Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:55 24 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : Build a Mppt 3 Kw Charge Controller

Page 8 of 10    
Ghost

Posted: 10:51am 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

140a, what a current 🤕.

azhaque

Posted: 12:35pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar Mike said  
  azhaque said  Oven 3KW thats 60 amps a

Will think about best way to allow a Master controller to assume control over the others.

Cheers
Mike

PZEM-016: Measuring Range 100A (external transformer) With Coil CT

Specifications:
Voltage:
Measuring range:80~260V
Resolution: 0.1V
Measurement accuracy: 0.5%

Current
Measuring range: 0~100A
Starting measure current: 0.02A
Resolution: 0.001A
Measurement accuracy: 0.5%

I just ordered the above from China. I now have some hands on experience with Modbus and Esp8266. I think I can make the master controller idea work with this thing.
Only costs 10 USD
Also available for DC with shunt resistor for up to 200 amps
azhaqueEdited by azhaque 2019-04-24

Ghost

Posted: 05:37pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mike, I suffered pic microchip freezing at higher current above 30a with my previous mppt before I then isolate the pic gnd and buck gnd, now everything is stable, but isolation is way cost, I want to ask you "adding tvs diodes across PV input, will it limit the EMi generated by the Inductor ?" I use only 470uf at the PV input .

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 05:39pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

azhaque said  
  Solar Mike said   What sort of max charge currents and voltage are you expecting to use azhaque, that require parallel controllers.

Oven 3KW thats 60 amps at 48vdc
Aircon is another 50 amps
Fridge and Deepfreezer 6 Amps
Battery charging under bulk 30 Amps for now.

That brings the total to 140 Amps. Of course it would not practical to run the aircon and the oven simultaneously. So the range is from 40-100 amps at any one time.

I am off grid, so nothing to complement solar

azhaque

Do all these run on 48V?

I have two 1kW arrays and I have kept them at 106V nominal each. That keeps the current at 9A

I wish I could parallel them but I have repeatedly failed to do so.

I can power almost all home units (laptop, TV, lights, modified oven so it runs on 230v) without an inverter (straight 230v DC) using this.

For surge currentABILITY I will need either a large cap bank (in progress) or grid share (not an option for you BUT I'm working on it too)

Is 230V that not an option for you?

PS: Even with this, I will have to learn and implement load sharing between these two arrays and the grid because the voltages change too much and I want to use diode OR config. if possible. Let me know if you want a separate thread to brainstorm this

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 06:25pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Two ways to tackle a problem like this.

1/ Go to a higher system voltage, 100v dc @75 amps, or 200v dc @ 38 amps would be far more practical.

2/ Run the inverter direct from the solar panels, and use the solar controller only for charging the battery.
Cheers,  Tony.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:41pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ghost said   Hello Mike, I suffered pic microchip freezing at higher current above 30a with my previous mppt before I then isolate the pic gnd and buck gnd, now everything is stable, but isolation is way cost, I want to ask you "adding tvs diodes across PV input, will it limit the EMi generated by the Inductor ?" I use only 470uf at the PV input .

Yes careful design needed to prevent ground loop interference, opto-couplers work well here.

No, TVS diodes across the pv input will have no effect on EMI; you will require a ferrite cored choke with suppression caps to stop your panels acting as an antenna for generated EMI.

Cheers
Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 10:52pm 23 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said   Two ways to tackle a problem like this.

1/ Go to a higher system voltage, 100v dc @75 amps, or 200v dc @ 38 amps would be far more practical.

2/ Run the inverter direct from the solar panels, and use the solar controller only for charging the battery.

I agree, that's why we are going to 150 - 180 vdc pv array input voltage for the three mppt controllers used on the 50v lead carbon bank. We could move the storage bank voltage to 100v, but gets more problematic getting standard off the shelf components to run at the higher voltages and more hazardous, we are using a lot of DC solenoids\pumps etc for controlling water flow running direct off the bank supply.

azhaque

Posted: 01:23am 24 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LadyN said   Do all these run on 48V?

No, 230 VAC. The inverter that powers these devices is on 48 VDC. For redundancy I have a second inverter running at 24VDC that powers the lighting fans wall sockets etc. It is run off a 2.5K solar array.

LadyN said   I have two 1kW arrays and I have kept them at 106V nominal each. That keeps the current at 9A

I wish I could parallel them but I have repeatedly failed to do so.

I have 4 arrays, two each of 2.5K nominal and 2 more of 3.5K nominal. Previously these were just two, 5K and 7K, based on similar panels. However I have had to reconfigure them to 4 exactly for the reason that you have mentioned.

LadyN said   Is 230V that not an option for you?

It isn't right now because I am using commercial CCs that have a 96 VDC upper limit. I am waiting for SolarMike to finalize his 200 VDC MPPT CC which I will then deploy in place of my current PWM units. I need to parallel the CC outputs to increase current capacity.

I don't think direct paralleling of arrays is possible except by having an intervening electronic system. SolarMike was talking about a multi-phase unit for the future so that system expansion can be easily managed. I am not sure this concept has been studied or not for the domestic market. I am sure that it would be available for the commercial (solar power generation for the grid) market. Maybe this can be studied in this forum.

azhaqueEdited by azhaque 2019-04-25

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 06:09pm 24 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

azhaque said  
I don't think direct paralleling of arrays is possible except by having an intervening electronic system. SolarMike was talking about a multi-phase unit for the future so that system expansion can be easily managed. I am not sure this concept has been studied or not for the domestic market. I am sure that it would be available for the commercial (solar power generation for the grid) market. Maybe this can be studied in this forum.

I am definitely interested!

Do you have a link to the post where you saw this?

