Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:01 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Twisty little passages

Page 2 of 2    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tom,

As you may notice from another thread, I got a CSub I wrote myself to work without any drama beyond newbie-trouble.

A feature for the future, potentially.

John

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:11pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  As you may notice from another thread, I got a CSub I wrote myself to work without any drama beyond newbie-trouble.

That's good news because the BASIC seems strangely resistant to optimising (i.e. I am probably optimising the wrong thing) and I struggled to get a 10% improvement by a naive binary chop in the instruction execution code.

Peter's longstring "memory" implementation works and it allows me to load the story files really quickly, but subsequent byte reads and writes are marginally slower than the big array of floats alternative. Unfortunately I can't use MMBasic's 16-bit SHORT peek/poke because the endian-ness is different.

Switching all the variables from float to integer produced a 5% performance boost so perhaps that combined with the longstring memory will be the way forward.

Anyway I've decided to park this optimisation for now and concentrate on the last few bits of functionality.

Thanks, Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:26pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tom,

I've been following this with some interest. Could you please point me to where one can download the Z-Machine specs from. Also where do you get the Mini Zork and perhaps other compatible files from?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Tom,

I've been following this with some interest. Could you please point me to where one can download the Z-Machine specs from. Also where do you get the Mini Zork and perhaps other compatible files from?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Have I got competition?

The standard is here:

https://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/standards/

You can find minizork.z3 linked from here:

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?history&id=1rea34vqnz3mtyq1

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is here:

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.z3

I feel safe in providing links to those as the former was always free and the latter is available from the official Douglas Adams website.

I believe all the other Infocom games have now been released into the public domain (or at least their source code officially uploaded to GitHub) so you should be able to find them by googling around. Plus there are plenty of free games from the IF community.

Regards,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  Tom,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Have I got competition?

The standard is here:

https://www.inform-fiction.org/zmachine/standards/

You can find minizork.z3 linked from here:

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?history&id=1rea34vqnz3mtyq1

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is here:

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.z3

I feel safe in providing links to those as the former was always free and the latter is available from the official Douglas Adams website.

I believe all the other Infocom games have now been released into the public domain (or at least their source code officially uploaded to GitHub) so you should be able to find them by googling around. Plus there are plenty of free games from the IF community.

Regards,

Tom
Edited 2020-06-06 09:46 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  I believe all the other Infocom games have now been released into the public domain (or at least their source code officially uploaded to GitHub) so you should be able to find them by googling around.

Correction. They are not in the public domain. Activision still owns the rights but so far (it has been a year) they don't seem to have issued a take down notice.

Tom

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 11:55pm 05 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Competition? No way Jose! I just want to know a little more about what's happening and to have a play when you do release it. Cheers.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:33pm 11 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Barring catastrophe, public Beta coming this weekend:

Alas not with all those stories pre-installed.

Tom
Edited 2020-06-12 02:56 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:02pm 11 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... and then this happened.

Please post any comments on the new thread and let this one have a graceful death.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024