Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:42 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : PC board and Circuit Design

jamarc

Posted: 09:10am 19 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does anyone have a great PC board and or Circuit Design program that they can recommend. One that is a reasonable cost and works well to produce PC boards.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:19am 19 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Jamarc,
I use Splan for schematics, lochmaster for veroboard design ans sprint layout for circuitboard design. Their website is here. I've been using them for a few years now and for the layman not experienced in electronics they are the way to go in my opnion.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan

Gill

Posted: 11:11am 19 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day jamarc,
Was looking for a stripboard(Veroboard) designer a while ago and whilst Bryan1's recommendation is reputed to be the best, I got the second best at http://www.geocities.com/stripboarddesigner I'm on my second version of this program and whilst it is not free, a free full trial version can downloaded. In spite the appearance that created circuits cannot be saved, this is not so, there is a simple trick that makes it happen.
First save the file and accept the 60,000 second delay, then go to open another file and you will be asked to save existing work. Click 'yes' then open any file (reopening the same one is my usual). That's it. Done. Saved and for free.
There is one piss-off with it in that there is no undo feature. Maybe mext version? I can send you my created components file if you want a few more basic components.

It might not be the best but it's easy and free and that suits me. Finished work looks better than most too.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

jamarc

Posted: 11:22am 19 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Gill and Bryan I'll download them both and give them a try.
cheers Mark

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:02pm 20 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I downloaded that sPlan. It is good, bugger about the demo mode, but I can still do screen shots. I've been looking for something to draw circuits for the web site and sPlan looks the best so far. In the past I used Eagle 4.16 and Smartdraw, Eagle was too overboard ( I'm still looking for a D25 connector in the library. There are hundreds of connectors in there and I cant find a simple D25! )and Smartdraw a little too simple.

Glenn

PS, Found the D25 in sPlan easy.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:12pm 20 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   I downloaded that sPlan. It is good, bugger about the demo mode, but I can still do screen shots. I've been looking for something to draw circuits for the web site and sPlan looks the best so far. In the past I used Eagle 4.16 and Smartdraw, Eagle was too overboard ( I'm still looking for a D25 connector in the library. There are hundreds of connectors in there and I cant find a simple D25! )and Smartdraw a little too simple.

Glenn

PS, Found the D25 in sPlan easy.

You could also try ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH. Both free. I used the SCHedule part to draw the wiring diagrams for my yacht and was happy with the result. I have not yet had a need to try the PCB design, years ago I did PCB designing full time with the black tapes and stick on symbols but changed jobs long since. So far vero boards have served me fine for my projects and I do not need a program for that.
Klaus

jamarc

Posted: 06:54am 23 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I Have just found a program called dip trace (http://www.diptrace.com/ )and had a bit of a play with it. It has good quick tutorials with it to get you started, a good circuit designer and PCB designer. If you draw the circuit in the schematic program you can import the circuit into the PCB designer and it will automatically design the PC board for you. Amazing to watch. It has a free version that can do up to 250 pins, over that it gets a bit pricey.

GWatPE

Posted: 01:35pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jamarc,

I have been using EasyEdit since 1990. I have tried many others. I had used Protel for windows, but the dongle stopped working and I had no luck with a new one. I couldn't afford to buy the later version. I went back to EasyEdit. I have recently tried Autotrax. This is not backwardly compatable with EasyEdit. {Sorry Amanda] I had thought of changing to AutoTrax, but the program has too many more sub menus and changing tasks becomes a problem. Too many clicks with the esc key or mouse.

EasyEdit will allow 10 layer separations and my latest cct needed 6 layers. You can get away with single layer boards as well. The component library is not too extensive. I have just recently modified all the components I use to include a solder mask as well. I tend to only design with SMD now.

I have used a breadboard and Dalo pen and veroboard with spotface cutting etc, but that was when I was at school. I make my own protoboards, but if I need to use plated through holes, or multiple boards, it is better to just send the artwork to someone with the gear.

I hope you find a program that works for you.

cheers, Gordon.
become more energy aware

ericvr

Posted: 09:43pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

I think that if you look for a DB25 connector you may have more luck.
a DB25 connector is a "D" style connector with 25 pins arranged in 2 rows of pins the top one is 13 pins and the bottom one 12 pins there is no standard for whet you use them for except if you want to use them as a serial or printer connector then certain standards do spply.you can find then at Dick Smith stores and at Jaycar also at various electronics hobby stores.
There is also a DB15 connector that has 15 pins in 2 rows of 8 pins and 7 pins respectively
again these are used for serial connection and do have specific pin outs which can be found inthe Dick Smith catalogue in the back pages
The can be got in vvarious configurations from solder ones for wires to the ones that you can mount on printed circuit boards.
Hope this helps

Ericvr

limited greenie

GWatPE

Posted: 10:54pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ericvr,

I think you will find that the DB15 was mainly used in PC's for the games port, which has been also used for a MIDI interface on the PC. I have also seen the DB15 used on Canberra instrumentation for the communication port.

The modern use for the 15 pin connector is in the DB9 shell format with 15 pins as the analogue PC display connector. This has 3 rows of 5 pins. This connector is extremely difficult to use on anything but professionally made boards. It is almost as bad as soldering quarter size SMD DIL components. [These are the ones with 0.025" lead spacing] I have used these sub miniature components in the analogue multiplexer on my logging board. Very difficult to solder. A bit like soldering a component with 16pins the size of a grain of rice.

Here is a photo of my logger multiplexer, 2 channel with 2 x 4 into 1, 2ohm resistance multiplexers compared to a 5 cent.

The IC's are the little black bits. I will leave you to ponder on that.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

ericvr

Posted: 11:02pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill,

You are absolutely correct, what I meant was to say the DB9 were used for serial connection, sorry about the mistake.
Thanks for reminding me.
The black bits are what we commonly call cockroaches or centipedes.

Thanks again

Ericvr

limited greenie

GWatPE

Posted: 11:31pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ericvr,

AS you are now aware, I am not Gill, but thanks.

I think you will appreciate that the components I am using are far smaller than a caterpillar, or cockroach or 5centipede.

Cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

commanda

Posted: 11:53pm 01 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Those little surface mount ic's. I solder one complete side in one hit with lots of solder, then suck up the excess with solder wick. The chips I use at work are CS5534's, 24 pin.

GWatPE

Posted: 12:50am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Commanda,

I don't do it for work, but I use a similar process.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

ericvr

Posted: 02:00am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Gordon for the misnaming.

I used to be in the electronics and computer business
before I retired in 2004.
Now I just tinker with electronics and windmills and solar panels for my brothers in law

EricvrEdited by ericvr 2007-12-03
limited greenie

GWatPE

Posted: 08:31am 02 Dec 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ericvr,

It is good when your hobby is subsidised by others.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024