Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:18 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Other Stuff : Coronavirus humour (please add)

Page 3 of 7    
bob.steel

Posted: 03:18am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ive been self isolating for years and didnt realise how useful it was till I farted in the lift.

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:05am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the wikioedia link for the HCQ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine

Notice it was approved in 1955 in USA

Quote  Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[2]

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[6]
The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$4.65 per month as of 2015, when used for rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.[7]

In the United States the wholesale cost of a month of treatment is about US$25 as of 2020.[8]

In the United Kingdom this dose costs the National Health Service about £5.15.[9]

In 2017, it was the 128th most prescribed medication in the United States with more than five million prescriptions.[10]

I am wondering if the doctors and dentists  are waking up in Australia, as they seem to be prescribing for each other and good on them they are in the frontline.  Where have I got this idea from?

https://www.psa.org.au/prescribing-hydroxychloroquine-for-covid-19/
Prescribing Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

I was going to contact a friendly doctor and ask for a prescription just a little safety measure, I think I can say good by to that, unless excema might just get it over the line.

I would look at following

500mg daily Hydroxy Chloroquine
500mg daily Azithromycin
220mg daily Zinc sulfate

The zinc is the interesting one, not sure if it increases the efficiency. May look into that.

I am also being barred from some important information, which I believe I could get into 24 hours ago, when I made a link check on some 25 links I had received. That is concerning from my point, I was hoping hat I would need to download everything.
Edited 2020-03-27 16:36 by plover

Clockmanfr

Guru

Posted: 09:05am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guys,

Hi plover,

Yes we know about the French guy.  My Mrs says it looks promising but no serious peer revue medical testing with the 19 yet.

The trouble is that even in the medical side of business the middle men have got themselves in positions of creating work and projects just to keep companies going with grant funding.

My Mrs has Doctorates, MBA's etc and is actually a Microbiologist from the prestigious Pasture Institute in Paris, and at present writes freelance Blogs and press releases for large Medical pharma's, "Its better paid talking about it than actually doing it".

She constantly fights with the middlemen in those corporate structures. Remember that todays business world its all about money and growth at any cost, and yes even others misery.

Now, I am being asked by those stupid middlemen high up in Engineering companies, to produce medical ventilators overnight in the UK.

My reply, "Look you idiots there are perhaps about 180 differing injection dies required just for the basics, and the plastic injection system, then the electronics and the drive system, fabrications, a multitude of many components. And you want it done yesterday and you want it at minimum cost, Fool!."  

Then I got serious,... "Do we have the skills ie, especially the Die makers to do all this overnight? Do you actually know what and how a die is made? Do we have the skills we can rustle up overnight for the other manufacturing components?, can we test and prove, who takes the wrap when something fails because of poor or inadequate QC"   Middle men are skilled at passing the buck.

I can do my best, but there are limits dealing with incompetent fools.

The internet is a useful tool, and that's all.  Today its mostly self promotion for a subliminal underlying financial reasons.

The French government are in crisis at present as they can not test all their medical frontline workers, nor can they supply key workers with adequate protection.  Ie, they kept stocks so normally low, just in time principle, and now they have run out.

I have some friends just down the road, Odile, who works in the French medical service on the front line with mentally disturbed patients. "We have run out of good masks and skin protection".

I offered her one of my spare suits and a spare half mask, she will need a face shield, isopropanol alcohol for cleaning and boxes of surgical Nitryl hand gloves which I was more than willing to give her.

However, "That's very radical, I don't think my boss will allow that amount of protection. As the other staff would demand the same".

So my spare stuff is awaiting collection, or I might deliver it next Tuesday morning when I venture out shopping for food.

Schooling.   …. my youngest is at home and spends 2 hours a day Online with a French server School system, which yes, keeps falling over due to high demand.
 The teachers keep pumping out documents for pupils to print.    Yep, run out of printer Ink for both my printers, MY BAD!
I will try and get some more at the supermarket on Tuesday, but I don't hold out much joy.     So if you have children and schooling at home GET SPARE INK.  

Rules are rules here, Even when I am wearing my full chemical suit I still have to stand in line with 2 meters between people and limited numbers access to supermarkets. So shopping can take many hours.  

Masks...… Industrial Professional Chemical Full mask

Chemical Half Mask with the same filters, but needs a face shield for total protection.
I was NOT sufficient for me as my eyes swelled up, its the micro droplets from the chemical fumes that I use.

Oh yea, folk are actually dying around us in our local towns. And yes the young get it also, as my 13 year old had it with the same symptoms, but his period of illness was only a quarter of the time compared to me.
Edited 2020-03-27 19:15 by Clockmanfr
Everything is possible, just give me time.

