Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:00 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM interfacing with 5V CMOS

Page 2 of 7    
Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:31am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil,

Tom is trying to use the 5 volt tolerant I/O pins as open collector (open source?) outputs of a Colour Maximite to interface with a 5 volt device. His arrangement should be OK.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 01:57am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a look NES Controller Interface

I programed like they did there but with a Z80

it was asm but went something like this

Set result to all highs
 latch
loop
 clock
 read data
 map into result
 clear clock
repeat until all are read
 clear latch

any lows show button/s pressed

Later had to go the other way making a keyboard send combinations to consul
for a girl with one hand.

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 02:38am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Quarzee

I have been sitting here wondering what an NES controller is/was and thinking it is probably some very clever complicated esoteric thing.
Thanks for that.  

Peter

flip

Posted: 05:00am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,
Sorry that was my first post for many months and I may be a bit rusty  

Can you refer to the OP's circuit along with his code (a few posts up) It shows
a) 2 pins (11&12) set as outputs.
b) 1 pin (13) set as an input (i.e receiving data from the 5V device)
sorry I didn't spell this out in so many words.

When the device sends 5V to the uM, it will connect it's 5V supply to the data line via the high-side FET. Using the OP's circuit this 5V current source will be presented to the uM Pin 13 (which is set as an INPUT). The uM's protection diode will attempt to shunt this over-positive current to it's 3V3 rail. The FET, the wire and the protection diode will together be the only limiter to the current. It may be fine, but I was just suggesting it's better design to cater for this within the normal operating specs of both devices.
(Of course I repeat assuming Pin 13 should be set an input)

Hope you get the point I'm trying to make
(Edit) Sorry I also had Pin numbers wrong - Tom's using 11,12 & 13 (corrected in this post just now)

(2nd Edit) Geoff's article specifically mentions potential lockup if using an Input of 5V on the CMM ( refer http://geoffg.net/MaximiteDesign.html )..(sorry I'm having trouble with hyperlinks at the moment). Therefore I stand by my previous post (apart from the fact I may have mentioned Pin3 when I should have mentioned 13)

Regards Phil
Edited 2020-04-05 15:49 by flip

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:24am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Phil,

But I can't find that reference on that page. Is it somewhere else? Does it refer to 5 volt tolerant pins?

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:28am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  ... or lowering the pullup resistor values to (say) 1K.

And the winner is Bill

After I've had a chance to fiddle some more later I'll reply to other comments.

Thanks,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

flip

Posted: 08:10am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries Tom,
Glad you got it going.
But do refer to that page and the following
  Quote  Another danger is SCR latch up which can be caused by a large current (>20mA) being forced through the protective diodes.  This could happen if the Maximite is connected to another circuit that is powered up before the Maximite and in this case the best protection is to include a series resistor to limit the current on any susceptible inputs

Some HCMOS device outputs can easily source over 20mA so it could cause some random issues / failures if you are relying on the protection diodes to protect the Maximite's Inputs.

Regards Phil

flip

Posted: 08:55am 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all sorry...I just checked original Maximite articles and it clearly says 5V tolerant inputs are capable of having 5V presented without voltage divider.

Please ignore all my posts and humblest apologies...
I'll go away and hide now  

Good luck with your project...
Regards Phil

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 11:07pm 05 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'Day Phil

I would invite you to hide under my bed but I'm still under there.
Just remember, the person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Peter

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 08 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Time for a full reply now ...

Turbo46 said  OK, presuming that in item 2 you mean DOUT not DIN ...

Thank's Bill, I did mean that.

Turbo46 said  ... and you don't have your LED matrix connected as well ...

I don't. That's the next step.

Turbo46 said  ... the difference between it working and not working COULD be the impedance when the output signals are driven high. The clock and latch pulses may not be getting through properly due to long leads and capacitance. It seems that the "A" button is always correct because it does not rely on a clock pulse to be read.

I would try lengthening the clock and latch pulses and/or lowering the pullup resistor values to (say) 1K.

