Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:35 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : voltage regulators

Linc

Posted: 05:44am 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

has anyone had success using automotive voltage regulators for solar or wind power battery charging?

Gill

Posted: 10:40am 17 Jan 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Linc,
As I understand it, the auto regulators work by sensing the battery voltage, and as it gets high it shuts down thr current to the alternator field windings. Those are the windings that make electro magnets to excite the stator. So with no power to the field winding there is no magnetic flux so no power is generated. Job done.

This method has no application for solar as they do not use magnets at all and much the same goes for the generators we use for windmills, they have permanent magnets and these cannot be turned off by the regulator.

I suppose in theory the voltage sensing circuit may be able to turn on a dump load when it turns off. If you are an expert in this field with samples to experiment with you may eventually have success though I feel you will spend heaps more time and money doing a conversion than you would making a purpose built unit. Personally I wouldn't waste my time looking at it.

I have heard this question asked before, so if you go ahead and have success let us know how you did it etc.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024