Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:49 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : BASIC

Page 2 of 3    
Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:39pm 19 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree!

But this is exclusive to mobiles and I guess that in later times programming and electronics will just be speaking out orders and some A.I. will do the rest.
OK, this will still take some time, but if we take a look at the changes during the last 5 to 10 years then of course You are right with Your claim for mobile standard.
And of course a good consideration for further steps.

I generally think it should all be slowed down and turned a little backwards, not too much but enough to show the path of development. So, not just seeing that it works, not rather than understanding how it works.

The people I think of would be interested if they did not feel to be forced to shut down their brains being overcharged by all that rapid development.

Those who might say: "Wow, very exciting and interesting but just a black box to me!", getting it not as easy as the two of us do.

I am also including some sociological aspects as well, not exclusively technological ones.

Andre ... such a GURU?

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 19 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A version for everything !
my site

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 19 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Someone please tell me:

Everyone carries a hugely powerful HMI in their pocket.

Why would you want a proprietary touchscreen/display? It's totally ludicrous today.

Mobile devices can do anything. Period. Think about it.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:33am 20 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  Mobile devices can do anything. Period. Think about it.

assuming you are talking about a cellphone, they can do a great many things poorly.

a cellphone makes for a poor ebook reader as the screen is too small; they make for a poor in-car gps/navigation system due to battery consumption and a UI that is far from optimal for use while driving; they are completely useless for taking notes and are barely usable for writing anything but the most basic emails; their audio reproduction is abysmal wrt music unless you want to use headphones; the touch-screen interface makes use as a calculator tedious for anything but a few simple calculations; their constructions is fragile - they break easily if dropped or bent, are easily damaged by water or moisture, are often hidesously expensive to replace.

and to top top it off, since they have the ergonomics of a plank of wood, they have poor usability as a telephone!

essentially, these mobile devices can perform an enormous number of different tasks poorly.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 01:06am 20 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rob, with total respect to yourself, this is the ignorance that I attempt to address.

Let's say that you are the owner of a manufacturing company. You have a piece of process equipment that, if it dies, you have a bunch of hourly employees stood around because they have no parts to further process.

Industry is full of dead machinery due to a failed user-interface...beit a display, touch-screen, keypad, etc.

User interfaces are subject to abuse.

So what are you gonna do?

In my case, I grab a tablet or a phone, download the app, pair the Bluetooth and resume making parts.

I visited John Deere, recently and they had a mega buck piece of equipment that was less than a year old. It looked like hell because it had a PC keyboard and monitor hanging out of the front of the control...They were waiting for the $17,000 replacement Siemens screen to arrive.

So if your own income was based on parts produced by a piece of process machinery, you would prefer to wait for a replacement, proprietary user interface? I'm guessing no.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 09:17am 20 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Guys, you are spoiling the thread, just open a new one for mobiles.

Coming back to topic:

Mobiles art just one direction and RFO BASIC appears to be a quite good beginning concerning this particular issue.

I am still searching for something desktop-style!

Andre ... such a GURU?

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:59pm 20 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Poppy said  At least I cannot find any pixel-plotting just for drawing some lines and graphs or other corresponding graphic commands ...or am I getting this completely wrong within the manual?

Absent as far as I know, and I agree, I'd like to be able to paint a screen with text and graphics. You can output [...] VT100 code to a terminal with serial out--and also feed it back into the PC with a second serial port and a VT100 terminal emulator like puTTY or Teraterm (but that's clunky and a more straightforward way of doing it would be nice (but Geoff already has a lot on his plate)).

what you are after is perhaps a bit like this?

the above (as can be seen) is mixed text and graphics displayed by GFXterm in what at first glance appears to be a console window, with the basic code running on an MX170 (MM2) attached via a serial port. however, GFXterm originated as a wrapper for MMbasic for DOS that took a turn in a different direction during development; in principal it could be adapted back to work as a wrapper for MMbasic for DOS, although this would require the two programs to work cooperatively via an API.

GFXterm implements the following graphic primatives: clear, ink, line, plot, arc, fill, moveto, drawto, scroll. graphics are drawn on a 'glass panel' that sits above the text and operates completely independently. while it looks like a console window, it is something far more convoluted and repugnant.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:34am 21 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very interesting, I didn´t know before and will test for myself.
Thanks for showing!

