Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:41 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : How should a display connect and communicate with an MCU?

Mason

Posted: 01:17am 05 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How should a TFT LCD display connect and communicate with an MCU? Like connecting with Arduino or Raspberry Pi pico.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 01:47am 05 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking at the datasheet you send a series of hexadecimal codes over a normal TTL serial link. Search the Arduino / Raspberry forum to see if anyone has already written a driver for it. If not study the datasheet to get some clues to write your own.

Mason

Posted: 08:24am 06 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok, thank you very much for your reply, I will study it carefully.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 05:45am 07 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mason said  How should a TFT LCD display connect and communicate with an MCU? Like connecting with Arduino or Raspberry Pi pico.

Morning Mason... hope you are well.

In the question above, do you mean how to physically interface to a TFT LCD, or how to speak to it once you have it connected?

h

Mason

Posted: 10:00am 07 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
  Mason said  How should a TFT LCD display connect and communicate with an MCU? Like connecting with Arduino or Raspberry Pi pico.

Morning Mason... hope you are well.

In the question above, do you mean how to physically interface to a TFT LCD, or how to speak to it once you have it connected?

h

I mean it contains the link on the hardware and the communication after connection, it sent a flat 8pin cable, I don't know how should I connect it with Arduino or other microcontrollers.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 07 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you'll have to get the data sheet for that particular model of display. I don't think there is a standard as such and it's guesswork otherwise. It's not just a case of physically connecting it either, you'll have to figure out how the signals work.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:37pm 07 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With such a non-standard display, you may do better to switch to one with more established usage on the platform of your choice, unless it has particular features which you want to use and which you can't find elsewhere. Does it?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

phil99

Guru

Posted: 01:51am 08 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the hardware side of it, the datasheet shows which pins on the cable are for power (Vcc 3.3V and Ground) and TTL serial transmit and receive (Tx & Rx). Tx on the display goes to to Rx on your MCU and Rx on the display to Tx on the MCU. If the MCU uses 5V signals (eg Arduino) you may need a voltage divider to reduce its Tx to 3.3V.
1.8k in series with 3.3k should work.
This isn't just an LCD touch screen, it has it's own MCU and memory into which programs can be loaded. There is a lot to learn. Search their website for instruction manuals and sample programs for it.

Best of luck,
Phil

Mason

Posted: 02:44am 08 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I think you'll have to get the data sheet for that particular model of display. I don't think there is a standard as such and it's guesswork otherwise. It's not just a case of physically connecting it either, you'll have to figure out how the signals work.

Yes, thanks for your reply, I will go to the official website to find the details.

Mason

Posted: 02:51am 08 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  

With such a non-standard display, you may do better to switch to one with more established usage on the platform of your choice, unless it has particular features which you want to use and which you can't find elsewhere. Does it?

Yes, you are right, STONE's serial screen with its own GUI design, I think it is very convenient than the ordinary touch screen also needs to download GUI software, and it has more interfaces I can choose more microcontrollers, there are other extensions such as wifi / Bluetooth module, IO / I2C interface, MODBUS / CANBUS protocol support.
Overall I think it is a screen worth my time studying.

Mason

Posted: 02:55am 08 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99 said  For the hardware side of it, the datasheet shows which pins on the cable are for power (Vcc 3.3V and Ground) and TTL serial transmit and receive (Tx & Rx). Tx on the display goes to to Rx on your MCU and Rx on the display to Tx on the MCU. If the MCU uses 5V signals (eg Arduino) you may need a voltage divider to reduce its Tx to 3.3V.
1.8k in series with 3.3k should work.
This isn't just an LCD touch screen, it has it's own MCU and memory into which programs can be loaded. There is a lot to learn. Search their website for instruction manuals and sample programs for it.

Best of luck,
Phil

Yes, you explained it in great detail, I think I understand how to connect it, maybe I need to strip the wires I need to use and then solder them on the Dupont wire and plug them into the Arduino board.
I'll continue to take the time to work on it, thanks so much for your patient response!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024