Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:18 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Inverter PCB’s

Page 28 of 29    
ryanm

Posted: 06:53am 22 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, I'll give it a go with the cuts. Postage on skinny overseas ones is a bit harsh.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:41am 22 Jan 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BTW the Mad control board logs the highest temp that the heatsink and torroid has seen.
My heatsink fans have a target of 40c, their max has been 44c

Torroid has a target of 50c, their max has been 54c.

Now that has been in the summer Melb temps of 40c plus for a few days in a row, so that is actually pretty bloody good considering.

Caps should be fine at 40c, but you can lower the setpoint if you want. But don't forget they probably wont actually be getting to 40c, that is the reading the sensor is picking up that is mounted to the heatsink close to the fets, the fins will be a lower temp normally, unless it's getting cained sh*tless.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Madness

Guru

Posted: 06:52am 11 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have had a few people asking if PCBs are still available, yes I have all types available.

$10 Regulator PCB Plus $2 for Terminals
$95 Regulator kit for PCB and all parts on it and LCD not including current sensor($23 posted on Aliexpress)
$5 Dual Fan Controllers
$15 Inverter Control PCB
$18 4KW Inverter Power PCB Plus $2 for Terminals
$30 8KW Inverter Power PCB

Postage in Australia is $15 up to 1KG and $17 for up to 3KG.

I am happy to post anywhere in the world, just ask for a price.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nickskethisniks
Guru

Posted: 09:18am 15 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness wich frequency are you using in the regulator for driving the mosfets?

Thanks!

Madness

Guru

Posted: 12:34pm 15 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nickskethisniks said   Madness wich frequency are you using in the regulator for driving the mosfets?

Thanks!

980 Hertz.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 02:55am 19 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is this something that a newbie like me could do I have a 52 pound transformer and a few soldering irons
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Madness

Guru

Posted: 06:08am 19 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BenandAmber said   Is this something that a newbie like me could do I have a 52 pound transformer and a few soldering irons

If you have to ask then probably not.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 11:04pm 23 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Madness thanks for the reply
I appreciate all input I am very determined
I have been studying day and night for about 8 months now one day I will be ready
to take on a oz or warpspeed inverter until then I will have to settle for premade china board
unless someone has pity on me and sells me one lol
I know have long way to go
I'll just keep on reading what you guys on here say thanks for the opportunity
I will keep studying and I truly do appreciate any comment
if someone gets mad at the truth then they're not going to learn anythingEdited by BenandAmber 2019-02-25

Tvixen

Posted: 02:10pm 01 Mar 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Madness and thanks for a great tread.

As i read your PCB details for the control board, you use a shunt to measure the DC current. Right ?

If you use a shunt resistor(on the low side), do you have the common ground
on the hot or cold side of the shunt?

I'm asking because if i connect the Nano to hot grount, there'a a lot of noise on the ground line when I turn on the inverter. But the question is, what's the right way to do it?

See attached.

Br Tim

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 01 Mar 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The ground cold as you call it is connected to the Battery only, everything else is connected to ground hot including earth.

The shunt is very low resistance so should not matter regarding the noise anyway, check all your connections are making good contact and earth it as well.

Tvixen

Posted: 07:44am 04 Mar 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok.... So my lineup is correct. Must be the ads1115 sniffing some of the 25khz from the powerboard then. I will try "yet" another filter on the differential input then.... Thanks for your input and the fast reply

Br Tim

arthur8

Posted: 02:17pm 11 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've just read this entire topic.

Your work is just fantastic, Mad. No words to thank you.

Madness

Guru

Posted: 09:17pm 11 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After Poidas recommendation my stock of 8KW power boards is getting low, I will need to order some more. Still have plenty of other PCB's.

The 4KW version of the power board is simpler and easier to build also the transformer required is half the size. The 4KW is no toy and will run a modest off-grid home easily.

The screw terminals are for the Negative power input, you can still solder it directly to the bottom of the PCB but this version allows running 6 smaller wires to the PCB and screwing them on. This makes it easier to mount and requires minimal clearance under the PCB. CThe control board connection is the same as for the 8KW PCB so will work with Poidas or my control board.
Edited by Madness 2019-06-13

ryanm

Posted: 12:36am 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any difference in idle current between the two power boards with the same transformer?

I am looking at fully populating my 8kW board then running it on a single toroid. (I have four toroids here, but I'm too lazy to unwind the secondary and stack them)

Madness

Guru

Posted: 12:47am 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There would be very slightly less with the 4KW as it does not have (or require) the TOTEM pole drivers that are on the 8KW.

You could run 2 single Toroids in parallel, but if you want low idle current then better to do it properly and completely unwind and double up the cores.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 03:18am 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is one awesome board

ryanm

Posted: 11:16pm 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was thinking about making a second inverter to go in the back of my ute for work / camping. Ideally I'd like to be able to run a 10A MIG welder off it for short periods of time. I've already written off 12V, do you recon I could get away with a 24V inverter with enough omph?

Madness

Guru

Posted: 11:25pm 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At 24V you are going to have double the current of a 48-volt system at the same power. So the 4KW board would be good for 2KW continuos, you should have no trouble running at around 4KW for a minute or 2. If you are just doing emergency repair type work with short beads then you should be able to get away with it.

However, why not just go 48V, you can configure a bank to the size you require. It is going to have to deliver power you are asking for. Lithium batteries may be the way to go to get the current plus smaller size and weight.

PS if it is an inverter welder it will be much easier to power.Edited by Madness 2019-06-14

ryanm

Posted: 11:31pm 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My other thought was has it configured as four 12V in parallel for charging and everyday use, then swap the cell orientation around to series if I have to run the inverter. Pretty new idea so I haven't had a chance to look into it too much, but I'm a bit afraid for how much the cell switching setup would cost given the currents involved.

Madness

Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 12 Jun 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could charge a 48-volt battery with a Boost Converter like this.

Edited by Madness 2019-06-14

Page 28 of 29    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024