Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:56 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 16 of 25    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The schematic in the construction pack is correct and matches the PCBs made to the Gerbers - just checked

UPDATE

May be an issue with V1 will post more in a minute
Edited 2020-05-23 22:57 by matherp

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:05pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  But I have an other problem with the VGA-colors. I found differences between the schematic V1 and PCB-Layout. In the PCB-Layout are the ports to the colour-signal turned.

The V1 schematic is incorrect. Unfortunately Geoff had to re-draw my DesignSpark schematic to make it acceptable for the magazine and the order of the DAC signal lines have been reversed in the manual transcription

Correct, if illegible, schematic attached

Motherboard - Project.pdf
Edited 2020-05-23 23:13 by matherp

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:48pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have updated the schematic in the construction pack (http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Construction_Pack.zip) to correct this error.

The correct schematic is now Ver 2.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

SWA-Guy

Posted: 02:07pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Peter,

thanks for fast feedback.

I rewired the VGA-signal just like in your schematic. Now I have fantastic coloured screen.

Another point I found, is the numbering of the USB-Host Type A for the keyboard. Attached the numbering I found in the internet. It is different from your schematics as well as in Geoffs.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:24pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Another point I found, is the numbering of the USB-Host Type A for the keyboard. Attached the numbering I found in the internet. It is different from your schematics as well as in Geoffs.

The pin numbering is totally arbitrary and depends who drew up the schematic. Mine is the one that was provided by DesignSpark who happened to label the GND pin as pin-1 and then move forward.

Try the demo I just posted  

SWA-Guy

Posted: 03:00pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The pin numbering is totally arbitrary and depends who drew up the schematic. Mine is the one that was provided by DesignSpark who happened to label the GND pin as pin-1 and then move forward.

You are right, but if you (or me) use the schematic for your own testboard, you wire the connectors as shown in the schematic. And when then the numbering is not the same as in the standards declared you have problem. Just like here the keyboard would not work.

Sorry about my know-it-all instruction, but I'm an electrical engineer and deal with these things every day.

But nevertheless you and geoff do a fantastic job.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 23 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trace commands fixed in V5.05.02RC38

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Colour_Maximite_2_MMBasic.zip
Edited 2020-05-24 07:34 by matherp

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:23am 24 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

V5.05.02RC39

Fix to bug loading CMM1 compatible sprite files when in 12 or 16-bit colour modes. Needed to run the example in the graphics example thread.
NB: full change log is in the readme file

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Colour_Maximite_2_MMBasic.zip

SWA-Guy

Posted: 05:31pm 24 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Guys,

today I played a little bit with my color maximite 2 test system.

I noticed two things:

1. The core temperature goes up to 53°C with a current of 220mA for the complete system. The current for only the single Waveshare-board without my selfmade board is 210mA. Is this correct? In the beginning I read anywhere that the current should be ~145mA. I have two Waveshare-board, both have the same current.

2. If I use this little program to read the CPU-Temperature:

CLS
    Do
    TEMP1 = Pin("Temp")
    Text 10, 100, "CPU-Temp: "+Left$(STR$(Temp1), 5)
    Loop

I can't stop the program with "CRTL-C". Only a reset brings me back to the edit-mode.

How warm is your Color Maximite 2?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 24 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Temp and current consumption are both normal

Put a PAUSE 10 in the loop and Ctrl-C will work - I'll try and find out why it doesn't anyway - it should

UPDATE

I was using a very long ADC sampling time with massive oversampling and it was missing the USB keyboard polling interval. Ctrl-C worked in your example from a serial console but not from the USB keyboard. I've tested a fix and it will be in the next release
Edited 2020-05-25 04:46 by matherp

GregZone

Posted: 11:45pm 24 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all. First post. Congratulations to the team on a very interesting looking evolution of the Colour Maximite! :)

As someone who started out in the late 70's, with his own home built 6800 & 6809 systems (and hand assembled machine code), I see the following as 3 key points that make the CMM2 quite an appealing retro fun & educational system:
1. The great old-school instant power-on / stand-alone system.
2. A more complete and capable retro colour graphics capability.
3. A nicely evolved high-level interpreted BASIC, which now appears capable of running as fast as optimised machine code on old-school 1Mhz 8-bit CPU systems (this is quite a significant feature!).

After reading all threads and documentation, I just have a couple of intial questions (apologies if I missed the answers elsewhere):

a. Although it uses 32-bit ARM Cortex-M7 core (ie. not a "retro" simple 8-bit CPU core), is there ability to code / run applications in it's native Assembly code (or an ability to call embedded Assembly routines)?  Some of us just like the ability to do some coding at the bare metal level. :)  Plus, this also has further educational coding potential.

b. I couldn't find a changelog on the PCB revisions. I was just wondering what has changed in the current revison 2.1 PCB, versus the V2.0 PCB shown in the GizmoStore listing?

