Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:18 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC-12 old vs new module....

Page 4 of 9    
Azure

Guru

Posted: 01:02am 26 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  I though a crystal was a crystal was a crystal - so long as it's frequency is accurate.

Yes and No, it depends on the application for most general use that would be a fair statement.

From my memory using different Tx/Rx Freq crystals was for one way communication. The crystals were matched (or mismatched depending on how you look at it) by the IF frequency.

Each Crystal was still marked with the crystals actual frequency, just they used a different frequency in the Tx unit and the Rx unit.

This meant for the remote controls back then you had to have a Tx/Rx pair for every channel you were going to use in your remote. Hopefully the Rx unit was easy to access to swap the Rx Crystal, sometimes they were tucked away for replica or small scale models.

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 01:19am 26 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My experience with radio control was very limited but I seem to remember Xtals could be marked e.g. T27.xxx for Tx and R27.xxx for Rx and the two frequencies, although marked the same, were different by the IF. I think there was also a letter code.
My experience was in two RC tanks for a nephew who was only 50 at the time.
Peter

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 01:30am 26 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Correct PeterB, also used was a grey heatsrink for rx and a black one for tx
The marking was 'usually' for the nominal frequency, the actual frequency the crystal ran at could be a number of different actual frequencies, depending on use, it could be at the actual frequency, it could be (from memory here, so actual numbers may be wrong) 455khz out, 10.7or 10.8??mhz out, or it might be used at a multiple so if using 2nd harmonic could be half the cases written frequency
There were also different 'cuts' which had an effect as well, but that I am hazy on (was a long time ago I regurly played with them, back in the old 18/23 channel cb's and 3 channel dse/tandy walkie talkies, then remote controled planes for a while)

One trick we used to do to get 'private' channels on crystal controlled two ways was swap the rx and tx crystals on one channel, that way standard sets couldnt pick up our tx's (good for fox hunts lol)- also worked when you were in congested airways in the city
(are you PeterB from SSSF by any chance?

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 01:37am 26 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have often wondered if it was possible to swap Xtals and hence move the channel by twice the IF.
I am not PeterB from SSSF, well I don't think so. What is SSSF?
Peter

oops. Move the channel by the IF. I hope that's correct.
PeterEdited by PeterB 2018-04-27

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 01:39am 26 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Was an old forum now closed that had a PeterB as well (was run by the ABC for Dr Karl)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:20am 27 Apr 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UPDATE:

Phil over at the PICAXE forums has received two of my clone modules, and has tested the crystals - they are stunningly bad......

An extract from an email that he sent me:

[Quote=Phil from PICAXE forums]28.5MHz and less than half the amplitude of the signal across the “T300” crystal![/Quote]

Please visit the PICAXE thread for an image he has posted comparing the genuine with the clone crystals.

I have asked him in an email if I can repost his image here, because you can't get the full-size image from the PICAXE forums, unless you are logged in, and many members here won't be members of the PICAXE forums. As soon as he says that is OK, I will re-post his image here.

EDIT: Permission granted from Phil to re-post his scope image, so here you are:

For a crystal that is supposed to be 30.000MHz, this is not good.... Edited by Grogster 2018-04-28
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:41am 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a little update for this thread:

[Quote=reginald on the PICAXE forums]I had three HC-12 30mhz crystal variant left whch did not communicate well(or at all) over distance with my T300 type. I obtained new crystals from farnell type

7M-30.000MEEQ-T - Crystal, 30 MHz, SMD, 3.2mm x 2.5mm, 10 ppm, 10 pF, 10 ppm, 7M Series stock No 2308724

Swapped these today and now all three boards are happy chatting away with no errors. One was a USB type plugin which failed and on opening up it had a HC-12 board piggy backed on the USB board which I had swapped with 30mhz type (before I new the difference) and wondered why it didin't work. Shows not all crystals are equal.[/Quote]

I have ordered some new crystals, but they are not here yet. I got mine from Element-14 here.

I am now very hopeful that I can revive some of my dead ones by recrystallizing them.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 02 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

good stuff! keep us in the loop

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:17pm 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs, you're famous - this HC-12/crystal problem thread made "Hackaday" - here
Greg

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:17pm 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... which completely justifies the in-depth detective work undertaken by the entire thread. Just look at the coverage and potential pain you have saved others.

good stuff!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congrats to Grogster!

