Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:03 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Wanted : Floating Timber Floors - What brands are

smithmiller63

Posted: 01:56pm 04 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Folks,

We are building a new house and want to install floating timber floors in our main living areas. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think a floating floor will be best for us, I want the 'real' wood, but haven't been able to change our plans to have propoer full timber floorbaords put in.

So, in sydney, what floating timber floor brands are available and what are your experiences with them? positive, negative, how easy to clean, how does the finish look, would you recommend them and so on.

timber floors sydney

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 04 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ,, I lived in Allambie heights years ago and had that floating floor stuff installed in the kitchen.

We had the blonde norwegian pine strips installed on some sort of rubber undermat.

A few points,, It's very easy marked from dropping things on it like knives, spoons, saucepans , Etc. especially around the kitchen sink . It marks easy from rubber soles and joggers ,etc.

I wouldn't install it again , my present floor is hardwood with 3 or 4 coats of poly eurathene clear coating ,, shows all the footprints and marks , but is easily cleaned and the polish finish comes back easy.

Big tiles are fairly popular these days ..

Have fun

Bruce
Bushboy

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:56pm 04 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

High Smithy

I maintained houses for my wifes realestate business a few years ago and noticed that the pine based floating floor was the most likely to be damaged from household accidents and furniture marks, the ones that had solid hardwood timber where the best but still marked. The two pack finish after laying was the best as it soaked into the joins and sealed the timber.

The laminated ones where the worst as they where pre finished and started to de-laminate from the joins.

Couldn't recommend any particular brand, but the ones with the underside sealed where the best.

All the best

Bob

PS

We had a rose wood timber one fitted in our house in Brisbane and it stood up good in the bedrooms but not in the hi traffic areas, replaced wit tiles after 3 years. It cost $65 sqm plus laying, unless you are very careful with the floor, tiles are better.Edited by VK4AYQ 2011-01-06
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024