Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:10 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite MMBasic Ver 5.05.02 Beta

Page 4 of 4    
PicFan

Posted: 05:27pm 10 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter !

The problem gets even bigger when a "settick" runs in the background. But I have not analyzed that yet.

Thank you !

Wolfgang

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:47pm 10 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Same errors occur in mmbasic DOS with 5.0501

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:11pm 10 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's been there a long while (excuse the pun)!

Also in Linux MMBasic Version 4.4.07e

John

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 11 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   Also in Linux MMBasic Version 4.4.07e

I didn't know the was a Linux MMBasic. Where can I get a copy?

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 11 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quazee137 said  I didn't know the was a Linux MMBasic. Where can I get a copy?

Pi-cromite: Pi-cromite V 5.05.01

Link on page 5 seems to be the latest.
Edited by lizby 2019-02-13
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

vincenthimpe

Posted: 06:53pm 11 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said   you make a good point Bill, an even higher level of explicitness may also be warranted:

OPTION EXTREMELY EXPLICIT

this would require all variable declarations be confined to a seperate section at the beginning of the program. and lower-case letters being prohibited.

cheers,
rob ;-)

May i suggest an

OPTION @#$%!

that would truly be explicit ( possible even not safe for work )Edited by vincenthimpe 2019-02-13

JohnL

Posted: 11:12pm 11 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  OPTION EXTREMELY EXPLICIT

All along I was under the impression that BASIC is meant to be a "simple" and "easy" language to program with.

How many more OPTIONS and EXPLICITs are needed before someone realizes that they have lost the plot.

C is very simple and not that hard after all.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:40am 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnL said  C is very simple and not that hard after all.

LOL

(C programmer since 8080 Small-C by Ron Cain from the May 1980 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal of Computer Calisthenics & Orthodontia, "Running light without overbyte")

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:58am 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay John, All,

JohnL said  
C is very simple and not that hard after all.

The problem is ... I am simpler.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

JohnL

Posted: 04:44am 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't want to start another flame war between basic and c.

But for absolute new beginner, MMbasic is not as simple any more as some fanatic fan boys pretend. Hence, context of my earlier post related to "OPTION EXTREMELY EXPLICIT".

Mick,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNTaQ5qjniE

This is one of the simplest video tutorials and there are dozens if not 100's more on the net related to C and Arduino. I have linked to lesson 5 that starts talking about variables and data types. Note, Arduino is no longer 8 bit Atmega 328 microcontroller. Just about any microcontroller from 8 to 64 bits (including PIC32)can be programmed in Arduino syntax C.

If this is not the simplest tutorial to learn C or for that matter any programming then you should take on some other hobby like fishing maybe.

I acknowledge that there is a place and use for MMbasic, I would not be here otherwise. But there is no excuse for fanatical Basic fanboys to thumb their nose at C or Arduino as being some sort of inferior monster, it only shows their ignorance and incompetence.

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 05:54am 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back in my adventurous youth I actually used to enjoy writing machine code on Hollerith cards enforcing reverse polish or post fix notation.

When I got a little older I found I preferred the enforced divisions in a COBOL programming environment.

When "C" came along it was a welcome upgrade from "B" which was really just a super assembler.

Then BASIC escaped from the Dartmouth mini-computer and appeared on the likes of the Altair and it seemed a lot easier.

Then the concept of differentiating between volatile memory resident variables and persistent disk resident variables which outlive the execution of the program which created them put a new twist on things when dBase appeared.

It's fun to create cults devoted to one of these historical developments, but it is counterproductive. Each methodology has its advantages and disadvantages in any given application. We have to use whichever method is appropriate to the task at hand.

But I still prefer post fix notation! I guess I really am Polish.

Pavel in NY.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:48pm 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnL said   no excuse for fanatical Basic fanboys to thumb their nose at C or Arduino as being some sort of inferior monster

Haven't seen any of that here regarding MMBasic. We pretty much have to admire C and C programmers because we admire what Geoff and Peter have done with C for us.

If you think MMBasic isn't easy (relative to its power), and relatively easy to understand, try going through the thousands of lines of C code which make it available to us.

And, yes, I do like to go fishing from time to time, speaking of thumbing one's nose.

panky

Guru

Posted: 09:17pm 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@JohnL,

Quote  fanatical Basic fanboys to thumb their nose at C or Arduino as being some sort of inferior monster

With respect, your comment above is both derogatory and wrong. I certainly, and I suspect most, if not all here are in awe of the power of C and the people who are proficient and prolific in it's use.

When someone states that they think that 'this' language is better than 'that' language, it is a personal opinion based on a range of factors, often past experience amoungst others. In my case, I 'prefer' to use MMBasic in my hobby projects for the simplicity that I find in its structure. I don't mind (or in fact care), that others may find other languages more to their own liking and I certainly have no intentions in trying to convert anyone else.

But I object most strongly to anyone else , like door to door salesmen and religous zealots, banging on my door (or inbox) trying to tell me that I am simple/feeble minded in using the tools (programming language) that I do.

As Paul says, each to his own.

Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnL said   Don't want to start another flame war between basic and c.

A noble sentiment. However, labeling people ignorant, incompetent fanatics because their preferences don't align with your own ... yeeeah, not the best way to go about it.
Edited by CaptainBoing 2019-02-14

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 11:34pm 12 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMbasic is perfect for people like me as it was very easy to pick up and start making things relatively quickly. I don't use arduino's for any other reason than I feel a bit intimidated by the code and I'm a bit older, so learning something new takes a while. I do look at a lot of arduino code just because it is plentiful on the web, and trying to work through it gives me ideas on how to approach projects using MMbasic. There is no real love or hate for any of it. I just happen to really like MMbasic at this point and it has been the base for many a project.

The work and effort done by Geoff and Matherp and the rest of the great TBS forum is outstanding and gracious to say the least. Thank you!!!!

goc30

Guru

Posted: 01:49am 13 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My mother langage is ASM (Intel & Motorola). I discovered other languages in the 80s (Basic, G, Pascal). I found that the two extremes (ASM and Basic) were enough for what I had to do (Basic for test and algos, and ASM for the final program).
My specialty was industrial computing.

After I discovered VB. This language seemed to me perfect for most of my development, and whenever I wanted to transpose in "C" (C, or C ++, or C #), it was always too complicated (especially with the tens libraries needed and sometimes not even powerful enough (especially C#), it was always too complicated (as with dozens of libraries required to write "Hello Word") and sometimes even not powerful enough (especially C#). With Arduino and Rpi I had to go to the "C", but without pleasure. Also the MMbasic project delighted me and I can not thank too much the developers who built this project.Edited by goc30 2019-02-14

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:30am 17 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicFan said  I have a small problem with the version V5.0502 and MKII...

Thank you VERY much Wolfgang. I have tracked down the bug (actually two bugs) and the fix will be in the next beta release.

It was an amazingly tricky problem associated with calling a function from inside the DO WHILE's conditional test. Your demo code illustrated up the problem perfectly and made it so much easier to track down - so thanks very much.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

PicFan

Posted: 09:03am 17 Feb 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Geoff!

Thanks to all who made the great project Micromite possible. Micromite is the best since the invention of PIC, s.

Greetings from Tyrol !

Wolfgang

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024