3 HughP's 3.7m Wind T's (14 years). 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (10 yrs). 21kW PV AC coupled SH GTI's. OzInverter created Grid. 1300ah 48v.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 09:33am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The medical anti-malarial dose of quinine was limited to the amount that was tolerable, AFAIK hydroxychloroquine was about as effective but had a little less side effects. I think the chloroquine has significant side effects at the anti-malaria dose, ie if 1000 people take it and it makes 0.1% die of heart problems, it becomes a risk in itself, so prescription is not straightforward.

ed - Hope you are all OK clockman. I guess treat the symptoms at least.  
Edited 2020-03-27 19:42 by zeitfest

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

On the subject of treatments, I have maintained since Virtual legal Drinking age that a good , straight shot of spirits does wonders for me when I have a cold or flu.
Every time I get sick with a cold, I have a good belt and I am FAR better the next day and from then on.

And I'm not just a piss pot looking for an excuse. I Rarely drink, Social occasions ( and colds) only. I cannot stand beer either. I try it about every 10 years and it still tastes vile. Straight spirits though I really like. Any of them.

I was tested about 15 years ago in an organised Study.
They sat me down, had me consume a couple of bottles of ( surprisingly decent) Red wine and tested my blood alcohol levels at time and consumption intervals.

My readings were so low first time round ( 2 bottles of red in 2 Hours barely registered and nothing like over the limit) they thought the machine was on the blink so they invited me to come back.  This time there was a " manager" supervising the girl that did the first test and the machine had been checked and calibrated.
Same result.

They put it down to an unusually high metabolism for Alcohol.  When telling my dentist at the time, he thought it made sense. He said you always put it down to being a wimp you were always in pain but you are just eating up the aesthetic. He upped the dosage and told me what to tell Medicos and I have no more trouble now.

Seems to me that if you wash your hands with alcohol to kill bugs, then a bit in your bloodstream can't hurt.  Yeah, I know, can't be that simple and I DON'T want to know.
Maybe it is psychosomatic that it works for me, don't care. I get the result I want and that's what matters.

I have been having a few hits of late, every time I get a sneeze or cough lately I go get a drink. At this rate I'll Finish a whole bottle before the year is out! Be a big year for me.  I can put it away like few others, I just don't feel the need. Never actually been drunk in my life either.  Unfortunately most medicines bounce right off me without touching the sides as well which is a distinct drawback.

I still maintain though that having some booze in you has to kill at least some of the bugs and with nothing else really open to me, that's going to be my medicine against this along with a LOT ( like 20+ tablets a day) of Vitamin C.
That also works well for me and since dosing up on that in winter, I haven't had a single cold in 4 years.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks like a doubling per three days. So that is roughly a thousand fold in a month. I would guess therefore that most people in the West at least will get it in the next six months, unless there are widespread closedowns. Maybe it is better to get it sooner, while there are some resources in hospitals,  instead of later.  The US, Spain etc will be in a seriously bad situation soon I think.

My local pharmacy (suburban Sydney) is now boarded up for safety with a safe-collection box, prescriptions only by prior arrangement via Facebook messenger or dropping the scrip off and they call you. People with bad respiratory problems (sneezing, hacking coughs etc) are fairly frequent in the shopping centre. Supermarkets are cleaning the checkouts after each customer, and a lot of shops are simply closed.  The next few months will be er, "interesting" to say the least.

Remember though, most people will only have mild symptoms and recover easily.
Good luck - sorry to be gloomy.
Edited 2020-03-27 20:24 by zeitfest

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:26am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All the data you could want...

https://covid19.wavefront.com/dashboards/main_dashboard#_v01(g:(d:2419200,ls:!t,s:1582885493,w:'4w'))

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:43am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Davo99

When I was in my 20's, in the village I lived in there was a really horrible head cold going around that had got everyone except my mate... then one weekday night he was sniffing and I looked at him and said "ahhh! it's got ya hasn't it?". He got up out of his chair, "Right if I'm going through this I'm not going to know much about it" grabbed a new bottle of Sambuca and went to bed. Did the lot barring half an inch in the bottom. Next morning he was right as rain and never did get it! So there may well be something in what you said as well as all the old wives tails having a grain of truth somewhere.

One thing I would caution you all on (and it is getting a bit "facebook" here) You need to follow medical advice and not start grabbing at things you read on the internet, and "I heard about a bloke" etc... We are all a bit worried and fear tends to make us a bit desperate... just chill out, stay away from everyone else and let it burn out.

Look at it this way; if no-one has any contact with anyone else, this thing is gone in a month - Dead/survived/un-infected, it will have run it's course and with no new body to infect it has to die. Of course that is Nirvana but isolation will keep YOU safe and limit covid's options

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 11:57am 27 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I have often heard people say "just have a drink and sit back for a bit". upend a glass of something.
I keep hearing we are upside down and back to front...like this.
Gotta get the last drop.

