Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:02 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Wanted : Antenna tuning device

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:43am 09 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A bit off topic ,, but I've just aquired a frg7 hf receiver ... could anybody sell me a tuning unit for the longwire antenna I'm having to install ,,,or give me a Cct ,,or send me a tuning capacitor of the old (very)style plate capicitors that were common in old type radios...?? ( you know,,the Aluminium plate disc thingo's that we all wondered what the magic was about))

will pay you all the postage and charges ,,

Bruce
Bushboy

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 10:21am 09 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce, this site may be of interest if you don't have any doco's for your 'new' toy:
http://www.crocuta.com/FRG7/index.html

Re the tuner, it'll be quite a job to build one that covers the entire SW band or whatever band you're interested to listen to. I do have a box full of these variable capacitors left from my amateur radio construction days but they do come in specific values for the job in hand. One must have a suitable circuit to start with.

From personal experience I see no real reason why you want to tune a *receiving* antenna, make it as long as possible and high up, coupled with a good ground connection and you should hear the world if the ionospheric conditions are favorable. I have the FRG8800 which I used to listen to amateur SW but now is used for receiving the SSB weather forecast while sailing on my boat.
Tinker (VK6AKS)

P.S. I'm off for a long sailboat cruise so won't be able to reply for a few months.

Tinker
Klaus

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:18pm 09 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Klaus,, have a fair weather trip ,,, thanks for the reply ,,learning a bit more everyday,, I'll do what you said ....

Bruce
Bushboy

petanque don

Posted: 01:11am 10 Jun 2008
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many divisions of the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) have a buy and sell section.

An ex ham antenna tuner may do the job.

The modern ones are all automatic now but cost $$$$$$

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024