Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:28 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Sourcing 24V Motor

Page 1 of 2    
ryanm

Posted: 11:34am 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Everyone,

I have a hillbilly (sorry, grazier) friend who wants me to sort the electrics for a diy drum seeder for a plow. I'm looking for a 24V ~750w motor and none of my usual online suppliers carry that sort of thing. Looked at Element14, L&H etc and can't find anything even close to suitable.

Wondering if anyone knows where I could source a unit at reasonable prices without going for the mystery dip on eBay or Aliexpress?
Edited 2020-05-03 21:40 by ryanm

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:17pm 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You get a choice, 1,700 or 3,000 rpm.
I have no idea how reasonable the price will be though.

http://www.alltorquetransmissions.com/front-page/product-page/abb-baldor/baldor-dc/general-purpose/12v-24v/[/URL
Cheers,  Tony.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I stuffed up the link and cannot edit it for some reason.
Try this:

http://www.alltorquetransmissions.com/front-page/product-page/abb-baldor/baldor-dc/general-purpose/12v-24v/
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have got stuff from motion dynamics before, they don't seem to have a 750w 24v though.
This is their biggest 24v

Plenty of other sellers that have scooter motors.

750w is pretty big, I got one of these for a project, damn hell that thing has some grunt.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a bit (ghetto engineering) but you could always couple up two smaller motors to run together. That may offer a lower cost solution.

The plan probably includes using pulleys or a chain anyway, so two motors should not present too much of a complication.
Cheers,  Tony.

ryanm

Posted: 11:58pm 03 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Commercial unit I googled has a 1 HP motor on it so I figured that would be a solid choice. It's got to spin 3 x 44 gallon drums full of seed. Not all of which is light and fluffy like buffle.

Commercial unit also cost $13k. I recon I can rig up 3 drums and a motor with a fair bit of change left over.

Motion dynamics looks pretty good. Even if the motors blow every now and then they're cheap enough to keep a spare around.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:45am 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With that sort of power the motors tend to also go to higher voltages.
There are a few options though.

A 48V 750W Motor:

24V 750W

At $485, not exactly what I would call Cheap.

Suggestion 1.

2x 500W 24V motors. These already have a sprocket and the chains and other sprockets are easy to get for electric Bikes etc.  Couple them up and you would have plenty of power.

24V 500W

Much more palatable at $148 for the 2.
I would be rigging up one to start and see how you go. If you gear the thing down so the load on the motor is reduced 500W may well be enough. If not and you are chain driving, very easy to add the 2nd Motor.

Suggestion 2.

Used motor :

24V 900W

$250 and a single unit.
Says it's off an electric Lawn mower. I had one of these once and it was a ball tearer.  Had it on a Small block chev Pump I made for pumping Veg oil. Worked great till someone I lent it to dropped it and smashed the magnet inside.

Suggestion 3

48V Motors. If you could up the voltage you would get the power you want much cheaper.

48V 750W

When you get up to 60V you can get 2 KW motors at reasonable cost.

Suggestion 4.

What about a conventional 240V Motor running off a 24V Sine wave Inverter?  
If your friend has a motor already suitable that will save you and even 2 Kw Inverters are not that exy now and may come in handy for powering other things as well.

There are a lot of motors on ebay. I'd like to find a high speed type around 18V to make an electric wheeled weed wacker for my father. They do  cordless versions but not with the wheels he needs for his back. A lot of the electrics are no lighter than the petrol versions and many are a lot heavier.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 04:55am 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Three 44 gallon drums full of seed sounds more like three motors to me.

That has quite a few advantages including redundancy if one motor craps out in the field during planting its not then a total disaster.

Also think about where you are going to get a direct replacement motor in five or ten years time...
Probably best to stick with a reputable name brand motor, even if it costs more initially.
Cheers,  Tony.

ryanm

Posted: 06:28am 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Liking the look of the industrial worm gear motors from Motion Dynamics. Looking around their site I get the impression they know what they're talking about. I'll try for something with a standard mount I can replace easily later, but if not then it's not that hard to fabricate an adapter bracket, chains and sprockets come in standardized sizes.

