Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:31 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 20 of 25    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:12pm 06 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you have previously downloaded V5.05.02, please re-download and re-install

Re-upload at 16:57 UTC 06/06/2020

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/Colour_Maximite_2_MMBasic.zip

goc30

Guru

Posted: 04:44am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter

My question is quite simple and relates to keyboards
I am French and therefore my keyboards are all in "azerty", moreover it is quite complicated to find US or UK keyboards. And I think that might interest non-Anglo-Saxon CMM2 users
So, is it possible to have a configuration file that can be loaded at the start of the program, or of the font type, ie integrated into the "define keyboard" program which would replace the ascii codes and especially the navigation keys depending on the language loaded

thank

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:18am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would be happy to implement support for French keyboard. The problem is I don't have one and I can't find any information on what a USB French keyboard sends as codes. It is very possible it will work anyway i.e. "a" sends "a" but I don't know and can't seem to find out

SWA-Guy

Posted: 10:09am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I would be happy to implement support for French keyboard. The problem is I don't have one and I can't find any information on what a USB French keyboard sends as codes. It is very possible it will work anyway i.e. "a" sends "a" but I don't know and can't seem to find out

Hello Peter,

I agree with goc30 wish for additionally keyboard languages. I think all german members  would be happy for a german keyboard layout. Just like with the colour maximite 1.
Attached a document I found for a german scancode translation table.
Is this what you mean ? If not can you give an example how it should look like.

Thanks

KeyWarriorScancodeTables.pdf

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks like the information I need for a German keyboard but some things make no sense. According to that document you don't have a { } [ ]
characters on your keyboard. Does nobody in Germany program in C ?  

I'd also need to know what happens in non-unicode environments when, for example, you press SHIFT-3 or Ü which generate characters which aren't represented in ascii
Edited 2020-06-07 21:01 by matherp

SWA-Guy

Posted: 11:47am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  That looks like the information I need for a German keyboard but some things make no sense. According to that document you don't have a { } [ ]
characters on your keyboard. Does nobody in Germany program in C ?  

I'd also need to know what happens in non-unicode environments when, for example, you press SHIFT-3 or Ü which generate characters which aren't represented in ascii

Hello Peter,

attached the german keyboard layout. Sorry I didn't check all characters. The characters you mean are marked in blue and uses the "ALT Gr" key. I don't know if this is enough information or do this keys have a separate code.

For the german letters like "ö, ä, ü, ß" you can do it like in the colour maximite 1. The keys are free and not used. I think for this letters we need a separate font ?

The important think is that the existing english characters are on the right place of a german keyboard.

German_Keyboard.pdf

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:58am 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The important think is that the existing english characters are on the right place of a german keyboard.

That looks easy enough Y and Z swapped plus punctuation characters all over the place. AltGr is a bigger issue and needs more special case code which is a pain. I'm not going to do anything until there are users with a CMM2 and the requisite keyboard. At that point I will try and make it work. I'll start a separate thread for this.

Decoy

Posted: 04:06pm 07 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would love a Danish layout. Not only to get "Æ, Ø, Å" but also because it is very difficult to learn a new keyboard. Especially since keyboards close to Danish might not have QWERTY. With CMM1 I ended up using a spanish layout :)

I will post in the new thread when I have an assembled CMM2  

Thanks

cTrix

Posted: 04:23pm 09 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  The first formal release of the CMM2 software V5.05.02 is now available.

Geoff said  And similarly the documentation files have been updated to fix errors and include the final functionality:

Super excited - looks great and such a fantastic programming guide.  I ordered all parts and PCBs on zero-day (when CMM2 was announced) and still waiting on wave-share boards to arrive.  Is SC doing a full kit or just a PCB for order?
Link: YouTube Colour MaxiMite 2 Intro Video   |   ctrix.net

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 11:00pm 09 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  Silicon Chip will be offering a kit in the July issue.  It will include everything except the Waveshare board and case.  I think that the case + pre cut front/back panels will be offered separably.

Part 1 of the Colour Micromite 2 article will definitely be in the July issue (due out in late June).  Part 2 will be in August.

Geoff

Liked your youtube vid. Look forward to seeing one on the CMM2
Edited 2020-06-10 10:31 by KeepIS
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 10 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cTrix said  Is SC doing a full kit or just a PCB for order?

They will be selling a kit of parts not including the Waveshare module.  The case and front/back panels will be available separately.

They will also be offering just the unpopulated PCB.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 11 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just received a Waveshare board from this Ebay vendor. It arrived just 8 days after order in the UK and at a good price with no P+P and no import duty
Edited 2020-06-12 01:26 by matherp

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:35am 15 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I was fitting 3D printed 5mm high standoffs to mount the CMM2 board, then I realised I could make some that fit over the exiting mounts, making mounting the board easier, so I did.

4 rough & ready pieces produced & fitted as shown below. Worked well.

I had also 3D printed the two panels. Front printed at 0.2mm layer height was average. The rear printed at 0.1mm was a bit better

Simple SCAD code for one standoff

translate([0,0,0]){
   difference(){
   cylinder(h = 4, d = 7.5, $fn = 180, center = false);
   translate ([0,0,-0.1])
   cylinder(h= 5.2, d = 5.5, $fn = 180, center = false);
               }}
translate([0,0,4]){
   difference(){
   cylinder(h = 5, d = 7, $fn = 180, center = false);
   translate ([0,0,-0.1])
   cylinder(h = 5.2, d = 3.5, $fn = 180, center = false);
               }}
ChopperP

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:45am 15 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your standoffs will make fitting easier.

