Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:02 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Document Register & MMBasic Code Library

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:03am 01 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Document Register

Is There a formal way of getting to the Document Register? I am only aware of it because I have seen others report that they have posted something there. I can get to it by searching for 'Document Register' and following the link but that's the only way I know. Am I missing something?

The MMBasic Library

Is there a description somewhere showing how to add pages to the library. I gather that you need to create a new account and go from there but without some explanation of what to do, I am a bit unwilling to try unless I stuff up. Maybe that is all explained when you log in and start to create a page?

Perhaps a page in the library (or the forum) explaining how to add a page, insert a file, insert an illustration and in what format (jpg png...) could help?

I have found many gems while browsing the forum and I feel that most, if not all of them should be in the library. Probably a lot of that in the Document Register also. I have bookmarked the pages that I am interested in Windows so they are easy to find because it can be a bugger to find them again later.

I feel that there should be some way to encourage forum members to add their code to the library. A prompt? Perhaps there are others like me that need their hand held for the first attempt? Maybe someone with the time and inclination could volunteer to do it for them? The library is a great resource and it is a pity to see it underutilised.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 06:44am 01 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Morning Bill.

You are correct that much of the forum content should be added to the library as individual articles.. I and a few other do this at http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/ but as with most things; keeping up the impetus is the hardest. When I set up the Wiki library about 3 years ago, I was warned that there have been many attempts to do so in the past but they all fall into dis-use. I use it as a repository of my own stuff if nothing else. I Add much of my own work and useful functions to the library and although stuff gets posted here often, I have added new articles for others in the past and never had a refusal yet. You'll recognise a few names between here & there.

FotS is Wiki Based and the editor will handle all the tedious markup for most of what you need to create pages. Once you have an account (only needed to add/modify content) you select the correct namespace from the drop-down top right and then click "Create a New Page" - it is pretty self explanatory and if you can post here you can create Wikis. The search is great and dedicated to the wiki, TBS uses Google as it's search which I find hit 'n' miss, purely because Google approaches the search from the individual web-pages not articles... I know the stuff is there - I remember reading it but buggered if I can find it again.

One thing that trips new users that is common to most wikis, is you have to upload any graphics first. This is done via the file manager - again selecting the correct namespace keeps things tidy.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:18am 02 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Captain,

I'll have a go in a day or two. Is there a maximum graphic file size and a preferred file format to use? I see that you have used png files of almost 1meg.

Is it acceptable to include a link to other people's work in TBS to show related information?

Bill

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:34pm 02 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said   Thanks Captain,

I'll have a go in a day or two. Is there a maximum graphic file size and a preferred file format to use? I see that you have used png files of almost 1meg.

Is it acceptable to include a link to other people's work in TBS to show related information?

Bill

I eagerly await your CRC routine there are so many flavours and ideas, it will be good to have a reference method that already matches a usable protocol (modbus).

There is no strict template for Wiki articles, everyone has their own preferences - so long as it is readable and covers the bases. Others will chip in with edits where really necessary. I learned a "style" from emulating what others had done. Go through a few and see what works for you. I copied an article, stripped out the content but left the headers etc and that serves as my template.

No practical size limit on images but I try to keep images to < 2MB just for loading speeds etc. Save them as is most suitable for the article + size. Personally I prefer PNG for photos/grabs as it is loss-less but I also used JPG and GIFs so no restrictions really just use what you want.

As regards linking, I strongly encourage a link for references and I have "wiki-ised" a few things from TBS with the original posters permission and I always use the original thread as a reference. If the work isn't yours but published elsewhere under a compatible licence, you can create a wiki on FotS with no legal issues but it's nice to link back to the original article and ask permission where possible. I have posted a lot of my own original work but the inspiration gets a nod (if there was one).

The whole wiki is run on an honour/good-humour basis.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:40pm 02 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  but as with most things; keeping up the impetus is the hardest.

Well, quite. I keep meaning to sign up there and add any code bits I have found useful that I have come up with for things. But finding the time to do it, is the biggest hurdle. FotS is a great resource.

Does the original MMBASIC library still exist? The fella managing that might have given up on that too due to lack of use. The forums themselves are my default code library. I search for things I want to do here, and threads often exist about the subject along with code snippets and examples.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 02 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  

Does the original MMBASIC library still exist? The fella managing that might have given up on that too due to lack of use. The forums themselves are my default code library. I search for things I want to do here, and threads often exist about the subject along with code snippets and examples.

