Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:37 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Wanted : Hydro Gen and Alternators. wow!

kingull

Posted: 06:41am 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Micro hydro 200 metre head low flow application where I think it could be done this way:

Smart drive output 3 phase around 500 volts through 3 phase rectifier where output is around 400 volts DC piped into a Sunny Boy SMA SB1100 Grid tie inverter.

Yes I have been to Ecoinovation but he is hard to talk to.
I have found a Harris system that handles 600 foot head.
Found a Stainles Steel Pelton Wheel which should handle high heads.<code>http://www.h-hydro.com/<\code>

I would like to buy a ready made "Smart Drive" so I can build my own system. Any offers?Edited by kingull 2010-04-16

GWatPE

Posted: 06:46am 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a couple of stators, 80 series, and a bearing hub and shaft, to give away. No rotors, as these were given away already. One is a rewire, 7s2p with twisted poles, and the other is unmodified.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

kingull

Posted: 07:22am 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear Gordon, Thank you for your offer But I prefer a finished article and happy to pay for it.

kingull

Posted: 11:09am 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys, seems I have a better solution for my Micro Turbo High head application. This Ebay item 300415875868 will do nicely. He has three models of Alternators.
<code>http://www.h-hydro.com/</code> has a stainless welded Turgo wheel that runs at 6000 RPM. Perfect combination.

kingull

Posted: 12:56pm 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another good find: Wow! Stainless Steel shaft. Good price.
<code>http://www.windbluepower.com/Wind_Blue_Motor_Hyd ro_Permanent_Magnet_Alternator_p/dc-500.htm</code>
A nice Controller:
<code>http://www.windbluepower.com/category_s/34.htm&l t;/code>

SSW_squall

Posted: 02:21pm 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

200m head!

Kingull, do you live on the side of Mt Kosciuszko or something??

Those kind of head's are really quite serious!
I think i'd be aiming to make every thing out of stainless steel.
At almost 2000kPa you'd have to be talking about a steel penstock, becasue thtat is well out of the league of any plastic pipe.

Are you really planning to run the turbine at 6000rpm??
Surely it would be better to choose a larger diameter runner and have the shaft turn abit slower...

Sounds interesting, at only 0.25L/s or a cup of water per second at 200m could generate 300w at 60% efficiency.

Regards

AB
Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

kingull

Posted: 03:53pm 15 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey AB, Find me a bigger Stainless steel runner. I cant.

I had oil coming out of the top of the gearbox ball joint of the gear stick on our tractor on one of our slopes.
Kind of steep. Cant walk up the higher slopes at close to 45 degrees at a guess.

It is on the side of Mount Nullum and not far from Mount Warning. The tractor often would ski down the old banana trails in the wet. Solution, hit the accelerator.

An expert states one Kilowatt at 0.3 L\S 2oo metre head.
And that is Eco`s Mr. Michael Lawler.
His unit with plastic pelton wheel will not handle high heads.

As far as Plastic is concerned, an existing line has survived with a head tank half way. Was our house water supply. The 6000 RPM is relative to using an existing Turgo wheel in welded stainless steel rated at 6000 RPM for maximum power. The Windblue alternator can run way above 6000 RPM. Seems to be a good match.

The whole thing is experimental. I shall endeavour to get the most cost effective solution with class 18 pipe by running a flow\ friction loss combination that might exceed pipe ratings but not by much. Units might go tandem with one generator half way down the slope.

The units might be set to run at 231 foot head being the rating of my existing line.Edited by kingull 2010-04-17

SSW_squall

Posted: 12:29pm 16 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"An expert states one Kilowatt at 0.3 L\S 2oo metre head."

Not even a hydro generator is this good, it would have to be more than 100% efficient??

The Physics:

Gravitational potential energy = M x G x H

Mass x acceleration due to gravity x height

Therefore because 1L of water = 1kg

0.3 x 9.8 x 200 = 588 Watts of avaliable energy

At 60% efficiency = 350w output, which is typical for the average micro hydro turbine

This is still a resource definitly worth using...

AB

Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

kingull

Posted: 11:52pm 18 Apr 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To: SSW_Squall
I wont name the expert yet but he is mentioned on this forum on other posts and is a supplier of this type of equipment. He is generally admired as very helpful.
I thank you for your detail.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024