Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:36 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 5.05.06 beta

Page 2 of 12    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:07am 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please find attached V5.05.06b3

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip

Fixed bug when you use page down in the filemanager on a less than full screen
Fixed bug using TAB at the command line
Fixed bug in memory page allocation for modes 7,12, 7,16, 8,8

New functionality

Enables OPTION TAB 3

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 11:27am 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

do you think it would be possible to add the "DEL" key to the manual (Appendix F)?
Key code: 127, 0x7F.

Best regards
Michael

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:43am 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  do you think it would be possible to add the "DEL" key to the manual (Appendix F)?

Will do

NB: the first post has a typo PrintScreen is &H9D and Break is &H9E. I'll put these into the manual as well
Edited 2020-09-07 21:45 by matherp

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 12:30pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just upgraded to the latest beta.

The flashing process was straightforward (pre assembled CMM2) - about the only "issue" is that the flashing software requires JAVA runtime -- and many schools have JAVA disabled (but that's another issue).

The actual process was smooth and simple - so much so that I will be able to get techy savvy teachers to do it.  Thank you for a clearly written manual.

As an aside -- it's a shame that the .bin can't be dropped onto the SD card and flashed from there  -- but again, that's not a CMM2 comment.

The inclusion of: OPTION ANGLE mode   is a real boon to education circles as I can now use this for KS1/2 (up to 11yo) without explaining radians.

@matherp  -- a heartfelt thankyou, personally and on behalf of the community.

Diolch.
Nim
Edited 2020-09-07 22:31 by Nimue
Entropy is not what it used to be

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 02:04pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can we still "suggest" features....... you knew you'd regret it.

My students are finding it extremely difficult to visualise 0,0 being the top left of the screen.  For them, 0,0 is the bottom left and the cordinate system behaves like a piece of graph paper.

Would it be possible to sneak another OPTION ORIGIN TL or BL (for Top Left  / Bottom Left).

That way, they can just convert from paper diagrams without any more math...

I can program in the aspect ration to get true squares and circles -- they get that as the screen is 800,600 so the pixels aren't square --> just the origin is totally flummoxing them.

Nim
Edited 2020-09-08 00:05 by Nimue

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:12pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No - massive change. Pixels will be square if the monitor is set to display 4:3 image properly
Edited 2020-09-08 00:13 by matherp

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  No - massive change. Pixels will be square if the monitor is set to display 4:3 image properly

OMG!!! I'm an idiot..

We've been viewing the CMM2 via a windowed HDMI capture card on Windows.

Viewed full screen and the (as you said) the 4:3 ratio works out square.

Sometimes the obvious needs pointing out.  

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:23pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe just write a small function which translates the y to be the way students expect.

(It's trivial isn't it...)

John

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 06:45pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Maybe just write a small function which translates the y to be the way students expect.

(It's trivial isn't it...)

John

Will do -- or in the best tradition of teachers everywhere -- this is now an exercise to the class to write a function to do exactly that.

Cheers for the input on this and mucho kudos for all the work.

Nim

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:59pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since it is for education I've found a way to reverse the coordinates

OPTION Y_AXIS UP
OPTION Y_AXIS DOWN - default

This command can only be used in a program and will revert on exit

It is tested with Basic graphics and text and simple BLIT but probably won't work with sprites without more work and other areas may also have bugs

Give it a go and let me know

Please find attached V5.05.06b4

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 11:47pm 07 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For kicks and giggles, I stuck "OPTION Y_AXIS UP" at the start of a few existing programs. Simple things seemed fine.

Obvious things like peeking the frame buffer don't work without recalculating the location. Blit requires that the source image be flipped vertically.

In mode 1  (800x600)
"blit 0,0,0,0,800,599,1,2" works as expected
"blit 0,0,0,0,800,600,1,2" locks the CMM2 and requires a reset
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 04:35am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Someone noticed an issue with Gauntlet, and I found there seems to be a bug in the firmware that ends the program without displaying an error, if OPTION RAM is set (in 5.05.05).
Can someone check if it's a problem in the latest beta?

Test case at the end.

