Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:08 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 150V 45A MPPT - roll your own

Page 24 of 50    
noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 03:05am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

pics of test bed...

again, thx in advance
I think it works !!

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 03:54am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Noneya, software is not my forte but at first glance the output volts D - should that be 0.133 instead of 0.0133 - I am using the 54V & corresponding value in the line above as a reference ? I havent looked at a schematic either, just shooting from the hip.

if its something I did wrong on the PCB I also apologise in advance !
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

poida

Guru

Posted: 06:10am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Noneya:

First, it's important that you have made a few changes to the design. This is probably going to be OK but I'll bet something will be overlooked that will be seen as important later.

The 10 pin connector appears to be correct, the vital connections that MUST be CORRECT
are the two ground pins, 12V and PWM.
All the rest are going to analog inputs, 6 in total and we can change things in software to suit.
So my first thought is "IS the 10 pin connector correct?" We can prove that with the oscilloscope showing pwm output from the brainboard and the gate drive, relative to ground as it goes into the TLP-250 inputs. Prove this first.

Now we need to look at the inputs to the nano on the brainboard.
Make sure the midpoint of the input voltage divider goes to "A0 -Vin" 1K resistor.
Use the continuity function on the DMM
Then prove the output voltage (as divided, on the power board) is going to
"A2 - Vout"

Then we look at the current sensor outputs. IN turn prove the input current sense output, AFTER R13 on the the powerboard, is going to the 1K resistor "A1 - Iin"
and then prove the output current sense is correctly connected.

We must be sure that the 4 analog inputs are what we think they are.

Then use the DMM and see what voltage the 2 current sensors are putting out.
If you used bipolar type sensors, you should see about 2.5V on the output at the sensor pin for zero current.
Measure this and all things with respect to battery DC ground

Then if all the above is in place my firmware will have a chance of running.
wronger than a phone book full of wrong phone numbers

poida

Guru

Posted: 07:09am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Noneya:

I had a look at your "basic pwm"
I prefer not to go there.

I would use the code I posted before.
I will post it again here.

We need to alter things within the code to make the 4 important
quantities be correct. This is easy.

Connect a 10K pot with Ground and 5V on the outer terminals and the wiper
going to A5 on the brainboard.
This will be a good test rig for the powerboard.
We will be able to see how all 4 values relate to reality.

You use the test code in two stages.
First is calibration.
Apply known voltages to the input, see the LCD or serial console, adjust the code
to suit to have it show the measured voltage.
Again do this for output.
Then apply a known current through the Input sensor, noting that they reflect
the direction of flow. Have the positive on the input side of the sensor.
Adjust the code to suit.
I first set the zero offsets, then I set the gains.

Once all 4 are showing correct values, then we hook up an inductor and load
and give it a current limited input.
Fiddle the pot, see the output change. It will be slow to change after the pot moves.

This test program has been of uncountable value to me in developing an understanding
of the mppt charge controller.

I have many versions of this test code, all tailored for specific power boards and brainbaords. I built 3 power boards, all with different current sensors, and different input voltage dividers. So I have many versions of the test code.

Here is a version I know works
buck_converter_nics_1_b2_nano_sserial_bb.zip

The bits you change when calibrating are:

xVin = 0.1196;
 xVout = 0.0900;
 xIin = 0.121;
 xIout = 0.117;
 tIin = 0.00;
 tIout = 0.00;
 oIin = 511;
 oIout = 512;

xVin = the factor to convert input voltage (pin A0) to volts.
xVout the same, for output voltage on pin A2

tIin and tIout are offsets in calculations and can be ignored and leave them at zero.

oIin needs to be set by you, so that the displayed input current = 0
same for OIout. Lots of builds will need different values.
My sensors output about 2.5V and this corresponds to 511 or 512 counts

xIin is the factor needed to show the applied current on the input
And the same for xIout

xIin is connected to pin A1
xIout is connected to pin A3

You can set these easily to suit your build.

for instance, using the above values, you apply 30V on the input.
You see the LCD or serial monitor show 25V.
What to do..
multiply xVin x 30.0/25.0 so that means xVin needs to be 0.1196 x 30.0 / 25.0
or make xVin = 0.1435. Then upload the now changed firmware and check the results on the LCD.

noneyabussiness
Guru

Posted: 08:34am 04 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thank you for your advice, i have checked it over vs the schematic, but ill go over it again with a fine tooth comb in the morning.. i did try your test code, the only change was the voltage on the serial console when I twiddled the pot, hence why i used that generic code off of google (pedestrian i know)... I've obviously made a boob of myself , i mean boo boo..
I think it works !!

poida

Guru

Posted: 07:35am 05 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Under the heading of "pics or it didn't happen"

here is the low power mppt controller that is hooked up to the East facing array on the roof. It has run without any issue for a week (I fixed what I think is the last bug in the firmware last weekend)
Today we had low cloud and near continuous drizzle.
This must be Melbourne! Yes indeed.

