Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:22 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : New game to CMM: Gauntlet port

Page 4 of 6    
MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:35am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cover your ears! This time I tried to speak with my (bad) english...

Here is the new Youtube Video about this Gauntlet port.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:36am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your English is just fine.

That really is an amazing demo.
Truly.

Perhaps you should invest your time more in one of the much more powerful units that now exist, such as one of matherp's creations.  They run much faster, have better graphics and sound etc.  I wonder what you could create if you started writing games on those platforms.

But for a CMM unit, this is really, really impressive coding and that you got all that going just using BASIC and no Cfunctions etc(cos they are not supported on the CMM) makes it even more amazing.

Well done.  Top marks.  A+.  Ten out of ten.        
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

ceptimus

Posted: 11:44am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks absolutely amazing.  Brilliant work.  

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:14pm 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, a really amazing demo. I cannot comprehend how you and Mauro and others do that.

Nick, where are you? I miss your insightful comments on games and games programming.

About Peter Mather's creations: Yes some are faster and have better graphics and sound but how many people have them or want to play games on them? Peter is truly a genius but keeping up with his creations is confusing. there is no web page or common place to keep up to date with them (the document register would be a good place). As far as I know there are no kits available for them - please correct me. I did buy the F4 board and matching display on a whim but don't know what to do with it now that I have it.

There are several ways to get a Maximite or a Maximite clone and there are many, many of them out there. It is well supported by Geoff on his website and within this forum. I and others are looking forward to MMBasic 5 for the Maximite. The ability to use CFunctions may spawn a new breed of games related CFuntions to improve the speed and functionality of games programming.

I'm pleased to see the recent resurgence of interest in the Maximite. I expect that Geoff is as well.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I´m currently make Gauntlet (and other games) in a Colour Maximite because I consider it a evolution of the "original plataform" (Maximite), and I want to reach more users to test and enjoy my games (like Turbo46 has said)

I respect other MMbasic plataform ports, and obviously I wish to put my hands on one, but I must focus on one plataform at moment (I barely have time to play in one).

I believe that Geoff one day will launch a sucessor of the CMM, and maybe in this moment I will think to update the plataform.

My hope, as I said before, it's see Geoff update the MMBasic of the CMM to support the cFuncions, but I know that's a hard job and Geoff will make it in your free time, what I no doubt it's short.

Meanwhile I must make my best and having fun with that, because the CMM gives me a great nostalgic feel and have much higher raw power than the computers from the 80's (doesn't have hardware sprites and good sound architecture, but the ZX 48k don't have it too but has a ton of good games). It's this way I see the CMM, like a dream computer from the past.

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:03am 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mauro,

Another one. :)

It's crashed there on me twice now. I suspect it's because "cef" is set to zero.

And I added a bit of code to allow me to select which level I wanted to start the game on. Makes it easier to debug.

Starting at line 16 (or wherever "room=1" resides) :

'room=1 JEW
a$=mm.cmdline$
room=val(a$)
if room=0 then room=1

I'm "pre-using" A$ since you will shortly be using it for more or less the same thing in the program. The program writes over what mm.cmdline$ loads into it so no harm done.

I've made other changes, mostly for cosmetic reasons (program readability mostly). Do you want me to upload it? Any change that I've made, I try to remember to put my initials on the old line. So to find my changes, search for "JEW" in the file.

BrianP

Posted: 04:04am 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I too have a soft spot for the CMM...
B

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 07:15am 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName, of course you can upload it! Any ideas, optimizations and shared work are welcome.

I understand what you are doing to study the code, and it's a good way to do it, but I'm "compressing" some source blocks to retains some RAM and gain a little speed. I can't worry about indentation and readability now, it will be the last thing that I will see when the game is finished.

I fixed some errors today, and one of these bizzare bugs are exactly "blocks and splashes" flying around the scene, and some crashes including what you posted about near the exit on level 6. Now I'm trying to fix the demons, because it's very easy to slowdown a lot when some demons are firing in the screen (and the fire have some great bugs to be fixed!).

Now I'm worried about optimize and fix the code and only after that I will continue to make new maps and tiles. Soon I upload a new version with options menu to choose the sound output, controller, music test etc.