I cheated and drilled through the base and used 2mm countersunk bolts to mount the board. Saved trying to keep the standoffs in place.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 09:22am 15 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  Your standoffs will make fitting easier.
Jim

Yes, they certainly do especially as you have to angle the board to get it with the front panel in place.
Brian
ChopperP

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:40pm 15 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have found, while playing around with my front/rear panel sets, that you can really ignore the standoffs essentially.

Fit the front and rear panels to the board, lower into the base of the plastic enclosure, then simply do up the case screws.

The board can still move a little, but is is held pretty much in place just with the panels alone.  Fit a couple of small strips of foam-rubber to the top of the board, and then install the top of the case and do up the screws, and the foam-rubber holds the board pretty much perfectly, and stops it even rattling about even a little bit.

No need to then bother with the fiddly spacers, which INSIST on falling off or moving while you try to lower the board+panels into the case.  I guess you could certainly glue the spacers in just as Chopperp did, but I had done the foam-rubber thing before I updated my brain on this thread!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 01:06am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  II guess you could certainly glue the spacers in just as Chopperp did, but I had done the foam-rubber thing before I updated my brain on this thread!

Mine were a press (tight) fit over the existing mounting points. No gluing required.

My CMM2 came from CG & doesn't have the rear socket as such, & no front power switch so not much to hold the board to the back panel & same for the front panel.

With all the updates coming forth, one is always taking the lid off anyway.

Brian

ChopperP

GregZone

Posted: 02:36am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chopperp said  My CMM2 came from CG & doesn't have the rear socket as such, & no front power switch so not much to hold the board to the back panel & same for the front panel.

With all the updates coming forth, one is always taking the lid off anyway.

Brian

Does this help? (ie. not having to take the lid off to update).  User Manual Pg 113:
If you wish to load another version of the firmware (either earlier or later) this can be done by repeating the
steps above. In this case you can use the UPDATE FIRMWARE command to place the STM32 into download
mode (equivalent to setting the BOOT CONFIG switch to "SYSTEM") thereby avoiding opening the case.

I haven't tried this command just yet. My CMM2 has just arrived from CG as well, but unfortunately I'm having a few issues getting it up and running.  

Initially I was just getting power lights but no action.  I managed to update to latest firmware, but still no VGA output (or serial terminal output), on re-boot.

However, after removing the Waveshare module (to inspect all soldering), then re-inserting the Waveshare, I had my first successful start-up.

But... No joy with the SD card. Reseating the Waveshare again gave me one good SD card session, but then just repeating red LED flashes again with "Check Disk".

Continuity testing the relevant SD card Waveshare board pin connections, through the header socket (Waveshare board to bottom of PCB), showed a no-connect on the "PC10" pin. Re-soldered all the SD relevant header socket pins, which resolved the PC10 connectivity (so all SD Card related pins were now continuity checking Okay).

But... again only a brief success with SD Card, before it's back to "Check Disk".

Not sure what to try next? I'm thinking bad / poor quality 80 pin header sockets, making intermitent contacts?
But, to try and desolder these (to try replacing them) is no small task!

Any other ideas? Keen to get my CMM2 up and running.

ps. I have also tried 3 different SD cards (Lexar / Sandisk), no luck.
Edited 2020-06-16 12:38 by GregZone

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:23am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GregZone said  
But... No joy with the SD card. Reseating the Waveshare again gave me one good SD card session, but then just repeating red LED flashes again with "Check Disk".

Continuity testing the relevant SD card Waveshare board pin connections, through the header socket (Waveshare board to bottom of PCB), showed a no-connect on the "PC10" pin. Re-soldered all the SD relevant header socket pins, which resolved the PC10 connectivity (so all SD Card related pins were now continuity checking Okay).

But... again only a brief success with SD Card, before it's back to "Check Disk".

Not sure what to try next? I'm thinking bad / poor quality 80 pin header sockets, making intermitent contacts?
But, to try and desolder these (to try replacing them) is no small task!

Any other ideas? Keen to get my CMM2 up and running.

ps. I have also tried 3 different SD cards (Lexar / Sandisk), no luck.

There are a couple of test you can do.

Assuming you have micro SDcards with adapters,

When you insert a card, the activity light should flash briefly.
If it can't read the card, it should continue flashing every second or so as it polls the card looking for a valid card.

So, start (or reset) the CMM2 without a card present.
The activity light should be on constantly.

Inset the adapter without a card.
The activity light should flash briefly every second or so.
If that happens, the card present circuit is working.

Inset the card into the holder and the polling will stop and 'check disk' disappears.
If that doesn't happen, the problem is with one of the control/data lines rather than the card present switch.

This might help narrow down the culprit.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 04:05am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have to use :-

OPTION SD SPEED CONSERVATIVE

to get mine to read the cards reliably.
Using a 4GB micro card with an adapter. (my laptop I'm using only had a micro SD reader

BTW, I don't mind taking the lid off. Just having a go at the current rate of updates :-).

Brian
Edited 2020-06-16 14:11 by Chopperp
ChopperP

Page 20 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024