You can see 2 supplies. One is a a non-isolated dc-dc converter, this provides the 12V.
The other is a floating output supply which is used for the gate drive of the MOSFETs

And for those who say "yeah but I don't have one of them fancy digital oscilloscope thingies so how will I see anything?"

My standard test of 20kHz, 110V, 2kW
Here it is using the Tek 2235

Let's build a few and see what they do.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:58am 05 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh yes !
Looking really good there Peter  
Cheers,  Tony.

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

poida said  So after a bit of time I have something that CAN survive a short on the
output.
We can use the atmega328p comparator system. (The Nano and Uno use this chip)
This means we use pins D6 and d7.
I have a set point voltage from a multi turn trimpot on d7
And I have the output of a LEM 16 current sensor going into d6.

Is a 10K trimpot about the right value here? Could not see it anywhere when I read through.
Also I have managed to get my hands on a 3K Aero-Sharp, so will the LEM sensor out of this be OK for the over current.

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

poida

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think a 10K trimpot would be fine.

The sensors from a 3kW include the "15" nominal type.
These go up to 50Amps. If you want a bit of headroom in the range,
shunt the sensor's current sense wires with a bit of 4.5mm2 copper or something.

If I recall, you should find 2 "15" types, good for +/50 Amps
and one "6" type, good for +/20 Amps

And the short circuit protection is not very good.
I've blown a board when testing it.
It offers some protection, and maybe that's better than nothing.
But if also gives a false sense of security.

My approach is Just Don't Short Circuit anything.
Not input, not output, not inductor terminals.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 01:33am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could perhaps try a low cost 50A fast blow automotive fuse ?

That may arc continuously if there is significant series inductance or at higher dc voltages.
But with a bit of thought about where the fuse is located, it might offer some short circuit protection.

Best chance might be after the final filter electrolytics. The stored energy is going to vaporize that fuse instantly before the current in the choke can begin to rise high enough to kill the mosfet.
Cheers,  Tony.

poida

Guru

Posted: 02:08am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Warp,
I simple fuse will help. It would teach me not to do that thing that blows the fuse all the time!

I have been thinking about other disaster scenarios.

One is when the MOSFETS fail. They usually fail SHORT and so that will have the solar array connected to the battery, via the inductor. The battery voltage shall rise until
night time or the human sees the fault.
And then next day the voltage of the battery will rise well past damage point.

I think I would like the fuse above, on the output. And have an SCR crowbar, with the gate set to about 60V, ready to blow the fuse.

During the testing that I am doing with an underpowered solar array source, there is little chance a shorted/failed mppt converter would result in overcharged battery in my situation. It is Winter in Melbourne after all.
Summer is another thing altogether.

I think I sample the battery voltage, divide it down to trigger the SCR at 60V.
And use an RC low pass filter on it to remove any weird spikes that may be present.
This is something I would want on any future revision on the power board.

I could make it ghetto style all wrapped up in shrink tubing, hanging off the battery terminals of the power board. For added convenience a socket for the fuse would be good.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 03:00am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A hardware over voltage crowbar would be the safest way to do it, I have used Motorola MC3425 with success in the past for similar tasks. I have tried simpler circuits, but these can result in false tripping from noise and at power up which can be a damned nuisance.

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/500608/Motorola/MC3425/1

My own system uses a digital battery voltmeter that has under voltage and over voltage alarms, and the respective relay contact outputs activate a shunt trip coil on my battery circuit breaker/isolator.

Battery protection does not need to be all that fast, under voltage and over voltage are things that creep up on you. Just a commercial voltmeter module, a shunt trip coil and a few wires makes for something very simple and reliable.
Edited 2020-07-07 13:10 by Warpspeed
Cheers,  Tony.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 09:25am 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

poida said  Under the heading of "pics or it didn't happen"

Let's build a few and see what they do.

Poida, just out of curiosity, on your picture the little display shows "17C & 21C" as the last item in the first two lines.

what does that indicate?

thanks.

poida

Guru

Posted: 10:58pm 07 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Those two numbers are the temperatures of the heat sink and the inductor

The when under any sort of load the inductor will be hotter.

mason

Posted: 10:22pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter, received the boards today thanks they all look great. now have to wait for all the parts..

