Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:58 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : EV's : AEVA Sydney - Electric Vehicle Expo

Page 4 of 5    
Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:44am 28 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Left Taree at 7.14pm.
No charge data from a show ground 3 phase outlet.

Arrived at Macksville 10.05pm
EV Hilux used 22.4kW
T-Rev used 102.7Ah
Drove 166.4km

Time for a sleep while it charges. There will be no charge data on this one either as it is not controlled by chargefox. Free by the council of Macksville.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:35pm 28 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Left Macksville at 5.30am.

Arrived at Grafton showgrounds at 8.14am.
EV Hilux used 21kW
T-Rev used 96 Ah
Drove 140km
Charging at Grafton showgrounds for free.

Just in case it is not obvious. I am driving home with T-Rev and EV Hilux battery packs connected together permanently. I don't have the MGEV to save the power for, so I am boosting my range and stopping to charge far less often.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 08:54am 29 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Left Grafton at 10.05am.

Arrived at Byron Bay, Mercato shopping centre at 12.57pm
Drove 162km
EV Hilux used 24.1kw
T-Rev used 114Ah

It was 30 minutes to get the first cable connected using the tablet. I toyed with the phone for another 20 minutes or so but could not get the phone to connect. There is no internet service and the shopping centre wifi is very weak, in this underground carpark. We had the same trouble on the way south as well.

I really didnt want to disconnect the tablet connection. It was hard to get it. But the only way I could see was to set up both cable connections from the tablet. After a few attempts I got it. So there is 3 data pictures. Another issue we found last time was each box cannot run both port A and port B at the same time.

Cost $10 for parking. Double what we paid per vehicle on the way down. Just because it was over 2 hours in the carpark. Electricity is free.

Left Byron Bay at 3.15pm

On the way, stopped at Suzi Auto, (4.50pm  Qld time again now, crossed back over the border. NSW time is 5.50pm) for a few minutes to drop off some batteries.

Arrived at Hamilton Northshore at 5.50pm (peak traffic through Brisbane)
EV Hilux used 22.6kW
T-Rev used 109Ah
Drove 177km

Nice picture just before I plugged in. The sun was gone by the time I had both cables plugged in.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 29 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chargefox data for Hamilton Northshore

Left Hamilton Northshore at 7.40pm

Arrived at Cooroy at 9.45pm
Drove 130km
EV Hilux used 18.6kW
T-Rev used 75Ah

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:33pm 29 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the Chargefox data for Cooroy

It would have been good to sleep at Cooroy while charging, but I don't feel safe there. The police turned up just as I was finishing the packup. Just ckecking to see if I was ok.
Left Cooroy at 11.15pm

Arrived at Childers at 2.39am.
Drove 184.5km
EV Hilux used 25.1kW
T-Rev used 125Ah

Quickly got it plugged in and setup swag for a sleep while charging. photo taken thismorning, day 3 from Sydney.

Left Childers at 5.45am.

Arrived at Miriamvale at 8.19am
153.7km
EV Hilux used 22.7kW
T-Rev used 104Ah

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 05:05am 30 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the Chargefox data for Miriamvale.

Arrived at Rockhampton at 12.58pm
Drove 169.3kn
EV Hilux used 23.3kW
T-Rev used 112Ah

Rocky Type 2 Schneider charge station does not work. Chargefox support couldnt make them work either.

I managed to work out the big box (DC fast charge box) Type2 outlet. It is supposed to be 32A 3ph but only runs 2 single ph chargers. So it is a very slow charge. I will only put in enough to make the next 100km to Marlborough.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 06:36am 30 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Moved to Stocklands shopping centre to try out the Tesla destination outlet. It works. But can only use one of them. The second cable I have, has a longer plug and wont go in far enough to connect the pins.

Ok. Got enough to make the next 100km to Marlborough. I will fill it up at Marlborough.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 31 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Removed duplicate post
Edited 2019-11-01 08:44 by Gizmo
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:42am 31 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Removed duplicate post
Edited 2019-11-01 08:45 by Gizmo
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 12:45am 31 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I rolled up the cables directly after the previous post and got going out of Rocky, 4.43pm. Lost too much time in Rockhampton and still left without being full.

Arrived at Marlborough at 6.21pm.
EV Hilux total out was 25.4kW
T-Rev total out was 142Ah
So while I did 100km from Rockhampton to Marlborough, the power out does not correlate.

Chargefox data for Marlborough

Left Marlborough at 8.22pm.

