Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:16 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC-12 Tester/Programmer PCB 1A...

Page 2 of 3    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:29pm 03 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So many good ideas coming being posted here. We might have to have a poll to work out which one to use!!!!

I do like Quazee137's one above.

EDIT:

@ Azure - Yes, that is also my thoughts. 3D printers are getting cheaper all the time. Perhaps sometime soon I will shell out for one.Edited by Grogster 2018-05-05
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:49am 04 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   So many good ideas coming being posted here. We might have to have a poll to work out which one to use!!!!

Toggle Clamp. really like that, fast to use too

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 07:34am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs,

I've got 5 more HC-12s on the way (plus 2 USB ones).
Are you selling the PCB/Kit/Pogo pins? (I would use my own brick to hold 'em down).

More seriously, if the 5 pin header at the top of the HC-12 had a protrusion you could place the board under it and lower it down to the bottom pins. Then you would only need a smaller clip (or brick) at the bottom.

Cheers, Andrew

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 08:00am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  
I've got 5 more HC-12s on the way

Hi Andrew, Where did you end up ordering the standard HC-12's from.
Thanks
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:03am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Andrew_G - Not selling kits on the website, but I can put it up if you are interested. Give me a day or two.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 08:50am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd try something like this from a spring steel clip a bit like they use on some heat sinks, but with the catching edges facing outwards, so you can squeeze them in to get them down the slots & then squeeze again to release them.

bit like these, but with some insulating material below.

Legs are wrong above, would need to be folded 90° outwards & have just enough width the fit down the slots.

Phil.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:39am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's up on my website here.
Currently only listed as a full-kit, but I plan to add just the blank PCB tomorrow, so if that is what you are really after, just wait till tomorrow.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:22am 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs, I'll order one full kit tomorrow, cheers, Andrew

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:27pm 05 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

1) Grogster - just ordered a kit
2) Chopper - sorry I lost track of your question (iPad late at night). I bought a couple of batches ages ago from Banggood - they have been great. Given Grogster's concerns about "fake" units I went for the same this time round:

Here

At least I might have all fakes or all genuine??

Cheers,

Andrew

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:16am 06 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Andrew.
They have this note so they could be fakes ( ), so good idea getting them from the same place.
Note: HC-11 cannot communicate with the HC-12, they work independently, in pairs
ChopperP

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 02:12am 06 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Chopper, I think/hope that in the back of my mind it is more to do with the 11 being superseded by the 12 and that they are not backward compatible.

Andrew

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 02:53am 06 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, could be right.
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:59pm 06 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Andrew_G - Your kit will be sent today.

The HC11 is not compatible with the HC12, and the HC12 is not backwards compatible from what I have been able to read on the subject. You are PROBABLY safest buying from the same seller you have had a good run from before. That is not to say that they might start selling the fakes also, as they won't know themselves probably!

I myself have bought five from the store I always used to buy them from, and if they seem OK, I will buy another ten. I had bought two batches of FIFTY from this seller before, and they were all genuine ones. The trouble is that you never know when the fakes will turn up, as unless the sellers get their modules directly from the manufacturer.......

I have asked a few sellers if they do. Most did not reply at all, and the ones that did, were asking: 'What's your problem?', so they don't understand the question as asked anyway.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 04:25am 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogs. I'm most impressed with the turnaround.
Cheers, Andrew

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:49am 07 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1 Andrew_GEdited by CaptainBoing 2018-05-08

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 06:29am 10 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs,
Re the suggestion on the other thread of hooking up a MM to help the testing can you let me know of anything I need to do/not do before I assemble the kit you have just sent me - thanks (I can't think of anything given you have done all the SMD work already).
From my (limited) thinking it could be as easy as disconnecting your USB power supply and using the 5 pin female header to connect to a MM running some sort of clever test routine?

(The next version might have a three pin jumper (or even a different On/OFF/On switch) to select power from your USB OR the 5-pin header??)

Cheers, AEdited by Andrew_G 2018-05-11

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:47am 10 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nothing springs to mind. Instructions are included with the kit.

As designed, the board assumes you will connect to the VCP with something like TeraTerm or GFXterm, and just press a key. As soon as you do that, the HC12 will transmit the received keystrokes. That's how I have been doing it.

If I did a new version of that board, I cold include a MM2 and a button to send data to the HC12 to make is self-contained as mentioned. I am not sure if it is worth that effort though, as with a USB connection, you can do the same thing. Perhaps REMOVE the USB connection for a new version of the PCB, and replace with a MM2 chip.

EDIT: The main reason for having the USB serial connection, is so that you can program an HC12 module as well as being able to test it. Programming can be done via the MM2, but you need a serial connection to the console for that anyway, so.....Edited by Grogster 2018-05-11

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 10:57am 10 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogs. I guess I should start looking for a brick to hold down the modules. Cheers, Andrew

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:55pm 10 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This weekend, I am going to try Mick's(bigmik) idea of using two of those strong magnets from an old hard-drive. I am reasonably confident that this method will work, and it is simple. Will keep the thread posted.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 01:26am 14 May 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs, your Tester Kit arrived this morning (I guess sitting around in an Aus Post bag for the weekend). Not bad - less than a week from order to receipt.
I looks really well set out and your SMD soldering is great. Your instructions are clear and I should be up and running as soon as I have cleared some domestic duties.
Cheers, Andrew

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024