Hey, if I post the graphic tiles of each room, do you will like to port some maps? To me it's the hardest job because consumes a lot of time and needs a deep patience... (which I don't have either).

Gauntlet NES Maps 01-60.zip
Edited 2019-08-18 17:20 by MauroXavier

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:09pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Which is why I hadn't worried about posting. It's all going to change. :) Mostly I did it to help me track down bugs, and to understand what you are doing.

As for the maps, sure. Post them and what you want done with them and I will work on them.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I glad that you understand that the source code will be change severely until reach a mature version, but you can post what you want or publish pieces of code here if you want to question anything about it.

How port a game like Gauntlet to the CMM can be a mix between crazyness and patience, no doubt that I accept any type of help, and besides that, this way I believe that the CMM will receive many games from the community.

Please, I don't want to criticise anyone, but I think if a group like that had been formed in the past, composed of enthusiasts passionate with this retro platform, today would we have a great games library to the CMM, built by people with different skills, some creating the main program block, some learning to program studying the sources, other helping with pixel art, music etc, and others testing and giving more ideas to the game and to the Geoff to change somethings in MMBasic to make it more pleasing to develop games.

Better late than never! Let's start this idea.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 05:09pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is the fixed line:

If tt Mod 2=1 And cef<=sprmax Then Sprite paste cef,xt,yt

The bug was caused because in some circunstances the player can shoot in enemies near other one died one frame before and this can catches a false number upper than the maximum loaded sprites limit.

Decoy

Posted: 05:46pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  

Please, I don't want to criticise anyone, but I think if a group like that had been formed in the past, composed of enthusiasts passionate with this retro platform, today would we have a great games library to the CMM, built by people with different skills, some creating the main program block, some learning to program studying the sources, other helping with pixel art, music etc, and others testing and giving more ideas to the game and to the Geoff to change somethings in MMBasic to make it more pleasing to develop games.

Better late than never! Let's start this idea.

I agree. I am new to MaxiMite, which I was a little hesitant to get into - due to the age of the platform and MMBasic. It didn't seem to had taken off at all, and seeing 2011 on the splash screen doesn't sit well with me. I usually work with Arduino, så MaxiMite seemed very obscure and niche. But hey, I had LaserDisc back in the day  

However, I am very impressed with MMBasic and the MaxiMite, I just bought a 5:4 monitor yesterday, just for this. My daughter thinks it great fun doing circles and pixels, and when my mother was visiting she instantly took a liking to it - and got interested in coding it.

The one thing we need, is to decide when the hardware should be locked down. I see posts regarding building more powerful versions of the MaxiMite, so then the race towards present day has started.

Personally, I think we should stay at 7 colours, and keep the resolution below 640x480, of course at 60fps. Maybe hardware sprites, but certainly enhanced sprite options in MMBasic. Otherwise, I think a lockdown at a agreed level(?) is the best option.

Thanks!

ceptimus

Posted: 07:03pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think as long as it runs on the original Maximite hardware, there's no point in locking yourself to a certain release of the firmware.  Right now we're on V4.5C, but if and when Geoff releases a firmware update, why shouldn't we take advantage of it?  

Anyone with a USB cable and a PC can update their Maximite to the latest version and most will probably do that anyway, whether or not they want to play games on it.  Geoff nearly always makes the new releases backward compatible, so any games written for an earlier version should still continue to run.

I guess we should all start to put some code like this at the start of our games.

required=4.0503
If MM.Ver < required Then
 Mode 1:Colour 7,0:Cls
 Print "This game requires MMBasic V4.5C or newer."
 Print "Please update your Maximite."
 Print:Copyright
 End
EndIf

If someone tries to run your game on an older version of MMBasic, that code will tell them, display their current version, plus information on how to update.
Edited 2019-08-19 05:15 by ceptimus

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Decoy said  I agree. I am new to MaxiMite, which I was a little hesitant to get into - due to the age of the platform and MMBasic. It didn't seem to had taken off at all, and seeing 2011 on the splash screen doesn't sit well with me. I usually work with Arduino, så MaxiMite seemed very obscure and niche. But hey, I had LaserDisc back in the day  

However, I am very impressed with MMBasic and the MaxiMite, I just bought a 5:4 monitor yesterday, just for this. My daughter thinks it great fun doing circles and pixels, and when my mother was visiting she instantly took a liking to it - and got interested in coding it.