Power is stuck at 24V because of the D6 pulling it.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 06:54am 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BTW with the 350w one here that I got, I ran it with this , the speed control was really good.
It's just hanging around ATM if you are close to Melb you can borrow it to play around with and see what it's capable of. Dunno where the sprocket went, I fitted a bar to it to operate a big set of bellows.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

ryanm

Posted: 10:41am 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the offer Mark, but I don't like my chances of getting back into QLD at the moment.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:04pm 04 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about a Fisher and Paykel type

Or  treadmill or wheelchair Motor

the wheelchair ones have a gear reduction built into them

I have all of them here including one like marks talking about it is on one of those small Electric motorcycle

I don't know how much shipping would be
But that is all it would cost you

If you would like me to unload a pic
let me know
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 06:11am 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ryanm, would the Alternator on the D6 have enough power to run those motors?
There are a lot of large tractors and seeders here but have not seen a seeder with rotating drums.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

nzfarmer

Posted: 06:58am 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wheelchair motors will work but are more like 250w or less

Treadmill motors are DC and will run at 24v but most prefer higher voltages.

24v Forklift motors are very high amps if you can get  hold of one

I have a source of 375watt 12v 1750RPM motors that should do ok if you double the voltage - just check the heat output.  I can test for you if you want - they're $100 each, and come with an optional 30:1 reduction box.

Best solution probably a treadmill motor - use a boost converter to double up the voltage, and PWM controller to reduce the current/speed.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:25am 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A lot of things like 24v truck and bus starter motors, winch motors, and fork lift motors probably all  have the necessary grunt, but are not continuously rated and may melt down fairly quickly.

Some of the really light duty stuff such a wheelchair motors, treadmill motors, fan motors and such, are designed for protected indoor use, and would not be entirely happy working for very long in pouring rain, or a wet muddy environment.

A proper heavy duty continuously rated industrial servo or traction motor made to work in mines or an agricultural or even a military environment, is going to be an expensive motor.

I don't think trying to do this on the cheap is going to be a good long term solution.
Cheers,  Tony.

ryanm

Posted: 11:15am 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  I don't think trying to do this on the cheap is going to be a good long term solution.

I agree, that's why I started the thread, didn't want to get some random motor off eBay.

Motion Dynamics has a 600W industrial unit that looks good to me when set up with a wormdrive down to around 10RPM. Probably a thousand dollars with controller, heavy duty wiring, E stop etc. Monster weighs 16kg. I think that would be under very little load turning the drums, but better to have a big motor idling than a little one flogging it's guts out. The dozer probably cost at least quarter of a mil, so a thousand dollars is pretty well bought.

Before we go spending money I think it would be wise to track down a neighbour and take a few snaps of a setup that has been working well for a few years. They're not uncommon in Queensland. Will be attached to a cutter bar which is tearing up the ground as well so I think a bit of thought into a vibration isolated mount wouldn't go astray.

BenandAmber
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the greats think things through before thay speak

People like me try to Stir It Up and get things moving

People like them straighten things out and keeps them moving in the right direction

My life was full of opportunitie and success because I humbled myself and listened to the greats

Problem is most are blinded and cant see through their arrogance

So we fall off the cliff over and over
again

While the wise watch and wait hopeing
the next fall will humble us enough just slow down and listen

Our people die because of the lack of wisdom!

This saving wisdom is around but we give it no value never take time to shut our mouths sit down and listen

I am sorry I went of topic

I just fill this is the key

So simple find this key and it opens the door to everything!!!

Have a blessed day
be warned i am good parrot but Dumber than a box of rocks

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 10:09pm 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ryanm said  ..........
I think a bit of thought into a vibration isolated mount wouldn't go astray.

Something like this perhaps?
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 11:28pm 05 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ryanm said  
Before we go spending money I think it would be wise to track down a neighbour and take a few snaps of a setup that has been working well for a few years. They're not uncommon in Queensland. Will be attached to a cutter bar which is tearing up the ground as well so I think a bit of thought into a vibration isolated mount wouldn't go astray.

Yup absolutely.

When designing anything from scratch yourself, a good first step is always to take a very long look at what other manufacturers are doing, and learn about what is good and what any problems may have been.  
Then try to do it better, shamelessly stealing all their good ideas and experience.
This goes on all the time in industry at all levels.

Even to the extent of using the exact motor and gearbox (purchased as a spare part) from an existing successful commercial seeding machine.
Cheers,  Tony.

renewableMark

Guru

Posted: 06:29am 18 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any progress?
I love a good farm build, I used to run sheep and needed to make/ fix crap all the time.
Cheers Caveman Mark
Off grid eastern Melb

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024