Sasquatch said  Great Work Mauro

The latest version does not seem to work with OPTION RAM enabled.  I'm not sure exactly, but it seems to have something to do with accessing the higher numbered graphics pages in Mode 7,16 and Mode 7,8.  No worries though it works great in flash memory.  I am using the recent V5.05.05 release version of MMBasic.

Your quest for performance has gone almost too far now.  The action seems really fast!  Is there a simple way to slow the action down just a little for us older players?

Oh, and the Wii Classic Controller works fine, I haven't tried 2 player mode yet.

Update:  Ok well the Elf seems really fast and Thor seems a bit too slow.  The others are harder to judge somewhere in between?  I think the relative speeds are intentional?  Perhaps for us older folks it might be best to use the Wizard!

2 player mode seems to work as well as I can test by myself.  Now I just need to get the wife to play    Not going to hold my breath

First on the command line

OPTION RAM

then the program

print
print "about to test, press enter to start"
input asd$

Mode 7,16
page write 8
cls

'it doesn't reach here.

page write 0
print "finished test"
input asd$

end

flip

Posted: 06:45am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff, Peter,
Doco issue:
On Page 74 of doco, the table shows 12-bit as being pixel format ARGB4444 when perhaps it should read ARGB4332

(EDIT: unless perhaps it is that format, but zero-MSbits filled ?)
something like a bitmap like: AAAA 0RRR 0GGG 00BB
(perhaps a note in the manual if this is the case)
Regards Phil.
Edited 2020-09-08 16:52 by flip

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:03am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Doco issue:

More research before posting perhaps?

Quote   I found there seems to be a bug in the firmware that ends the program without displaying an error, if OPTION RAM is set (in 5.05.05).

This should be fixed in V5.05.06b3 or above. It is the issue Panky found with the memory allocation of pages from modes that need 384Kbytes per page

I'm offline for the next fews days.
Nimue: please give the new OPTION Y_AXIS a go and find the missing bits. PRINT definitely won't work but TEXT should, Images won't work and sprites won't - there may be other issues. I did say it was a big change!
Edited 2020-09-08 17:11 by matherp

flip

Posted: 07:10am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe, just thought a bitmap might be handy to make it crystal clear how the 12-bits is spread out into 2 bytes.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:14am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Maybe, just thought a bitmap might be handy to make it crystal clear how the 12-bits is spread out into 2 bytes.

4 bits for red, 4 bits for green, 4 bits for blue, 4 bits for transparency = ARGB4444.
Pretty simple to understand - yes?

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 07:33am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Since it is for education I've found a way to reverse the coordinates

OPTION Y_AXIS UP

It is tested with Basic graphics and text and simple BLIT but probably won't work with sprites without more work and other areas may also have bugs

Will give this a go today - have a class later, so can test it "live" so to speak.

@matherp --> blown away!!

Nim

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:39am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Will give this a go today - have a class later, so can test it "live" so to speak.

Great, please use the firmware I just downloaded (9:38BST) - still b4

chris

Posted: 11:20am 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know this is a long-shot, but would it be possible to enable an option for (in the editor) CONTROL + S to be save, and not select?

Just want to make sure I state that this is not a complaint, I'm just very very stuck in my ways and a small change like this would be icing on the cake.

Pressing CONTROL + R to run would also be a nice option too.

Also - not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but if I hold shift and use the cursor keys I can mark text, which is wonderful, but if I page up and page down whilst in this select mode (still holding shift), then the selection is lost.

If you could maintain the selection whilst paging with page up and page down then it would speed up my personal workflow.

Needless to say, these are ultra low priority and your work is super appreciated.

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 02:26pm 08 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Since it is for education I've found a way to reverse the coordinates

OPTION Y_AXIS UP

Just tested this on a group of 11yos -- they found it much more intuitive and a direct follow on from their graph work -- this allowed be to get them to use the CMM2 to "plot" data.

We tested the basic drawing functions; LINE, BOX, CIRCLE and ARC (the only thing with ARC is that the orientation is now the other way round -- but that's not a problem to get their heads around).

Thank you for this tweak -- this and the OPTION ANGLE have made the CMM2 even more suitable as an in class tool.

Cheers
Nim

Page 2 of 12    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024