The one thing we need, is to decide when the hardware should be locked down. I see posts regarding building more powerful versions of the MaxiMite, so then the race towards present day has started.

Personally, I think we should stay at 7 colours, and keep the resolution below 640x480, of course at 60fps. Maybe hardware sprites, but certainly enhanced sprite options in MMBasic. Otherwise, I think a lockdown at a agreed level(?) is the best option.

Thanks!

I think that the release date of the Colour Maximite doesn't matter, after all, classic computers that I like it's all from the past, including C64, MSX, ZX Spectrum, CPC, etc, and if we see in this manner, CMM shares some style that I think must be preserved to conserve the "nostalgic retro feeling".

For example, I don't intend to make a game in 640x480, I do prefer that the system offers a low-resolution mode because not only are faster, as well it's easier to make pixel art.

A true must be said: While there are users, the platform will never die.
Edited 2019-08-19 21:12 by MauroXavier

Cyber

Posted: 12:01pm 24 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Finally I got myself enough free time to play Gauntlet on MM.
I never played Gauntlet before, so I played it today for the first time. So I couldn't compare the game to other ports, rather had first time game expirience.
And I was totally impressed and had a great time! Thank you, Mauro!

Then I searched the web for videos of gameplays on other platforms, and tried to compare. I was surprised of how many different ports there exists, even very modern ones.
And after all I like MM port pretty much!
The only thing I l'd wished for is smooth screen scrolling, which was mentioned by Mauro as optimization chalange.

For some reason I couldn't make my character move diagonally, no matter what keys I pressed. Is it me or my keyboard... What should be pressed?

And I was a little mystified by 6 stats of characters. I googled for different game manuals, and I could find only 4 stats (speed, armor, close combat, range combat). But what other 2 stand for?

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 04:12pm 24 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"For some reason I couldn't make my character move diagonally, no matter what keys I pressed. Is it me or my keyboard... What should be pressed?"

Set your NumLock key to on, and then it's 1,3,7, and 9.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 06:45pm 24 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the last alpha version:
GAUNTLET_ALPHA_004.zip
Obviously, it's an alpha test and has a lot of bugs to be fixed and manner others feature to be implemented. The main change is the speed gain and little smoother scrolling.

Cyber, the six different status are, in the order of the selection screen:

- Magic power
- Shoot power
- Fight power (Close combat)
- Shooting speed
- Armour power
- Speed

These status are inspired by the Gauntlet IV from Mega Drive but I added some changes to put a "little of my personal choices" on what I believe that each character must be in the start.

SimpleSafeName is helping me in the tests and some tricks to optimize the code, and must thanks him a lot by your support.

I hope all of you enjoy this another release and don't forget to give me your opinions about.

Cyber

Posted: 07:38pm 24 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for stats explanation.
Something is understood by instinct, but something is not...

- Magic power - how do I use it?
- Shoot power - amount of damage of ranged attack.
- Fight power (Close combat) - how do I use it?
- Shooting speed - speed of shooted "arrow".
- Armour power - reduces amount of health dropped down if I touch enemy or enemy ranged attack?
- Speed - speed of character.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 09:08pm 24 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I intend to make an intro screen that none version of Gauntlet has, with some history and explaining the characteristics of each player.

About the current status:

- Magic power - Not implemented yet.
- Shoot power - Amount of damage of the ranged attack (correct).
- Fight power (Close combat) - It will be automatic but the current implementation is bad. When you run through to the enemies is your fight power that defines how much damage you will cause.
- Shooting speed - Speed of shooted "arrow" (correct).
- Armour power - Reduces the amount of health dropped down if I touch an enemy or receive a ranged attack (correct).
- Speed - Speed of character (correct).

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 03:41am 25 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mauro,

Much has changed... :)

Why is sprmax=106+32? There are only 106 sprites. Seems excessive... :)

Never mind, I know now. LOL!

It looks like:

If tt Mod 2=1 And cef+32<=sprmax Then Sprite paste cef,xt,yt

might have fixed it.

Edited 2019-08-25 14:08 by SimpleSafeName

Page 4 of 6    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024