Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:05 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : expected voltage output F/P 7phase 6 pole

Daniel Parker

Posted: 09:31am 16 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have spent the last few nights re-wiring an F/P to 7 phase 6 pole hoping to use it to charge my 48 volt battery banks, after testdriving with a drill in the vice I was a little disapointed to se a DC reading of only 10.4 volts, am I expecting too much? or have I done somthing wrong? The drill was a 720watt Makita drill running at about 600rpm, it was working hard to get the 10.4 Volts DC. Just to see what would happen I flicked the volt meter over to AC and found that I had 21 volts AC. If any one has some suggestions I would be eager to learn.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:05am 16 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Daniel

How did you have your meter test leads connected, were they just across two of the 7 wires? 7 phase is a little different from 3 phase, you need to measure across two leads that are almost opposite eachother, like number 1 and 4. Or you can measure from the star point to any of the 7 outputs, and then double this measurement and your close to the expected output.

Also the output from the stator will be in AC, so make sure your meter is on AC volts. Once its connected to the rectifier will you be able to measure DC volts at the rectifier output.

Let us know how you go, a 7 phase 6 pole should work well at charging 48 volts. And be carefull, at F&P at 600 rpm and you grab the wires with your bare hands could give you a nasty shock, or worse

Glen
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Daniel Parker

Posted: 11:36pm 16 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen , I measured the voltage after the rectifiers on my + and - DC leads that I hope to use to charge my batterys with. Testing from two opposite leads as you suggest returns a voltage of between 3.4 to 4 volts AC.

Daniel Parker

Posted: 12:04am 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After re-reading and looking at all of the pictures on how to re connect the F/P into a 7 phase 6 pole alternator I am confidant that I have done the correct thing, that is connecting the first seven coils together by the short or cut wire to create my common or star terminal , than unwinding the coil by one turn stretching it out and connecting it to the seventh coil around the stator , contiuing this untill I get back to my start point giving me 7 groups (phases) of 6 coils (poles) all in series originating from a common rail(star connection) Than by using 35 amp rectifiers to convert my seven phases of AC current into a + and - DC voltage. What I have not done is fitted the new magnetic hub, it hasnt turned up yet, Is my impatience my downfall? Will the new hub fix my low voltage problm?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:07am 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah-hah.

Thats it, yes you do need the new magnet hub before the 7 phase conversion will work. With the older hub, output is almost nill, which you have. The new hub has a different magnet count, which lines up as a 7 phase re-wire.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:26pm 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah-hah,,, I got caught with this one also --welcome to the club,lol.

We'd all be interested in your results,Daniel. I was a bit disappointed in the new stator/rotor combination,,so I'll watch out for your results.
I also tried a Neo rotor I put together , but didn't get the spacing of the magnets correct,so it failed.

Anyone out there made a Neo Rotor for the new type Stator yet ??? Interesting to know --no cogging,high o/p Etc !!??.
Also the new Stator is ,6mm wire,, great early voltage and lots of it ,,but what's the current max going to be ??. No problems with cooling ,so it may be great.

we'll see,,
Bruce
Bushboy

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:44am 18 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bruce I think Daniel is using the old 42 pole stators ( or at least I hope he is, the 7 phase conversion wont work on the new 36 pole stators ). Its because of the missmatch between the older stator and the new magnet hub that we get the cog free 7 phase alternator. My 7 phase conversion was pumping out 340 watt yesterday!

Glenn
JAQ

Daniel Parker

Posted: 02:39am 18 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes thats right Glenn , I am using the old 42 pole stator and I have been informed that I should resieve my new hub on wednesday (fingers crossed) so I will let you know how it all goes

robbo

Posted: 01:30pm 16 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Daniel,
What results did you end up getting with the 7 phase, 6 pole ?
I was looking at setting one of these up on a Vawt, as they are high volts, that cut in early.
Did you get a watts / Amps measurement ?

Thanks.

"the Earth was not given to us, by our fathers, rather, it is lent to us by our children".

dazler

Posted: 08:47am 17 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

doh thats why me 7p3p would not work on my old 42pole stator and hub
the new magnet hub is for the 36p stator?
darren

GWatPE

Posted: 09:02am 17 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

dazler said  thats why me 7p3p would not work on my old 42pole stator and hub. the new magnet hub is for the 36p stator?

The new rotor works with the 7phase conversion of a 42pole stator for no cogging. Gordon.
become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024