... it does, as part of FotS.

Hugh (the original keeper of the ZIP file) and Geof gave permission for this to be wiki-ised as the first part of FotS when it went live... it has it's own category to help find it...
http://www.fruitoftheshed.com/MMBasic.AllPages.aspx?Cat=MMBasic._LIB%20Original%20MMBasic

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:53pm 02 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh right.

Does Hugh still maintain that part, or is is now left to members of FotS?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 12:54am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ CaptainBoing, Thanks again.

@ Grogster, Hugh doesn't maintain it any more. The last update was on 3-July-2015! It is still available from Geoff's Maximite page and via the Micromite MMBasic Library(s) link on this forum.

Bill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:19am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Building and maintaining stuff like the document register can be very disheartening. That document register was never really finished, and therefore never linked to. Finding people to test and suggest is the biggest hurdle. When I set up that register I added a few members who could add documents to it, and asked for other members to be nominated to take on part of the admin work load. Never happened.

Not to whine, but you would think if the web site owner posted a message like this, you would get a least one person offer to help. https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10950&PN=1

Glenn ( the guys who owns and pays for this web site and keeps the hackers at bay and makes less than $4 a day from it. )
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 02:05am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,

Yes, it would be disheartening. I think many people (like me) don't feel they have much to contribute or lack the confidence to do so (again like me). After a few posts it does become easier though.

The Document Register does have some good stuff in it and it's a pity to have it almost invisible. Maybe a link in the Micromite MMBasic Library(s) section would help?

Bill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:44am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said   Maybe a link in the Micromite MMBasic Library(s) section would help?

Done.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:03am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Gizmo, Thanks Glenn. When you say 'Done' you mean 'Done'.

@ CaptainBoing, Perhaps if you could put put much of what you explained above in a page on the FotS library site I would be even happier. Like other things, it can be hard to find later.

Thanks again to you both.
Bill

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 03 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Turbo46

OK, here's my first cut... please feel to go over it and correct it as you see fit
http://fruitoftheshed.com/Creating-and-Editing-Pages-on-Fruit-of-the-Shed.ashx
Edited by CaptainBoing 2018-12-06

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:36am 09 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Captain,

That's quite comprehensive thanks. I am a little confused by one thing though - you say:

Quote  Most Wikis require that you upload any pictures first - there is no way to start writing your article and simply paste a picture into it as you go. The file manager allows you to store pictures (actually any file) to use in your article later:

and later:

Quote  Hint: Often you are writing your article and you want to insert a picture. You don't need to break out of the editor if you use a trick of your browser. Holding down the control key, click on the "Main Page" link at the top of the page. That will open that link in a new window. From here you can get to the file manager and the editor will wait patiently in the other window. When you have done your upload as above, click back on the tab with the editor and you can now insert your file... and the editor never knew!

Does that you can insert a picture into the body of your text using that method? By using the 'Insert a Picture' button or the 'Insert a Link for a File' button?

Bill

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:22am 09 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is a "kludge" - you will end up with two browser sessions open in the tabs. This works for any web page, not just FotS - I use Firefox and Chrome... I am making an assumption there is similar functionality in other browsers.

You can't put a file up "in-line" in the editor (i.e. in the same browser tab) but by opening another session (browser tab), one can talk to the file manager and another to the editor, so it sort of provides the functionality by using the browser... but it still isn't in-line really because you have to step out of the editor to do it. You still need the picture/file to be on the server before you can insert it into the article (Inserting a link is not the same, you just provide a URL or a neighbouring wiki article)

It is a work around but it can get quite slick and I write most articles like this with two tabs open - No.1 with the editor, No.2 with the file manager.

Follow the instructions in the hint and play with it in your browser - you will see in an instant and much quicker than reading it... I bet you probably do this already.Edited by CaptainBoing 2018-12-10

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 07:30pm 09 Dec 2018
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  
  Turbo46 said   Maybe a link in the Micromite MMBasic Library(s) section would help?

Done.

So that's what it is! Was wondering what it would look like.

I wish that there was some system for perhaps a tree-like display. (Not saying you should change it, just that there are several separate solutions none of which are ideal.)
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024