Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:56 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Wanted : PIC/Picaxe tutor in Melbourne

Eskimo

Posted: 11:03am 25 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

I am looking for somebody who is experienced with PIC/PicAxe controllers and is prepared to teach in person (Sth East Suburbs of Melbourne) me how to create a data-logger for a F&P generator (similar to those created by Gill, Gordon and Vasi).

I want a tutor to work with me on this specific project as opposed to doing a general course where I may or may not end up with a working data-logger.

If there are other suggestions how I can quickly learn the skills to create a data-logger please let me know.

Mark

GWatPE

Posted: 12:27pm 25 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Eskimo,

Are you intending to use a PC/Laptop as the data logger, or are you requiring the picaxe to record by itself? What sort of data logging rate are you hoping for? How many parameters were you hoping to record? Do you intend to have general picaxe programming skills at the end as well as a working data logger?

As you will see from Gizmo's piclog, the picaxe is the relatively simple part. Gill[RIP] went the extra distance to log into EEPROM with his anemometer.

I made my own interpretation of the picaxe hardware. The picaxe software is relatively straightforward. The logging PC software, PICLOG written by Gizmo, or my variant, is the user front end, and makes or breaks it. The logging component needs to be reliable with enough tools to make the data meaningful and viewable without the need for too many external programs.

The piclog in the form available on this website will work as is, with a PC. Are you just requiring the hardware component?

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Eskimo

Posted: 12:16pm 29 Oct 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi GWatPE

Yes, I need help with the hardware (electronics) component, I do have VB skills so i reckon i can get around the programming side of things.

I plan to use the logger with a Laptop and want to log Volts, RPM's, Watt data from a F&P peddle generator (will upload photo’s shortly), specifically to measure the output difference between differently configured generators.

Regards
Mark
Ps love the site.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:29pm 02 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi

What electronic skills do you have.
Can you produce a circuit board and solder etc.
Have you any knowledge of components.
As i am trying to gauge what level of help you require.
It is a simple project but would be difficult if you have never done electronic at a basic level.
I have thought about rehashing the picloger circuit and producing a wireless version and posting all the data of how to build it.
I think Gordon has already constructed a wireless version and sorted the software for it.
Gordon likes smd and this makes it hard for the lesser skilled to tackle such a project, so thought i might do a through hole version.
It is in the planning just need the time to sort it out.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Eskimo

Posted: 02:53am 06 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day

Wow a wireless version that would be awesome.

I am a relative novice with electronics, but very very eager to learn and willing pay for individual tuition if i know i will get a working logger at the end of the experience.

If this is a big ask of a forum member, can anybody suggest a TAFE/Uni/private course or pathway that could QUICKLY lead me to building my skill in electronics?

Regards

Mark

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:40am 06 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mark,

The big question is what is your skill level?
Honestly now.
If you dont want to post it here than send me an email i think my mail address is listed in my profile, just click on downwind in profiles.
I live in Adelaide so i am little direct help to you other than on line.
But i have an idea.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

GWatPE

Posted: 10:51am 06 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't think there is a quick pathway for learning VB or picaxe programming, or electronics.

I have made my own version of a piclog. The picaxe hardware is compatible with the VB code Gizmo has published on this site. Phillm has 2 of my picaxe units on his windmills. I am not keen on selling units really, as setup time is inversely proportional to skills. Units are relatively easy to break if incorrectly connected. To write an instruction manual could not be justified for a personal setup.

I used a 433MHz link a while back, but more reliability is achieved for logging with a direct connection. I will be trialling a new USB adapter that hopefully will improve the COMMs. I am looking at a USB powered 433MHz custom radio dongle for my portable logging. One less power adapter to find.

As downwind has implied, personal tuition is difficult from afar.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Eskimo

Posted: 10:48am 09 Nov 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Skill level = Beginner I would need to start from the basics.

I thought i was a long shot. My motto is "if you don't ask the answer is always no", so i had to ask.

I'll find a electronics short course and start there.

Thanks for your responces.

Mark

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024