- Using 1K pull-ups worked.
- Using 2.2K pull-ups didn't work.
- Lengthening the CLOCK and LATCH pulses seemed to have no effect.

Turbo46 said  I would prefer to not have a clock pulse at all and do something like: ...

OK, but why? Both seem to achieve the same result. In your version you are relying on the delay due to the BASIC interpreter whereas in mine it is the delay built into the C/Assembler implementation of the Pulse() command.

Quazee137 said  Have a look NES Controller Interface ...

Thanks Quazee137, that is actually the reference I was using.

Quazee137 said  ... it was asm but went something like this

Set result to all highs
 latch
loop
 clock
 read data
 map into result
 clear clock
repeat until all are read
 clear latch

any lows show button/s pressed

I'm not sure that holding the LATCH high whilst pulsing the CLOCK is how the CD4021 is supposed to be used ... but I'm a newbie and maybe misunderstanding.

Quazee137 said  Later had to go the other way making a keyboard send combinations to console for a girl with one hand.

Good job!

flip said  Hi all sorry...I just checked original Maximite articles and it clearly says 5V tolerant inputs are capable of having 5V presented without voltage divider.

Please ignore all my posts and humblest apologies...
I'll go away and hide now  

Good luck with your project...
Regards Phil

No worries Phil, I'm just glad you were wrong as it was beginning to sound like Voodoo.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:16am 09 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  
I would prefer to not have a clock pulse at all and do something like: ...

OK, but why? Both seem to achieve the same result. In your version you are relying on the delay due to the BASIC interpreter whereas in mine it is the delay built into the C/Assembler implementation of the Pulse() command.

The data is available after the rising edge of the clock so using a pulse seems to be wasting time - that is nothing is happening during the pulse time. I know your clock pulse length is only 12uS but I have seen a lot longer pulse lengths used - maybe to cure the problem you have? Maybe my version may be too fast also, I don't know but it is similar to Quazee137's method. It does add an extra command (and time) to the loop though.

Using your method, I would find a pulse length that works with 2K2 pullup resistors and go with that plus the 1K pullup resistors just to be sure. I do realise that you want to read the controller ASAP so as not to interfere with the matrixing though.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:01am 11 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Bill,

I haven't been able to let this lie, perhaps I should?

Increasing the pulse length doesn't seem to have any effect, and
looking at the datasheet for a CD4021B (assuming I read it correctly)
the minimum clock pulse width at 5V is 180 ns, comfortably less
than the 12 us I am using.

Incidentally my DSO shows that the pulse width for:

Pin(CLOCK) = 1 : Pin(CLOCK) = 0

Is ~60 us on my Colour Maximite. This is however presumably
hardware dependent which might be a good reason to consider using
Pulse instead since that should presumably have hardware independent
behaviour.

In the absence of a better explanation I'm wondering whether the
problem is the pulse shape (presumably the gradient of the rising
edge). As the shots I've grabbed below (apologies for the quality
I only have a rudimentary DSO) the pulse definition becomes worse
as the resistor value increases. That said the difference in
gradient doesn't look significantly different and even at 4k7 the
clock rise time still looks less than the 15 us the datasheet
specifies ... again assuming I'm looking at the correct thing.

Regards,

Tom

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:38am 11 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

It seems clear that it is not the pulse length that is the problem. I think you are right and the problem is the rise time of the pulse although all examples of your traces look well withing the 15us rise time and the required logic levels.

You don't say where your traces are taken from? They may not be much different at the Maximite end but could be different at the CD4021 end after the capacitance of the cable and that of the input gate has it's effect on the edge of the pulse.

I would be checking the cable resistance from the Maximite to the CD4021 including the connector and checking that there is no difference between the 0v at the Maximite and the controller. Or I might just say blow it, 1K works so I'll use 470R just to be sure and leave it at that.

Keep Safe

Bill

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 11 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

When I woke up this morning with your problem on my mind something occurred to me and I had to check this page again.

There are NO capacitors on the controller board!

