Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:26 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Introducing the Colour Maximite 2

Page 22 of 25    
GregZone

Posted: 08:46am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Sounds like you have a faulty board or that there is some sort of issue with the battery supply.

I think the SDcard issue is a symptom of a greater malaise. The underlying issue is that the unit is not storing options correctly. Options are stored in a bit of battery backed RAM in the RTC. If this isn't working then it is unlikely that the unit can be used successfully. If it was my board my next step would be to use a heat gun on the processor chip until all the solder melts and ensure that all the pin connections are good. I would then repeat on the RTC and processor crystals and caps and the SDRAM.

Just to confirm, you have removed all jumpers from the Waveshare? Where did you buy the motherboard and Waveshare? Perhaps the vendor can help

Yes, I agree that it is looking like a faulty board (not much else would seem to make sense).

The CMM2 was purchased from CircuitGizmos. It has just the plain straight expansion port header pins (not the right angle one), and has a solder link in place of the power switch.

As I noted in the first post, it didn’t power up at all when first hooked up (no VGA output or serial terminal output,  just power LEDs). Reseating the Waveshare board and updating firmware finally got it to startup / VGA output.

Initially thought it might have been header socket connection issues, but after all the above tests it is definitely looking more like a potentially faulty Waveshare board?

Not sure if CircuitGizmos are lurking around TBS, or if I need to email them separately for support?

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 10:54am 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CG does pop up occasionally, but best to email him. He has helped others.
ChopperP

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:02pm 16 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm on the other side of the planet, so I'm a bit late to this party.

Just for clarification, there is a "final test" that happens with the boards prior to wrapping them up for shipping. The test is run from the SD card so that at the very least has to be working prior to shipping.

I have had a few waveshare modules with functionality issues, so an incoming part test was made with a known good system to weed them out.

Something could have happened during shipping? That would account for the initial state of the board - the waveshare needed reseating. Perhaps in reseating a connectivity issue with a pin developed on the 176 pin micro itself. The suggestion for reflowing the whole chip could possibly fix this. Or you could target the specific pins used for the SD card. Liquid flux is essential.

Something else that is suspicious is that the battery is below 3.0v after a short time. There could be a poor connection there, or perhaps some discharge path.

-Rob
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:10am 17 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ GregZone: I have a handful of WS modules here, and I am NZ based so you could have another WS module in time for the weekend if you wanted to try a module-swap.  If you would like me to send you one, let me know(send me a PM), and then you could pull out the one you have, and swap it for the one I send you.  This would allow you to try another WS module, before you get really involved in attempting to reflow the ARM chip etc - unless you are happy to do that.  That would simply allow you to try another module, and if that works, then you KNOW the module you have has some sort of issue.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

GregZone

Posted: 12:27am 17 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  I'm on the other side of the planet, so I'm a bit late to this party.

Just for clarification, there is a "final test" that happens with the boards prior to wrapping them up for shipping. The test is run from the SD card so that at the very least has to be working prior to shipping.

I have had a few waveshare modules with functionality issues, so an incoming part test was made with a known good system to weed them out.

Something could have happened during shipping? That would account for the initial state of the board - the waveshare needed reseating. Perhaps in reseating a connectivity issue with a pin developed on the 176 pin micro itself. The suggestion for reflowing the whole chip could possibly fix this. Or you could target the specific pins used for the SD card. Liquid flux is essential.

Something else that is suspicious is that the battery is below 3.0v after a short time. There could be a poor connection there, or perhaps some discharge path.

-Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for jumping in.  Firstly, there were no issues with the shipping. The parcel was undamaged. I think you may have misunderstood the reseating of the Waveshare module.

The received board appeared to be in good condition.  The Waveshare module was not disturbed in anyway (ie. it was fully seated).
Initial inspection looked Okay, but after connecting up (VGA, Keyboard, and then USB power), all I got was the power lights.  ie. No VGA output, and No serial output (via TeraTerm).

The next thing I did was connect via STM32Cube (using UART), which verified the Waveshare was responding. I then programmed the 5.05.02 firmware, which programmed and verified successfully.  But after switching back to Flash and restarting, there was still no output.

At this point I removed the Waveshare module (to allow a full inspection of the boards). No issues were visible, so I reseated the Waveshare module.  At this point, powering up finally gave me VGA output and the initial boot screen. Yay!

Given that I’d not done nothing, other than just visibly inspect the boards, this lead me to initially assume a connectivity issue with the 80pin header sockets.

However, aside from the SD Card “Check Disk” issue, from the very beginning I noted that the OPTION USBKEYBOARD US setting was not being set / retained, when checked with a subsequent OPTION LIST.  ie. It always just showed UK setting.

After the subsequent discussion / suggestions above, we appear to have come back to the OPTION’s not being set, as the primary issue to focus on.

I don’t believe there is any RTC Backup issue, as the RTC clock is retained, the 3V battery measures fine, and we’ve also done the: Remove battery / add Vbat jumper, to reset & bypass the battery power supply.

Also, although I have the tools to reflow the SoC, I have thoroughly inspected the board under microscope, and see no indications of any solder joint flaws (or bridges) etc.  So I don’t believe it would be the prudent approach at the moment.
I have also successfully buzzed-out quite a bit of connectivity (including of course the full SD Card connectivity, from SoC pin to header to SDCard pins.

