Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:37 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : use 12volts / Charge at 60 volts.

wind-pirate

Posted: 01:41am 24 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a wire schematic that one could use there battery bank at 12 volts. 400 amps. And then switch to charge at 60 volts, 80 amps.

"(5)12 volt batteries. Any voltage combo
Eg. 24,36,48,60 or more could be used.

"I don't want to post it yet".

I would like some thoughts about this first. and someone else to verify it also.

Disadvantages: ??
Advantages: ??

Ron.
THE Pirate.
stealing wind & solar energy is fun

GWatPE

Posted: 04:03am 24 Mar 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Ron,

I tried a similar type of wiring using DPDT switches in a solar car. The system had 15 series connected 12V M/C batteries and 10 that could be switched in series/parallel combination when more power was needed for hill climbing, array MPPT etc...

In the arrangement you have presented it is important that the load is able to be disconnected during the charging cycle. If you had discrete charging and discharging cycles then this arrangement can work. I cannot see too much use in a dynamic continuously loaded/charged system. Consideration needs to be given to the series/parallel combinations to keep the battery charging/loading currents balanced.

I hope this helps.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024