I take it you got the coin for them?

poida

Guru

Posted: 10:49pm 08 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mason said  Peter, received the boards today thanks they all look great. now have to wait for all the parts..

I take it you got the coin for them?

Yes, I got it a few days ago.

Solar Mike
Guru

Posted: 06:06am 10 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Located these small low cost powder iron E220-52 Cores on AliExpress Link , that will work ok at 40 amps and 50% duty. ie 100v PV input, 50v out

Stack of 2 cores 40 amps:
20 Khz PWM, 23 turns 6awg wire, Ripple current 10 amps, total loss 17w.
40 Khz PWM, 20 turns, Ripple current 5.6 amps, total loss 12.9w

I have ordered 5 sets, will use 1 set on my small generic controller 64Khz PWM, @35 amps

Cheers
Mike

SYM-1

Posted: 06:43am 10 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I haven't populated the boards yet and I only have 100 turns of 2.3mm dia on the -2 inductor.  I am intending to increase this to 4 sets of parallel sets of 100 turns yet to get the resistance down.

Losses are still quite high.

Some of this is due to my slow gate switches using 2 sets of PC817 in a DCOI arrangement.  I used 2 sets because if you one set you get inversion and the micromite I am using to produce the PWM signal defaults to ON if the program stops so I get full voltage across the output.  I have been through a few fuses and $3 FET's.  

I am using a IRFB4115 FET for testing.  The diode I am now using is a VS-UFB280FA20 from RS.  It is 45ns and 1.1V drop at 120A.  Two diodes in the package.

So losses probably high due to 3 things
-DCOI
-losses in windings

The DCOI is quite slow on the rise time but the upshot of this is I have no switching noise.

I plan to try out the FET's everyone else is using plus one or two other FET's I have once I am happy the circuit is stable.

I blew up my first pair of diodes - they were 10A diodes (2 of them) but they blew up at about 11A.  The diode I am using now is rated at 175A and 200V.

Here are some pictures of progress so far.

Voltage In

Voltage in drops a bit because I have a 1 Ohm resistor to stop inrush at the moment.  Here is a picture of the input pulling 1kw from my batteries.

Here is the output

Here is the trace of the output voltage across 0.75 Ohms.  I am getting about 5V swing - 6.6A

I am running at about 8kHz.   At 20kHz I don't get as much transmitted energy.  Maybe when I speed up my gate drive I will be able to increase the frequency.  I get a bit better efficiency at higher frequencies.

Here is a picture of the test bench.  The FET is on the big heatsink.  It does not get off cold.  The lamp is a 24V lamp which is my highest target voltage at this stage and gives me a good idea how the circuit is running.

The micromite monitor

The load

The DCOI driver using PC817's

The 5.2 inch -2 inductor with 2.3mm dia windings

Here is the gate power supply.  I think there is some advantage to limiting this 16.9V to 12V to speed up the gate.  I will try that in the future.

Persistence is the key

SYM-1

Posted: 07:00am 10 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the swing once the batteries are hooked up - 9A or 18A makes no difference to the voltage trace.

When I hooked up a 33000uF 40V capacitor to the output the oscilloscope output was just flat.

Edited 2020-07-10 17:10 by SYM-1
Persistence is the key

wiseguy

Guru

Posted: 08:15am 11 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok finally found a few minutes to post some pictures of the bobbin I created for the triple stacked EE65 cores.

The PCB design as it arrived.

Cut up and assembled (soldered along joints).

Against a bank note for size reference.

And with 3 x 1/2 cores on 1 side and 1 x 1/2 core other side for a cut away view.

Funny email from PCB maker - Sir we think you have forgotten the drill file - er no there is no drill file. But Sir I dont think we ever made a pcb with no holes. Ok well theres a first time for everything I guess. Please make it as is - there are no holes.

The material used is 1mm for the inner bobbin webbing, the two side pieces are 1.6mm thickness.  Cost for each prototype order (10 pieces each) 2 x $7. I ordered it with another job so freight was free. Each bobbin cost to me $1.40 in pcb material. The finished assembly is seriously rigid/strong, I reckon I could stand on it without breaking it. I will need to file the sharp edges at the 90 degree bends though as they would cut into the wire.

The astute will notice a gap in the copper along the centre of the bobbin - this was to avoid a shorted turn.

Hopefully I can get some turns on it and have a play with the saturation tester soon. My FETs should arrive next week so I can finally build up a whole unit. If it works as expected and anyone wants one, they can be flat packed ikea style and posted in an envelope for ~ $1.10 no alan key required !
Edited 2020-07-11 19:14 by wiseguy
If at first you dont succeed, I suggest you avoid sky diving....
Cheers Mike

Page 24 of 50    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024