My attempt at a little humour.
He downed all of them many times over.
Its actually a bit of bird seed that fell in to the glass.
NOTE, for those that disapprove of the little bugger, I have removed the glass, in case of any of his mates is not a smart as he is.

Went to the shop today, saw quite a few face masks and gloves this time, place was full of people, definitely not locals, red lines marked on the floor around the checkout to keep 1 person a trolley  and a person apart from the next and a guard ( I guess) enforcing the rule.

We used hand sanitises when at the car and cleaned up.
I did see a person with face mask and gloves...took the mask off with the glove still on and brushed across nose, kinda defeated the whole purpose.
It very easy to make mistakes with hygiene.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 12:40am 28 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think this short Vid is the most Funny and truthful thing I have seen on the China Originated Viral Infectious Disease ( COVID) so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGw5Ucmwk8

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 02:51am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr_tEdQvFcc&feature=youtu.be
Edited 2020-03-30 12:51 by Davo99

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:02am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good posts here, chums, enjoying this thread.

@ Davo99': I am inclined to agree TO SOME EXTENT.  I did buy a big bottle of good scotch once NZ was in level-4 lockdown(well, the day before that came into effect), and my mate has been running a stil here for the last six months or so(it is legal in NZ), and he has given me a couple of bottles of his 40% Vodka, and so.....yes - I am also just enjoying a few quiets each night.

NOT getting off my head, as that is not a good move with what is going on, but even just a shot or two of good quality hooch DOES take away all the anxiety and pretty much kills off the fear-factor too.  Until the next day.

Have even started drinking my home-brew that I bottled about Christmas time 2019, as it has been in cold-store now for about three months, and although it is....ummmm....harsh? compared to commercial beer, it is still something to drink and means I don't need to go out of the house to the supermarket etc.

I have about 20 bottles of 2.25 litre 'Coke Zero' homebrew, so that all of these should see me through the NZ quarantine anyway.  At least till they then decide to reopen or extend the quarantine.  Personally, I fully expect the latter, but we'll see.

@ CaptainBoing: Thanks for that link.  That is an extremely comprehensive set of datasets and charts etc.  
I have up until now, been using the worldometer site here.

@ Revlac: LOVE that photo of the bird in the glass!!!  That is awesome!  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:24am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Modern epidemiology and virology are heavily governed by statistics. Our direct treatment of viruses is still fairly woeful, subsequently it largely revolves around isolation and palliative care while letting the virus run its course and burn out.

Many have criticized governmental approaches to the COVID-19 epidemic, with several dissenting that the actions are "draconian" (never mind that this thing is a killer - and an effective one!)

The following link is a very good illustration of why and how the advice will work if people stick to it.

https://youtu.be/ZB6jajr7an0

stay safe

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:57am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That trial with Quinine and a few others...

sorry guys, not looking terribly promising.The research is rushed, incomplete, flawed and not properly peer-reviewed - and a bit dodgy... "one of the co-authors listed on the paper was, in fact, the editor-in-chief of the journal it was published in." hmmmmm

I understand people are desperate for something but Okaying a "cure" takes time, regardless of urgency. Beware, social media is full of bullsh*tters - don't blindly believe what you read.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/28/coronavirus_hydroxychloroquine_azithromycin/
Edited 2020-03-30 19:59 by CaptainBoing

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:57am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

they do say a dram a day keeps the quack away but bugger touching that commercial crap. I learnt to make my own and it 300% better than over priced crap that is full full of heads and some rank tails that they call flavour. Ever wonder why you get a nasty hangover after good drinking session well it the above that causes it

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:45am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Proteins are weird things. They fold in different ways and the same molecule can behave differently depending how it is folded.

The spikes on corona viruses (including COVID) have a specific protein on the end that allows the virus to bond to a cell wall and penetrate it to allow viral RNA to be inserted into the cell's DNA. The subject cell is then "re-tasked" into manufacturing more viruses - this is how they re-produce and explains why antibiotics don't generally work on them - the virus is inside our own cells. Cells "advertise" copies of the proteins they are currently making on their surfaces and this is what makes "Killer T-cells" (of various types, but notably CD8 and NK) recognize them as foreign - and kill them using a process called apoptosis... they quite literally instruct the cell to commit suicide. If the infection is not tackled quickly, the immune system may resort to "carpet bombing" our own tissues in a desperate attempt to destroy the abnormal cells. As Clark wrote; "There follows the disease stage with the ominous name “liquefaction and cavitation.” Large sections of lung tissue are literally melted away by disease. But notice that it is not the [infective agent that is] the major culprit now; in these late stages of the disease, the vast majority of the damage is done by the host’s own T cells". This is called "immunopathology" - disease caused not by infection, but by the immune system. This damage results in exposure to secondary infections (e.g. pneumonia, sepsis, "drowning" in excess fluid etc.) and what grows back in COVID's case (assuming survival) is scar tissue - not lung tissue. Hence the permanent damage. I can thoroughly recommend a book that deals with this whole thing - "In Defense of Self" by William R. Clark.

