Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:42 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Site News : Forum upgrade

Page 5 of 15    
Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 10 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Congrats on a great new forum.
Already things are becoming so much easier over the old forum.
This must have been a great effort but from our perspective it is almost magic.
Thanks a lot Glenn, much, much appreciated.
Geoff
Edited 2019-08-10 23:44 by Geoffg
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:24am 12 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Geoff. Lot of work yet to do, lots of bugs to sort, but I've got the basics done and its a working forum, mostly.

Just playing around with some Google ad placements. They only earn about $100 a month but every little bit helps and they've been gone for over a month now. The plan is members will see less ads than guests.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mackoffgrid

Guru

Posted: 01:38am 12 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm surprised you get that much for the Ads, not that $100 goes a long way.

Gizmo said   The plan is members will see less ads than guests.Glenn

BTW I appreciate this.

Regards
Andrew

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 02:27am 12 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

I just altered a heading to a reply to a PM & hit <Enter> (accidentally) & the system sent the reply before I actually wrote the response.

Is that normal?

Re Ads. OK with me as long as I can make them go away if they annoy me.
I have had to use an Ad-blocker on occasions on some of the pages to remove ones that have no exit button.

Keep up the good work...

Brian
ChopperP

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:42pm 13 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mackoffgrid said  I'm surprised you get that much for the Ads, not that $100 goes a long way.  

There's actually a fair bit of traffic on the site, typically 100 to 300 visitors at one time. 7 years ago the site was earning over $1000 a month, with less traffic, and then Google changed something and it all went down hill from there.

Yes, $100 pays for the server hosting fees ( about $70 a month ) plus a little hobby money.

Fixed a bug where white space wasn't displayed correctly.
Should             now            be              ok              
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

poida

Guru

Posted: 08:40am 15 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo,
should you ever place a "donate" button on the site, I will hit it for sure.
It would be nice if I donate xx and it's good for a year of no ads or donate button
when I log in. I'm thinking $50 a year donation or so.

Another thing, how many personal messages can I have. There is a limit for sure
so I want ask what it is? This info was not obvious to me when I was last in the PM area.

Great work on the site, clearly things are robust now. I'll bet you can backup the db
in a flash.
wronger than a phone book full of wrong phone numbers

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:11pm 16 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

poida said  Great work on the site, clearly things are robust now.

Amen to that.

poida said  Gizmo,
should you ever place a "donate" button on the site, I will hit it for sure.

And to that.

The only (very minor) glitch that I see at this point is that when you click to view the last post in a thread, when you click [back] you go to the first post of the thread (on that page), not to the all-threads page from which you came.

Thanks for all your fine work.

[Now I notice that this happens with firefox, but not with opera, so perhaps it is something specific to my setup.]
Edited 2019-08-16 23:23 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:01pm 16 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Really nice work and progress!

May I make a wish?

A simple "Back to Top" anchor-link at each pages bottom would be great for a fluent process!

Andre ... such a GURU?

BrianP

Posted: 12:51am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Gizmo,
[Now I notice that this happens with firefox, but not with opera, so perhaps it is something specific to my setup.]

Same Firefox issue for me...

B
Edited 2019-08-17 10:54 by BrianP

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:49am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Seams the forum cant send emails to anyone with a bigpond email address.
JAQ

BrianP

Posted: 03:53am 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Seams the forum cant send emails to anyone with a bigpond email address.

Our friendly Telstra keeps moving goal posts around - you might need to visit the Telstra/bigpond home page & catch up with the latest...
B

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:33pm 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah Brian I suspect Bigpond thinks the forum is sending spam. Its a problem if you want to have email notifications, you risk the site blacklisted as a spammer.

Made a change to the way the forum handles email notifications. Instead of sending all the emails in one big chunk when the member saves a post, the email messages now get inserted into a database, then sent off one or two at a time until they are all processed.

Glenn
JAQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:37pm 17 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Project for today - Active Topics and a few stray members who cant log in.
JAQ

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 01:07am 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Yeah Brian I suspect Bigpond thinks the forum is sending spam. Its a problem if you want to have email notifications, you risk the site blacklisted as a spammer.

Made a change to the way the forum handles email notifications. Instead of sending all the emails in one big chunk when the member saves a post, the email messages now get inserted into a database, then sent off one or two at a time until they are all processed.

Glenn

Telstra had quite the reputation for the number of spammers it hosted a while back (hence their current paranoid stance about anything looking like spam heading in or out of their system)
Which was weird as you needed a Telstra account to have a Telstra email....

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:32pm 18 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Project for today - Active Topics ...

One more I would like. I miss (unless I've been blind) "user profile". I find it particularly helpful for locating matherp's many contributions.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 07:37am 20 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am get this error when saving a reply.

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1366 Incorrect string value: '\xE2\x94\xAC\xE2\x96\x91...' for column 'Message' at row 1 in \TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php:60 Stack trace: #0 \TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php(60): PDO->exec('Insert into thr...') #1 {main} thrown in \TheBackShed\forum\PostMessage.php on line 60

This text causing it is here I think

{"results":1,"data":[{"state":{"code":"FL","name":"Florida"},"country":{"code":"US","name":"United States"},"location":{"coordinates":[-82.686493,27.908688],"type":"Point"},"timezone":{"gmt":-5,"dst":-4,"tzid":"America/New_York"},"elevation":{"feet":10.5,"meters":3.2,"method":"Surveyed"},"magnetic_variation":{"position":"05W","year":2010},"icao":"KPIE","iata":"PIE","name":"St Pete-Clearwater International","type":"Airport","city":"Clearwater","status":"Operational","useage":"Public","sectional":"MIAMI","activated":"10/1942","latitude":{"decimal":27.908688,"degrees":"27-¦ 54' 31.28\" N"},"longitude":{"decimal":-82.686493,"degrees":"82-¦ 41' 11.37\" W"}}]}

This actually saves Ok now after I have pasted into and editor and saved as a text file.

It was copied to clipboard from windows command line when it failed. I will PM you the curl command that produced to data.

The post reply count goes up but post is not saved.

Regards
Gerry
Edited 2019-08-21 10:28 by Gizmo
Latest F4 Latest H7

BrianP

Posted: 12:19am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

F.Y.I.

Just tried to preview a reply to a post & received this...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 70517480 bytes) in \TheBackShed\forum\includes\common.php on line 341

No drama - the reply was saved & posted OK. This post previewed Ok also.

B
Edited 2019-08-21 10:27 by Gizmo

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:32am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll look into these. Gerry the forum uses a few commands to convert special characters ( not letters or numbers ) to html and sql friendly code. I think that chunk of data you posted pushed it a bit to far.

Brian I'm guessing it was a BIG post? Can you point me to the post you tried to quote?

Glenn
JAQ

BrianP

Posted: 12:52am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn
Not all that big...
In the thread "Current measurement of solar panels" the post I was replying to was Davo99 posted @ 10:06pm 20/8. My reply in which the preview crashed was as you see following Davo99's post. I had selected Quote & edited out the bulk of it.

B

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:09am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Deleted - I should have read a few more previous posts!

Jim
Edited 2019-08-21 12:11 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Page 5 of 15    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024