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:55pm 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ paceman - thanks very much for the link! Crikey!

Nice to see most of the comments support what we have found out thus far. Usually, the comments section on blogs can get nasty if people still think you are wrong. For the record, I am perfectly prepared to accept anyone else's point of view, and if they can demonstrate that the testing done thus far was fundamentally wrong, I will listen.

There. That should keep everyone happy.

My replacement TXC-genuine crystals have arrived, and when I get a spare moment, I plan to replace the crystal on one module with the TXC one, and see if I can replicate the results from reg on the PICAXE forum thread.

I am quite hopeful that I will. (fingers crossed)

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:38pm 08 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, after about half an hour, I have replaced one 30.000MHz crystal, with a genuine 30MHz one, and just like reg on the PICAXE forums, this module now works spot-on frequency as it should be.

Replacing the tiny crystal package was a pain in the arse. Reg made it sound so simple.... I will practise on another module tomorrow. I think part of the problem is my rework station has a very small nozzle on it - 2.5mm OD, and 1.8mm ID, which is pretty small, and I think it just is not heating up the crystal package evenly enough, cos even if you 'Draw circles' around the package, one side is cooler then the other, and starts to re-solidify and then the bloody thing won't shift.

Even with my rework station up at full-temperature, and air on 2.5 of 8, it took ages to get the old one to move, and ages to get the new one to reflow. Perhaps I am doing something wrong there with my technique. My rework station is a Hako 851 if anyone is interested. It would be quite old now I think. Perhaps it is time I got another one along the lines of something like this.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:19pm 08 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well done grogs - you are the HC-12 master!!!

I had one of those heat guns... packed up after an hour and got a refund. The magic smoke came out - really!

Went for one of these (same item, different seller) instead and it has done sterling work with no hassle

seen on the benches of a few leccy nerds I follow on YT alsoEdited by CaptainBoing 2018-05-10

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:10am 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I have seen those ones around on videos etc often, so they are obviously quite popular. I have ordered one of the ones I linked to. I like that one, as it comes with 9 nozzle types including a QFP one. With this, I am hopeful for better results then with the Hako one with the tiny nozzle, because I can choose a nozzle that is bigger and get more even heating for crystal removal/replacement.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:45am 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well done Grogster!

Just when I was going to buy some to play with. All I need to know now is - where to buy genuine HC-12s from? Am I best to always buy them from the one supplier so they all should at least be compatible with each other.

Looking at the many hits I get on the web only the ones on the HC01.com site look genuine that I can tell but I don't know how to purchase from them.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:18pm 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Am I best to always buy them from the one supplier so they all should at least be compatible with each other.[/Quote]

Yes, probably.

Turbo46 said  Looking at the many hits I get on the web only the ones on the HC01.com site look genuine that I can tell but I don't know how to purchase from them.

That's cos h01.com is the genuine manufacturer of the HC12 modules.
You can't purchase from them for the same reason I and many others can't - we don't speak Chinese so can't decipher the website.

I would love to order direct from them too, but.......

Modules from this seller look to be genuine, but that is only going on their word. As a guide, genuine ones should cost about US$5 or so each. The cheap ones for half that price are most likely fakes.

I have also bought more then 100 HC-12's from this store and they have all been genuine, but there is no way to know if they are also now being supplied with the fakes. I have purchased five from them again last week, and when they get here, I will test them.

The first link above do seem to make a point of saying they order all their stock from the manufacturer, so they are probably one of the safest traders at the moment - assuming what they say there about that is in fact the truth.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   ... when they get here, I will test them.

that little gadget you made is going to earn its keep! A great addition to the test gear in your lab (and several others I suspect ) I would be tempted to bolt on a MM and have it run a series of tests just to give a Go/NoGo indicator as a complete stand-alone box.Edited by CaptainBoing 2018-05-10

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 02:44pm 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster,

Could you measure the HC-12 module. I am busy with the tibbit enclosure and i think it will fit nicely when i include a footprint for such a module.
I have ordered some but the sooner i get the dimensions the better.:)

ONLY when you have time of course!!

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:20pm 09 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ CaptainBoing - Now that's an idea! Hmmmmmm.........

@ MicroBlocks - Here you go:

I cropped this image from one of the listings on AliExpress.

Page 4 of 9    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024