Something different, but BASIC:

Just found this a-maze-ing book:
"10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1)); : GOTO 10"
http://nickm.com/trope_tank/10_PRINT_121114.pdf

Damn, these guys have a long breath hyping a single line!

Edited 2019-08-21 18:36 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 07:27am 22 Aug 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

I have been looking around and checking up all being obvious to me and still:

IF MMBASIC-DOS was ... it would be best ... but unfortunately it isn´t (yet)!

So far I think for getting into modern BASIC FreeBASIC is my best choice to recommend, starting up classically PC-BASIC is.

The phenomenon around BASIC itself somehow is that it always depends on the individual project but actually it is all the same with any other programming language, e.g. MMBASIC for PIC32 rather than C, but C for Arduino´s.

The language always is generally determined by the task and how to get it done the best way.

"BASIC" just does not follow any strict standard (probably excepting some cores) but therefore it provides individual opportunities within its different "dialects"!

https://freebasic.net/
http://robhagemans.github.io/pcbasic/

Please still feel free to give me more constructive input but as yet thanks for all the great support!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 04:11am 07 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just found some new (to me) BASIC:

http://www.logicbasic.net/

Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 13 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Readings about "original" BASIC Programming:

1st. Ed.:
https://archive.org/details/basicprogramming00keme

3rd. Ed.:
https://archive.org/details/basicprogramming0000keme

Just register for free and "borrow" ...

Andre ... such a GURU?

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:32pm 13 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.robotbasic.org/
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:47am 15 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  http://www.robotbasic.org/

Thanks!

Though being commercial this appears to be a quite interesting issue reminding me of some Robot/Turtle-Thing (called "Niki") I used to know for beginning Turbo Pascal some decades ago.

Andre ... such a GURU?

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 18 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Released a new update of http://rittle.org
Now, with the line closing ' ; ' characters made just optional, programs look very much like Basic while still retaining the extended functionality of Rittle
Still lots of work left on the hardware side to include more drivers but the minimum set is already there
http://rittle.org

--------------

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 18 Sep 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  
Though being commercial this appears to be a quite interesting issue reminding me of some Robot/Turtle-Thing (called "Niki") I used to know for beginning Turbo Pascal some decades ago.

Although aimed at robot stuff, this basic can build Win apps. I've used it for quite a few things, including a lot of test programs.
Edited 2019-09-19 00:41 by CircuitGizmos
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:56am 20 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just For Fun!

"Play BASIC Computer Games in Your Browser"
http://www.researchscape.com/user/jhenning/play-basic-computer-games-in-your-browser
Andre ... such a GURU?

HankR

Posted: 08:28am 21 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think this is exactly what you're looking for.  Qbasic interpreter and several other old style basics and even Visual basic for DOS!

Qbasic

It's needs the VMware emulator and so far, even watching several youtubes purporting to explain the installation of MSDOS6.22, I haven't got the 6.22 file set on the webpage to "install" MSDOS on the virtual machine.  Often the videos mention obtaining an iso image file of 6.22 (which isn't on the above webpage), but I found one webpage that said installing an iso image is not necessary with VMware, but with no further instructions.

I'm hoping someone who is better versed in these installations, ideally with direct VMware experience, will be able to explain the process step-by-step.  It's the usual thing where one has to get the many-step sequence exactly right or no dice.

Hank

edit:redid hot link
Edited 2019-10-21 18:58 by HankR

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 10:23am 21 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your support.

But I actually know this way and it does not match my needs because of this emulation issue.

In this case the easier way would be:
https://www.portal.qb64.org/

But keep on!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Cyber

Posted: 06:35am 22 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  https://www.portal.qb64.org/

Wow! This look very nice! Didn't know such existed.
Did it solve all your needs?
Or were there some drawbacks?
Edited 2019-10-22 16:38 by Cyber

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:45am 22 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now getting older myself and therefore fading sight FreeBASIC is easier for having different GUIs and QB64 with its preset parameters is not that comfortable for me.

But for the needs I am looking for (being different from my own) a program for just turning on and starting typing something like QB64 would be easier.

The Environment of PCBASIC supporting QuickBASIC would be perfect just looking for a classical standard but with modern capabilities.
Andre ... such a GURU?

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024