Arrived at Carmilla at 10.49pm.
Drove 135.6km
EV Hilux used 20.2kW
T-Rev used 90Ah

I got it plugged in and set up swag for a sleep. Picture taken thismorning at 5am.

Chargefox data

Packed up and driving by 5.15am
Arrived home at 7.30am.

Total distance for the trip is
97095 - 92902 = 4193km

THE GENERATOR WAS NOT USED AT ALL, FOR THIS TRIP. It was taken, just in case we needed it. Fortunately, we managed to not need it.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 03:27pm 31 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Obviously Trev's really happy to be home LOL
Happy, happy, happy in fact..

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 10:35pm 31 Oct 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dunno "bout the doig " at least he's standing guard !.

Yes, great trip and running commentary from Trev and his mate,George.

Bruce
Bushboy

johnmc

Posted: 01:07am 01 Nov 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good day Trev,
Thank for the pics and the comments.
cheers john
johnmc

Boppa
Guru

Posted: 03:02pm 06 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cries...
I gotta go to Melbourne to pick up my new trailer..
Identical hilux to all intents and purposes...
The fuel alone is going to cost me  close to a grand... (on top of a 6g trailer cost..)

CRIES...

A grand in fuel alone...

anyone who says EV is 'pie in the sky'- well I'll be happy for you to pick up my trailer in Melbourne and bring it to me in Brisbane for exactly the same cost as Trev had for his trip...... (almost exactly the same distance in total)

Time isn't an issue- as long as it is in in Brisbane before May... pushbike might do it even...

DAVO99- looking at you- up for the challenge???

This is a serious challenge- I will pay you EXACTLY the same as Trevs 'fueling' costs to pick it up (it is a 2.4 x 6m trailer- 4.5t gross, 850kg tare)and deliver it to my house- (a corolla wont cut the mustard with a 6m trailer on it)- or alternatively- I will drive it- and you pay ALL the fuel costs above Trevs recharging costs in my hilux... no other costs- no accommodation, no food- just the fuel cost alone...

Willing to put your money where your mouth is???
(You might come out ahead- but I doubt it...)
We KNOW an EV hilux did it...

Edited 2019-12-07 01:24 by Boppa

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:55pm 06 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, Such a generous offer you make, I'll call you on it and lets see who folds.
I won't even go into the reason you bought a trailer 2000KM away and then cry about the fuel cost of picking it up or the whole tone of your post and challenge.

Your trip will need about 600L of Veg oil in my truck. Not a problem, just ran a batch and have about 1200L atm.  I'll rent you the vehicle at the standard rate as declared by the tax dept of 67C/ KM. That's what you would get reimbursed for using your private Vehicle for work and do it the same as if you were renting.  You pay the hire  cost but, I'll include the fuel.

Surprisingly, there is more to vehicle ownership than just fuel cost and I am not going to provide free Rego, Insurance, wear and tear on things like tyres and brakes to anyone for nothing. You can pick the Patrol up in Sydney with sufficient fuel for the return trip included.  Trip in an IC would take 4 Days but we'll call it 5 so you can't argue.  I'll give you the vehicle for 2 weeks as you'll have to do the trip like you would an EV.

Fuel will cost me exactly the same as what trev paid for his fuel costs but you wouldn't have to hang around for hours every 100 KM waiting for the thing to charge. Given the nature and attitude of your challenge, I think that should be a requirement of your journey given you want to base it on doing the trip as if in an EV.   Let say 90 min every every 100 KM excepting over night stops, which would seem appropriate for a trailer of that weight being towed by Trevs EV.

Good job you dismiss this point I have made of on the road recharging as trivial, I'd go nuts hanging round waiting every 100 KM but as you seem to want the EV experience....
Did I not see Trev didn't go over 80 Kmh as well?  Better make that a limit too  as a trailer of that weight and air resistance would knock the range on an EV to all hell if it could go faster so we want to keep it fair don't we?

Of Course if we worked on what the vehicle would do as it is, then it's non stop at the legal limit but as you want to pay for fuel on an electric basis, only fair we base everything else on EV standards isn't it?

Alternatively, Why don't you get Trev to pick the thing up or borrow his truck and drive it yourself so you don't have to pay the grand in fuel costs?

Heres a 3rd Option,  I'll go get the thing and bring it to you at the standard tax reimbursement of 67C Km.  You'll have it in 3 days.

Now, are YOU willing to put your money where your beliefs are and do the trip the same or are you going to make some other dismissive BS excuses?
If you want to pay EV fuel costs then you will have to do it on the same basis with everything else. Alternately, we'll do it on the standard private vehicle useage rates as decreed by the Gubbermint.