... anyway ... I got to thinking about the 'a nip keeping the doctor away' thing... I have seen it with my own eyes and too many people swear by it for it to be baseless.

Then I found this and it turns out Alcohol is a powerful "de-naturant" for proteins - i.e. it interferes with the way proteins can fold.

So I get to thinking that maybe if the spike proteins can't fold the way they need to for successful penetration of a cell... Now I am not suggesting everyone goes out and becomes a soak - the risks of high alcohol intake are greater long term I think, but maybe the throat having a wash over with something strong "de-activates" the viruses by changing those proteins into the "wrong key"...

I am not medically trained in anyway and I do not recommend consuming strong spirit in damaging amounts, just trying to understand why what I have seen first hand might work and if there is any possible mechanism that *might* explain it in terms I can understand. It is highly likely that I am wide of the mark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defense-Self-Immune-System-Really/dp/0195335554/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=%22in+defense+of+self%22&qid=1585565432&sr=8-1
Edited 2020-03-30 22:00 by CaptainBoing

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:59am 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to treat flu with a few large whiskys and some Codral, crawl into bed and sleep it off. But they changed the codral... it used to have codeine and pseudoephedrine, which fixed a lot of the symptoms, but now it has been altered to be much weaker stuff by the muppet squads   . Paracetamol is completely useless to me at least.
At least that leaves the scotch... you say distilling is legal in NZ ? way to go...

PS good link CB... the numbers are eye-popping  
Edited 2020-03-30 22:10 by zeitfest

plover

Guru

Posted: 12:58pm 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Regarding the
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/28/coronavirus_hydroxychloroquine_azithromycin/

I recognized the chart as the one I have posted a number of places.

I wonder why the second picture was not posted as well from the paper?

A bit more study of the paper seems to give a different impression to me than the judgement it is hogwash?  I think it is wrong that the people involved who are frontliners in an emergency, real one that is killing people every day has that to added to their load.

Mind you Clockman a few posts back enlightened us to the plight of the French, they are not exactly swimming in the right equipment.

The Register did not make any mention of the Chinese were recommending the use of the mixtrure of HCQ and Azithromycin, I saw the reference, I even have a copy I believe of one of the Chinese papers. As well "HCQ" has been recommended in China to go on the so called Proper Trial as well.

As I understand they have done similar and found the significant effect, seems to me they did not wait around they, tested it  and found a surprise.

This is what Trump has cottoned on to, so from what I understand lots of units were available last Tuesday in new York but I have not been able to find out if they have been put in use at all.

You US readers please help here  

What I have found they running around trying to work out who is elligble ??? and how should the forms be designed ( perhaps also only those that can afford to pay the hospital bill will be included)

We now have a death only a couple of km from where I live, out of the blue patient came in and died while the testing was done.  Australia is also testing the HCQ/A I believe because it was significant enough to ask for about 800 thousand dollars to do the real testing.

Why do the media not offer to help looking into these things in depth and push for frontline doctors to be allowed some action with blessing, because it had not been properly tested?? Why do the media not report that doctors have cottoned on and prescribe for each other to such a degree that Chemists have been told in Australia not to fulfill prescriptions and more convoluted in US where same thing is in place after Trump lifted the ban for doctors to prescribe CQ at the 1 Jan out of the blue.  Doctors could prescribe for years but when the French paper came out suddenly the door closed.

Ok there are some juicy bits in this, find out for yourself it is so damned time consuming.

I noticed The Register finished off with deathblow, people are dying?  Did the Register check the death certificate?  What a piece of Journalism.  

You can not believe just anything that the media or many journals now write. I have read a slightly different version about people thinking that CQ was the stuff used in pool cleaning or fish tanks. But the same idea.  This is spindoctoring in my opinion and perfect for spreading via social media too.
Edited 2020-03-30 23:05 by plover

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 30 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yes some good points raised, hold on a moment...

"Beware, [deleted] media [of all sorts] is full of bullsh*tters - don't blindly believe what you read."

There I fixed it.  

plover

Guru

Posted: 05:26am 31 Mar 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My wife just reminded me about something we discussed some days ago when I brought the French test to her attention. Some interesting test carried out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIymfznD7YA

This is great video which many people can actually understand. It is about Zinc knocking the virus for six.  I was going to study this further but forgot that Cloroquines roll was significant.

Page 3 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024