Looking forward to the CMM2 taking off with a huge community following, especially with the upcoming Silicon Chip article exposure!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:09am 25 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome.

To answer your queries as best I can
Peter replied to a. a few pages back:
I would have been very happy to include CSUB/CFUNCTION support in the CMM2 - it isn't very hard to do. However, the issue is how to create the CFUNCTION in the first place. Someone would need to work out how to configure STM32CubeIDE to produce elf files with the appropriate characteristics (position independent code etc.) and someone would need to write an equivalent of CFGEN for ARM elf files. Neither of these activities is anything I have any intention of tackling.

The only difference between the PCB versions is V2.1 has provision for replacing the crystal on the Waveshare module with an oscillator module.

This was done to help some video stability problems but since then, firmware changes have eliminated the video problems so the oscillator replacement is no longer required.

I think there was also a change to the copper fill regions. Again, no practical difference.

Jim
Edited 2020-05-25 10:10 by TassyJim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

GregZone

Posted: 06:43am 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks @TassyJim.

I was doing the planning to source all the parts to build my own, but I ended up ordering one from GizmoStore (I believe I got the 2nd to last one).

Unfortunately JLC are only allowing DHL Express to NZ at the moment, so the PCB’s would’ve been about $45 to land.  Then, several of the other parts (eg. from RS) where minimum qty 5, making the ancillary parts around $90 (not including the Waveshare CoreH743I board, or the 2mm pitch headers).  Then to cap it off, I could only find the 2mm headers on eBay, and I’m still awaiting eBay & AliExpress orders that I placed way back in March!

So the idea of building my own went out the window pretty fast.  Even if I’d had a bunch of other PCB’s that I needed to re-order (so as to amortise the DHL shipping cost), I would’ve still had the 2mm header unknown delay problem, and the min 5 qty parts to absorb.

I'm still likely to want to build my own eventualy, but it appears it’ll be most cost effective to actually build a batch of 5.  Then, I guess I’d need to sell 4 in order to recover the multiple qty build costs.

As always, every build project comes with it's challenges. :)
Edited 2020-05-26 16:44 by GregZone

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 07:36am 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@GregZone

(sorry if I'm double posting again - I have emailed Gizmo as having many problems posting from phone).

Have you tried contacting Grogster? He is based in NZ and should certainly be able to source the necessary parts for you that you require for a self-build CMM2.  
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 07:38am 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@GregZone

(sorry if I'm double posting again - I have emailed Gizmo as having many problems posting from phone).

Have you tried contacting Grogster? He is based in NZ and should certainly be able to source the necessary parts for you that you require for a self-build CMM2.  
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:57am 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware2 said  No way to do it with a USB stick or the card ?
I.E.
Download ? with a Raspberry Pi ...
Copy it to a stick or card ....
Plug that into the CMM ?

It looks like you should be able to use any RPi.

I've just started a thread about using dfu-util under Linux and it's in the raspbian repo so should work.

John

Decoy

Posted: 03:31pm 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I am out of the loop for a little while when I come back, the Maximite 2 has arrived. Crazy. I usually don't have problems with working with older hardware and systems, and I love retro-tech. However - I do enjoy that I can be into this (Maximite 2) from the start! I always felt late to the game with the Colour Maximite 1.

I have a question that I hope is not dim-witted: It has not escaped my attention that the Maximite 2 has fewer I/O ports than the Maximite 1. I am a great fan of numerous I/O's, as such I am fan of the Arduino 2560. So, is it possible to use a port expander (like the MCP23017) with I2C in MMBasic? If so, should I expect any problems like delay etc.?

Thanks a lot. I am so stoked for the Maximite 2!

Nicholas
Edited 2020-05-27 02:16 by Decoy

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:19pm 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  So, is it possible to use a port expander (like the MCP23017) with I2C in MMBasic?

Yes of course, the CMM2 has three I2C ports, two on the back connector and the Nunchuck connector is also I2C. Even easier and faster is to use one or more shift registers chained together on one of the SPI ports (74HC795)
Edited 2020-05-27 02:21 by matherp

Decoy

Posted: 04:27pm 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp, thanks! So - the MMBasic manual will have the code for how to use a port expander or shift register?

Decoy

Posted: 05:20pm 26 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just found it in the back of the user manual  

Page 16 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024