Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:30 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : High pole Asynchron Alternator/Engine

Jonasforssell

Posted: 06:18pm 29 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

I've been designing a Darrieus wind turbine for a while now. The spec is as follows:

approx 200 rpm
Asynchron motor/alternator connected to the grid
No gearbox
Roughly 2 kW peak power

Unfortunately, the low rpm amounts to a large number of poles needed on the motor/alternator. Most standard motors have 2 or 4 poles giving me 1450 rpm as the lowest speed. Quite a gearbox needed.

I read about the washing mashine motor on this page. Could that be an alternative? What power does that have?

Many thanks
/Jonas

GWatPE

Posted: 11:56pm 29 Feb 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jonas,

for 200 RPM would require 30 poles for 50Hz AC.

Grid connection has many rules. Anti islanding etc.

You would probably need 10 or so std. F&P alternators for 2kW. The matching of turns etc to required output voltage needs to be calculated.

I know of many failures with direct connected wind/grid systems.

I have found grid connect solar inverters offer a solution. Operating voltage limits have to be maintained.

I buffer the wind energy with a battery and voltage regulating DC/DC converter and then grid feed the surplus at a relatively constant voltage. The solar grid inverter handles the constant voltage, changing current better than the changing voltage and current, that is normally produced by a windmill.

My 2m HAWT produces up to 2.5kWhr RE per day that supplements power provided by the utility grid. About half of this power was previously wasted in a dump load. I have been able to get additional use from my solar grid system, so I didn't need a new special inverter.

If you get a direct connected system to work, then I imagine many people will be knocking on your door.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024