It is pretty much standard practice to have an electrolytic or tantalum capacitor to filter the power supply where it enters a board - especially at the end of a cable. Also most circuits will include at least one 100nF monolithic capacitor per IC mounted as close a possible to the IC power supply pins to reduce the effects of switching transients within the IC. The Maximite has 9 of these.

I would find a way to add a 10uF or more electrolytic capacitor near where the power supply enters the controller and a 100nF monolithic capacitor to the back of the IC across the supply pins. Being mindful of ESD and short circuits.

I wish I could say that would fix your problem but I can't. I know it's working with 1K pullup resistors now but it shouldn't be that critical and the DSO traces don't show why it is.

Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:04pm 11 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,

I'm flattered that you are still thinking about my little problem.

If I'm understanding you correctly the capacitors you are referring to (at least the 0.1 uF ones) are the despiking/decoupling/bypassing capacitors that Don Lancaster refers to in his TTL and CMOS Cookbooks.

Assuming by "controller board" you mean the NES controller board* then I would expect they are already present if required (and perhaps just missing from the referenced article); those Japanese fellows have a reputation for knowing a thing or two about electronics In any case I don't particularly want to "butcher" the controller by trying to fit additional capacitors to it.

* The controller I'm actually using is a (Fami)clone and the board just contains some button contact tracks and a single black epoxy blob about 1 cm in diameter. There is no guarantee it actually contains a 4021 (like an original NES)  it may actually be a 74C615 or other functionally equivalent package.

Should I have a 10 uF capacitor on my breadboard for the 5V supply from my Maximite? ... or from my linear benchtop power supply?

I haven't had the opportunity to poke the signals further. The traces I photographed were measured at the "4021" end ... though the scopes ground was attached near the power supply - would that matter of all the grounds were connected? The scope only has a single probe so I can't measure the clock pulse near the Maximite and near the "4021" simultaneously. I note that in the CMOS Cookbook it says "The rise and fall times on the clock input of clocked blocks must be faster than 5 us. Otherwise, erratic operation caused by clock skew can result." I'm not entirely certain how to interpret that, but the rise time is certainly in the 5 us ballpark.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2020-04-12 08:07 by thwill

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 11 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good evening Tom,

It's sad but things like that consume me. Yes those are the 0.1uF capacitors I mean although I don't have the books. There is no visible sign of a capacitor in the pictures of the NES controller board on that site.

I have used the 74HC165 for a very similar purpose for a Micromite project and they will run quite happily at 3.3v. This blob must include pullup resistors for the switch inputs then? Maybe it's a custom IC.

Yes, a capacitor on the breadboard would be a good idea. I understand your reluctance to "butcher" the board but I would still add the capacitors if there are none visible. They really should be mandatory. Most things these days are made to a price, it may work well for the intended application but as soon as you try something different...

Bill

PS I'll grudgingly admit that using a pulse may be the quicker method.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:50am 12 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill.b said  Hi all

I have found these devices useful when interfacing to 5v  ws2812 LED strip lights
Here

Bill

I was waiting for someone to mention those things!
I have used those once or twice, and they work great for 3v3 pins.
Matherp's OC output on 5v pins is fine for 5v pins, but if you don't have any 5v rated pins left and still need to interface bidirectionally between 3v3 and 5v, these little things are just the ticket, and cheap at about $1 each little 4-channel board.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 03:14am 12 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I looked at them when Bill suggested them but they were out of stock and still are. They may be available elsewhere but I didn't look.

The trouble with Banggood is their stuff takes sooo looong to arrive. I'd like to known what the chip is too.

Bill

PeterB
Guru

Posted: 04:03am 12 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill Grogster et al

Those level converters use a simple FET in a clever configuration. I will now try to remember the circuit.

Peter

edit. So I googled FET level converter and circuits popped up.

P
Edited 2020-04-12 14:07 by PeterB

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:46am 12 Apr 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, thanks Peter.

I Googled 'FET level shifter' and there are lots of them like this.

Bill

Page 2 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024