This appears to leave the options: a. Trying a replacement Waveshare module.  b. Perhaps replacing the 80 pin headers, on suspicion of some dodgy pin socket connections.

Unfortunately, without understanding the OPTION Setting failure issue better, there is some thought that the issue could be an internal SoC fail?

GregZone

Posted: 12:34am 17 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  @ GregZone: I have a handful of WS modules here, and I am NZ based so you could have another WS module in time for the weekend if you wanted to try a module-swap.  If you would like me to send you one, let me know(send me a PM), and then you could pull out the one you have, and swap it for the one I send you.  This would allow you to try another WS module, before you get really involved in attempting to reflow the ARM chip etc - unless you are happy to do that.  That would simply allow you to try another module, and if that works, then you KNOW the module you have has some sort of issue.

Thanks Grogster. Yes, as above, I'd sort of come to the conclusion of a Waveshare board swap as the next best step. But getting a new one from Waveshare will take some time. I'll PM you. :)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:44am 17 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New version available V5.05.03b1p

New OPTION

OPTION KEYBOARD REPEAT firstchar, nextchars

firstchar is the time in milliseconds before a new character repeats. Default is 600mSec, valid range 100 to 2000 mSec
nextchars is the time in milliseconds before subsequent character repeats. Default is 150mSec, valid range 25 to 2000 mSec

NB: Of course this only applies to the USB keyboard, serial consoles have their own algorithms.
NB: Installing this version will reset all options to default so things like USBKEYBOARD and RTC CALIBRATE will need re-setting

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:07am 17 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  New version available V5.05.03b1p

New OPTION

OPTION KEYBOARD REPEAT firstchar, nextchars

Perfect  
It's all too hard.
Mike.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:52am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New version available V5.05.03b1s

Fixed bug in MM.INFO(CURRENT) and MM.INFO(PATH)
Change to the "modified program" test to ensure all relevant modifications force a re-load
Implemented read after write check for the OPTION settings
Changed the test for pin 40 reset to require three positive (tied to GND) readings at 300mSec intervals
Fixed memory leak in file open command
Implemented support for reverse video on the serial console when using PRINT @(x,y,2) or PRINT @(x,y,5)

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip
Edited 2020-06-19 04:01 by matherp

cTrix

Posted: 08:50am 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello all!

Finally made the video on the CMM2.  Given current world happenings, I had some shipping delays (took 5 weeks) so I didn't get a lot of testing time to make better demos.  Massive thanks to Mauro Xavier for letting me use some of his demos too.

YouTube Link : Video introducing build and demos of CMM2

Here are a few frames:

I spent way too much time on that video while I was waiting for the parts to arrive, hence all the background story - but wanted to put it in perspective for some younger viewers who might not understand what a C64 or boot-to-BASIC box actually means.  Interestingly the one sub-20yo I've shown this to instantly got it; and actually went straight for the turtle command in a loop which did some pretty awesome stuff!  So I think the CMM2 will have broad appeal; for both young and old.  The sensor compatibility and I/O to add fun player input and physical feedback also looks like a hoot.  What a platform!
Link: YouTube Colour MaxiMite 2 Intro Video   |   ctrix.net

cTrix

Posted: 08:50am 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[posted twice - so duplicate removed!  Thanks]
Edited 2020-06-21 18:54 by cTrix

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 09:25am 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Absolutely great video, what more can one say.

Mike.
It's all too hard.
Mike.

GregZone

Posted: 10:19am 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, what a fantastic introductory video for the CMM2!  

Awesome work @cTrix.  Now... how do we get your video to go viral?  

cTrix

Posted: 11:00am 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GregZone said  Yeah, what a fantastic introductory video for the CMM2!  
Awesome work @cTrix.  Now... how do we get your video to go viral?  

Many thanks!

Viral wise, we cross our fingers. (as always)  It's a matter of inspiring those who'd be interested by such a box to get excited by it.  Those who get it can't wipe the grin off their faces (like me).  I've done a bit of groundwork in notifying some key peeps so we'll see where it goes ;-)
Edited 2020-06-21 21:02 by cTrix

darthvader

Posted: 12:27pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Finally made the video on the CMM2

Very great video here   , you do it like a pro !

Here we see all the heavy job done by Geoff and Peter.

Quote  Awesome work @cTrix.  Now... how do we get your video to go viral?

Well , just share it on every social network  

Congrats for the work done !

Cheers.

PS : I'm happy to see that my sprite editor is still in use with this version  
Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Currently :

Silicon Chip have pcbs available $10.
Silicon Chip also have full short-form kits available $140.

I am just posting the information, nothing more, nothing less  
Edited 2020-06-21 22:40 by zeitfest

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:59pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  Currently :

Bit of a delay on the kit parts. Late July/early August according to their Website

Brian
ChopperP

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:40pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Terrific video. I am of the era (Z80 alumnus), but was never a basic or games programmer or player. I am amazed, though, by the capabilities of the CMM2, and awed by those who are able to make it do its tricks.

Always hoping to see more.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:02pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  Currently :

The $140 Silicon Chip kit - that is without Waveshare?
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 21 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The $140 is in AU$ and includes the Waveshare board.
Without the Waveshare their kit is AU$80 (about US$55).
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/20/5478
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Page 22 of 25    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024