Also, in this thread I make this observation:

LadyN said  It's entirely possible I'm overthinking this and putting three diodes in parallel to connect each power source to a common sink might work out well in practise because the load might cause whichever source that's active at that time to droop low enough when (over)loaded that the other source takes over until it can't provide all the power, and then the other source takes over and so on?

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 25 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why the difficulty in paralleling them? LV arrays have been paralleled for decades without issue

(A blast from the past, my first offgrid place was 3kw, at 24v, using 2 100w 12v panels in series, then the lot paralleled , using copper waterpipe as busbars (flattened out by driving a truck over them!)

Electronics that could handle that kind of power was way out of my reach at the time, so it had a rather crude 'macguyver' reg system- it just poured the power into the batteries (a uteload of ex telstra exchange batteries) which usually took it without too much hassle, but if the voltage rose dangerously high, a voltage sense circuit made from a modified 24v truck generator regulator literally pulled a pin out of a knife switch with a solenoid (said switch shamelessly 'borrowed' from the railways) which had a lead weight hanging off it- and with a rather impressive spark it would shut off- telltale was a piece of fishing line run into the house that pulled a indicator flag from a signal box (also borrowed from the railways) into the red 'tripped' position

Things have changed, just a bit...

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 09:57pm 25 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Good morning Boppa,

What a beaut story, a real BACKSHED type yarn.... I can just imagine it..

Luv the water pipe bit, she's a real story out of the Ol Foottrot Flats comic book -Youse young guys don't know that comic book ,a dinky-di Aussie comic book.

I digress, sorry.

A good story,

Bruce
Bushboy

BrianD

Posted: 11:57pm 25 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Brucedownunder2

Footrot flats comics were written by Murray Ball and he wasn't an Aussie

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 02:07am 26 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Boppa said   Why the difficulty in paralleling them? LV arrays have been paralleled for decades without issue

Quite correct there Boppa, paralleling isnt generally an issue, however if the charge controller say has an upper safe charge current of 60 amps, and we add additional PV to the system that could allow that 60a to be exceeded; that is the problem.

If the array can supply 100 amps charge current and the controller can only handle say 60, then it must current limit in a very fast manner to prevent damage at the buck switching rate. The current transducer generally outputs an averaged current not a peak pulse value depending on the device used. I could use a fast transducer and alter the PWM value on a cycle by cycle basis to prevent overload, or do as currently and average (slower) combined with huge overload capability in the switching devices.

If you look at the spec's of most controllers they have a max PV input power capability and the cheaper ones would probably blow up if exceeded, ie they cannot current limit.

Cheers
Mike

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 05:03am 26 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahha, sorry, I was reading it as the arrays weren't outputting full output power when paralleled unless each array had its own controller, which didn't make sense to me (I had just driven 600km, which may have been a factor LOL)

(I had every Footrot Flats cartoon book when I was a kid lol- Didn't hear about it at the time, but he died in 2017)
:-(

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 27 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't wait to this controller is finished

I'm betting it's going to be one of the best ones in the world
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

LadyN

Guru

Posted: 07:20pm 30 Apr 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, this is the power board and I'm really hoping Mike ends up using an ARDUINO platform like the STM32 or the ESP32 for the brains.

I understand Mike wants to put in battery charging algorithms in here but with an ARDUINO codebase, the MPPT bit could be used to make a MPPT inverter instead that could power share with rectified grid.

The ESP32 excites me because it specifically has I2S, ULP, RMT and the like that makes this a wonderful controller to use.

It has two regular cores and of course the above ultra low power (ULP) third core.

Because of the built in BT or WiFi, it allows one to run an asynchronous webserver on it that will allow one to remotely monitor what the mainprocessor sees.

The control program runs on the other core.

When the sun goes down, it can shut down the two regular cores to reduce power needs and use the third ultra low power (ULP)core to see if it should come up.

If we can go this route, except the PCB and the capacitors, the BOM cost could very well be $50 or less!

$50 for a 3kW MPPT Buck convertor!

Mike will know better of course.

azhaque

Posted: 06:35am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mike,

I have been looking at the circuit from the point of view of implementation once the circuit design is finalized.

One of the local issues in Pakistan is availability of components. So I always view any project from component availability perspective.

The ZXGD3005E6 that you have used to increase gate current/charge capacity is likewise not available locally. So I have been researching a replacement for this component.

The datasheet for the 3005E6 does not give the internal block diagram of the chip. However the datasheet of the 3009DY shows a simple two transistor totem pole arrangement. So I am assuming that the 3006 wouldn't be much different.

So my question is whether I should look at the possibility of using discrete transistors as a replacement for the 3005.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 07:04am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

azhaque said   ... The ZXGD3005E6 that you have used to increase gate current/charge capacity is likewise not available locally. So I have been researching a replacement for this component.

So my question is whether I should look at the possibility of using discrete transistors as a replacement for the 3005.

Strange, that chip is pretty much available at nearly all the large suppliers (RS, Element14 DigiKey etc) at approx 50c each, all over the world.

No you cannot use discrete transistors without complete re-design of the pcb.

Cheers
Mike

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 08:46am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LadyN said   ..Yes, this is the power board and I'm really hoping Mike ends up using an ARDUINO platform like the STM32 or the ESP32 for the brains....

I have ordered a couple of STM32 boards to play with, by profession I'm a dot net programmer, so it will be a bit of a learning experience to move to another platform.... Used to higher level object orientated languages.

Mike

Ghost

Posted: 10:37am 10 May 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Mike, can I use 1 piece of irfp4568 (180a silicon limited) to switch PV input in a 45a mppt , typically maximize PV current is 28a to 30a . And what about 2*irfb4115 (to220 130a silicon limited) . Please which is better recommended ?

Page 8 of 10    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024