Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:30 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Wanted : 12v wind mill for camping

luqman

Posted: 04:38am 14 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi im after a mill to power a 12v fridge and provide lighting at night so not after a huge watt unit thanks

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:51am 15 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahh, sounds like an f&P

Build it and they will come..... in droves
sounds like the best conversation starter I've heard of yet for the campsite.

My suggestion is for a low wind setup.
Use a 60 series de-cogged and re-wired as you're not worried about top end and go for a compact blade setup,
1.5m rotor

Whats the plan for a mast? Windmills generally aren't a 20 min exercise to set up like a tent and should it come down......going to hurt!

If we are talking about something that could be permanently attached on a telescopic pole on the back or roof of a caravan, I'm thinking the noise will keep you up at night.

Sounds like a real challenge but and F&P will do the job.

generally they need to be in good wind sites with good wind to make 300W+, so as you'll have neither of these 50W is a great expectation to have.

A 50W solar panel makes more sense but probably wont work at night!

Luck favours the well prepared

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:59pm 15 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

luqman said   hi im after a mill to power a 12v fridge and provide lighting at night so not after a huge watt unit thanks

I have a very efficient 12V fridge on my small sail boat and it takes just over 100W of solar panel power to keep cold (not frozen) on a longer trip. A few cloudy days and the generator must come on as well.
So, you are looking for a very windy site and a reasonably sized wind generator plus a decent deep cycle battery.
It may be better to consider solar and wind, rather than putting all your hopes on wind alone and it lets you down...

Klaus

luqman

Posted: 06:03am 16 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

we have a 80 watt solar just wanted to try this out also a 105 amph deep and where i'm going is very windy the hole time so was an idea i am heading to steep point in WA

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 06:27am 16 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rutland is a good thing but they are $1400 on ebay.....
going to need at least a 4m high tower to put it on too.

Very windy usually isnt VERY windy, very windy is a terrible place to spend a few days....

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

luqman

Posted: 11:32am 16 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

oh its windy only going for the fishing

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 16 Dec 2009
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

luqman said   oh its windy only going for the fishing

You are right, been sailing in Shark Bay often but not when it is too windy .

The smaller commercial units are your best bet but beware, some are noisy. A walk around a decent size marina would point out the quieter ones to you.
Still, its a lot of stuff to drag out there on that rutted track and then rig up securely. Maybe a fold down mast that attaches to your 4WD? As long as you are not planning to sleep in the car .

Good luck with the fishing, I prefer to do that by trolling from my yacht.
Klaus

petepower

Posted: 04:14am 12 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks . First of all I'm a complete novice in this game , and this might be slightly off the subject , but I have a camper van with a 100 AH auxillery battery which is only charged when plugged in to 240 volt . Is there such a thing as a wind generator / turbine that could be fitted to the camper van that could be charging this battery from the wind while driving (up to 100 km per hr ) Has this been done before or is it a dumb idea ?

oztules

Guru

Posted: 06:52pm 12 Jan 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your last comment is the most suitable. Charge it from the car is the simplest/safest way.
Village idiot...or... just another hack out of his depth

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024