Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:29 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Lunar Lander

Page 1 of 2    
vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:41am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I thought I would have a quick go at hacking together a lunar lander game.

Here is the result:

Use left/right arrows to rotate, [space bar] to fire engines.

LunarLander2.zip

I must say, the abilities of the Colour Maximite 2 make this a simple task in a number of ways.

For example, I wanted smooth lander rotation with all lateral movement generated by the main engine. I went with 19 sprites, each turned 5 degrees from the previous. This gave me 0 to 90 degrees. Sprite orientation finished the full 360 degrees. Nice!

Alas, my first attempt was a rather wobbly rotation. But then I thought, why am I doing all this image generation by hand? Duh, use the image rotate function! So the only sprite required is the lander straight up, with and without rocket flames. The program itself rotates the base image to each angle, then uses the result to make a sprite. Net result: 19 images with no burn, 19 more with engines firing.

Enjoy!
Edited 2020-07-07 12:42 by vegipete
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:05am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My first exposure to Lunar Lander was at the Air Force Academy on a PDP11. The program was loaded from paper tape, which took 43 minutes to load.

And for those of you wondering, no I wasn't a cadet. I was a high school student from just down the hill from Arnold Hall (being in Colorado, literally just down the hill).

The burning question in my mind is does it have the McDonald's on the moon? The original game did. I guess that I will have to play it to find out. :)

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's a minor update.

I added stars and the ability to fly off the top of the screen.

Also, basic lander performance characteristics are now constants near the top of the program.
LunarLander2v2.zip

Sasquatch

Posted: 11:20pm 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very nice VegiPete!  And challenging while being quite playable.

The Atari game and the CMM1 version also had some nifty sound effects and an exploding module when it crashed just to make sure you know you are dead!  Should be easy to implement?  Not trying to step on any toes here  
-Carl

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 04:55am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

@Vegipete
Great effort, Brings back memories, My first LL was text entries but I did play a version similar to yours.

Now we all know I am not great at programming but just for fun I put a bit of sound in there..
I quite like it and I am sure there would be better ways to do it, but hey I had some fun in between building Colour Maximite-II's

I had to adjust the volume right down near the start of the program as my sound box (No volume control) outputs the sound way too loud so you may have to adjust the volume to suit your setup..

Anyway I Hope someone else enjoys it too.

LunarLander2v3.zip

Kind Regards

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

realmnm

Posted: 11:48am 09 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I saw this and had the same idea, that it needed sound.  I did it a slightly different way, so I thought I would post my interpretation of it.

LunarLander2v2WS.zip

Martin
This signature intentionally left blank.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 07:19am 11 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I've had a fiddle too.
This is based on BigMik's, which is based on VegiPete's which is . . .
All I've done is added a volume adjustment and made the landing Pad green.
As with VegiePete's, left/right arrows rotate, space fires the rocket and "+", "-" alter the volume, and down arrow toggles mute on/off.

I've also changed the "Success" sound effect file to "Landed.MOD" ie "The Eagle has landed" but you can comment that out etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

LunarLander2v4.zip

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 06:16am 21 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  OK I've had a fiddle too.
This is based on BigMik's, which is based on VegiPete's which is . . .
All I've done is added a volume adjustment and made the landing Pad green.
As with VegiePete's, left/right arrows rotate, space fires the rocket and "+", "-" alter the volume, and down arrow toggles mute on/off.

I've also changed the "Success" sound effect file to "Landed.MOD" ie "The Eagle has landed" but you can comment that out etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

LunarLander2v4.zip

Did you mean to include the sound effect file in the zip? I only saw the main basic program file. The volume control is good though.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:06pm 21 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Capsikin,
Sorry about that. I'll post a new (improved) version, hopefully later today, and I'll include the missing files.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:14am 22 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,
Here is an updated Lunar Lander, hopefully with all the sound files - plus some.
Please let me know if it works, if it doesn't and any improvements "someone" should make.

Cheers,

Andrew

LunarLander2v5.zip

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 04:28am 22 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Hi All,
Here is an updated Lunar Lander, hopefully with all the sound files - plus some.
Please let me know if it works, if it doesn't and any improvements "someone" should make.

Cheers,

Andrew

LunarLander2v5.zip

Works for me!

For improvements, I'm kind of keen to see games supporting the nunchuk, classic controller, or CMM2 joystick interface convention. But first, is there anyone who'd want to test that?

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 05:43am 22 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the feedback capsikin.
I'm afraid that writing stuff for the NunChuck etc is out of my league but a joystick connection would be of interest to me too.

Cheers,

Andrew

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 06:06am 22 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I was looking at the other versions, I was thinking larger more pixelated text would give a nice retro look. But for your version with the gauges I think the small text suits it.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 05:41am 08 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all,

Here is an updated Lunar Lander. It is essentially the same but an untidy overwriting of the "Press [H|h] for help" has been fixed.

LunarLander2v6.zip

Cheers,

Andrew

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 08:36am 11 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Thanks for the feedback capsikin.
I'm afraid that writing stuff for the NunChuck etc is out of my league but a joystick connection would be of interest to me too.

Cheers,

Andrew

Here is a version based on your v6 and my new joystick library. It supports left, right, and fire, from the joystick (as well as all the keyboard controls already supported)

LunarLander2Controllers.zip

It's also supposed to support nintendo controllers once the library is debugged, I'll post updates on the library thread here:
CMM2: Joystick / Games controller library

Also I have another version of the library in the zip file that emulates the joystick functions (though not well) using inkey$, in case people only have a terminal keyboard instead of a USB-attached keyboard. I can give instructions for using that if needed.

update: version with updated library 0.2, more likely to work with Nintendo controllers: LunarLander2Controllers.zip
Edited 2020-08-11 22:18 by capsikin

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 03:01am 12 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well done Capsikin,
I'm not able to test the Joy/chuk aspects as I have neither but I'm pleased to see LL progressing.

Cheers,

Andrew
Edited 2020-08-12 13:01 by Andrew_G

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:58am 13 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There has been some nice work done to Lunar Lander 2!

The sun on the lunarscape is really nice.

I have embellished some more, resulting in
LunarLander2v7.zip.

I have amplified and wave-ified the "Eagle has landed" sound, added crumple landing and tuned the engine so it doesn't mis-fire.

I changed the velocity gauges to linear ones and added a circular attitude gauge, all mounted in a sort of control panel. I also turned the bar & circle gauge code into more general purpose re-useable routines.

Finally, I added a 'sudden unexpected violent disassembly' animation. ;-)

==========
I have alas not done anything with Capsikin's controller library. That looks like a superb bit of work that I must study more.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:51pm 13 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete, all,

What about side thruster animation (small jets left and right) and suitable sound effect?

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 08:31pm 30 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is an update to Lunar Lander.

This version, number v72, adds an introductory screen.

As usual, extract all five files to the same directory and run the BASIC file. Included are the 3 sound files and the single graphics file.

Note to thwill: if I had a clue how, I would be happy to add this to the demo tape. But I am gitless...

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:56pm 30 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Note to thwill: if I had a clue how, I would be happy to add this to the demo tape. But I am gitless...

Almost missed this message, best to ping me on the Welcome Tape thread too.

No worries about the update, I will sort it.

Thanks for doing this,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024