Truck is here and ready to go. Even has a tracker on it so we can monitor speed, position and stops.
When you want it?

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:21am 07 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good News Bop!
You can hire a tesla in Brisbane so you CAN do it in an EV and not have to worry about fuel costs!

https://www.teslataxi.com.au/booking-form-calendar

Now YOU can really put your claims into real world practice and save all that money on buying that terrible devils fuel. With an EV, and a nice long range tesla at that,  won't have to cost you anything either.
What a deal!

No need to thank me, happy to help out.  Just do as Trev did and post up pics along the way and tell us where you stop, how long for and show us the pics of the free charging.
I'm always happy to be proven wrong and here is your perfect opportunity to win a debate without question.

I'm sure I can learn a lot from your trip and you will be able to convince other sceptics along the way as well.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:48am 07 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Found another place for you to get a Tesla!

Not going to be any problem doing this on Free fuel now is there?  Plenty of Teslas  to choose from and they have the towing capacity you need which is great news.

To show I'm not a sore looser, By all means when Coming through Sydney, Drop in for a feed and you can charge off my 40 A 3 Phase till the thing is fully topped up and ready to go. Shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours.
Happy to help out both ways and I'm only 10 min off the highway you'll be on so not much of a detour either.

Let me know when you'll be here and I'll get the Mrs to put on a roast or we can have a Barbie, whatever you prefer. Will you be bringing the MRs or just yourself?

Used to have a lot of people drop in for veg top ups back in the old days. There were a couple of guys that went from Bris to Melb or Adelaide to see family and being in the middle of the Melbourne leg it was real handy for them.

I can throw 800L in the truck no problems at all  but the usual Sydney to Goldie or Bris run I only need a tank and 200L in the back for the trip and detours inland and running around to visit the rels and friends. Literally costs me nothing in fuel.
I did go further up north one time and had to get fuel but there was a guy at Lismore  I met at the airport who gave me plenty of oil to get back home so I did give him $20 for a couple of beers for his trouble.  That 3000 KM trip was $20 on fuel given I didn't allow enough for that extra sight seeing.

Most of the veg guys that dropped in had family with them and a lot of stuff to carry so they were usually limited to a tank and 100L or so. Still plenty of range to go to Melb from Sydney and back without having to get any more fuel along the way.

Anyway, Looking forward to you posting how the trip goes in a tesla.

What sort of trailer you picking up? Car trailer?

Trev

Guru

Posted: 02:26am 25 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Christmas 25 Dec 2019

Davo & Boppa, you are a bit rough on each other. I am glad you managed to tame it.
Happy Christmas Davo and Boppa.

Boppa said ...EV is 'pie in the sky'- well I'll be happy for you to pick up my trailer in Melbourne......Time isn't an issue- as long as it is in in Brisbane before May...

Next year's AEVA EV Expo is in Melbourne. Will be a bit later than May, but what you think? should I drive it too!. There is a possibility that the year after, will be in Perth. I asked Glen (MGEV) and he said Melbourne - no way, but Perth... he would be interested, over the top, not the bottom.

I may also have the trailer and T-Rev on too, so wouldn't be able to bring back another trailer anyway. I would like to think that T-rev will be registered before then, so someone else could drive it and leave the trailer at home.

I would be interested to see if a Tesla could pull a heavy load up hills, with no gearbox. I did a talk at the Sydney show on towing.
I will find the video later, Gotta go.....

Ok Marcy is back now with our neighbor, 96yr old lady still living on here own. We do keep a check on her and keep the yard clean for her. Christmas lunch coming up. Hope everyone else spends some time together with someone too.... make their day.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:22am 25 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Christmas lunch is done.

Here is the link to the towing talk. I did forget to say (in the talk) that I require the gears for the long steep hills when towing. Check the elevation chart at the start of this thread. Take note of the hills just north of Sydney. If anyone knows of a Tesla, or any EV, towing 1100kg going up these hills ..... or up Toowoomba range, west of Brisbane, please post it. I am curious to know if it is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV5jF-BTKn4&list=PLk4sOBOsCjD27rBs0tIff_XME6rRJrCuq&index=2

There were lots of talks at the Sydney EV Expo, some of them may come up on the side of this one. Lots of interesting info.
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Trev

Guru

Posted: 04:53am 25 Dec 2019
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a snapshot around the Sydney EV Expo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SN3lwfgbgs
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Page 4 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024