Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:07 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 Terminal Software

Page 5 of 5    
Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:16am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the CRC is incorrect the receiver should send a NAK (hex 15) and the transmitter should re-send the block. You could check for a NAK from the receiver.

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

frnno967

Posted: 01:22am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, but I'm worried that 1. the firmware Xmodem routines may be more efficient than a BASIC software routine which will stress the CPU more, 2. the small block size and relative inefficiency of Xmodem may also allow time for the CMM2 to "catch up" and not truly stress the system.

I appreciate the suggestion though, and it's easy enough to test. What I really want to do is test it using 115200+ speeds running an Zmodem 1K transfer driven by BASIC routines. But all of this is speculation, and I probably don't have the skills to code such a test anyway.
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 01:34am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is an Xmodem CRC and a Modbus CRC in fruit of the shed. You could send a very long text file using a BASIC routine with one of those appended and check the result?

Bill

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:31am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since (we think) the real issue is how fast can the CMM2 send through a particular throttled device, how about this for the RS232 WIFI device (making sure the program is checking for the RTS/CTS polarity which the device uses, and the pins are defined/wired correctly):

option explicit
Const CTS = 13 ' set CTS and RTS as appropriate
Const RTS = 15
'setpin CTS, din,pullup
setpin CTS, din
setpin RTS, dout
dim integer i,tm
dim string ch
open "COM2: 1000000" as #2
timer=0
pin(RTS)=1                  ' not sure which polarity is desired
for i=0 to 99999
 ch=chr$((i mod 94)+32)
 do while LOF(#2)<>256: loop ' wait until buffer is empty
 do while pin(CTS) = 0: loop ' not sure which polarity is desired
 print #2,ch;
next i
do while lof(#2)<>256: loop
tm=timer
print ""
print "From COM2: 100,000 bytes ";tm;" milliseconds to send"

If the line, "setpin CTS, din,pullup" is uncommented and the following line commented, the program runs in 3605 milliseconds.

I'm not sure what you will need to do at the telnet end to save the file, but you could check (using MMBasic DOS) that each byte in the file is one greater than the previous except when the byte = " ".

(Note: I think JimDrew said the device was capable of 1000000 baud, but I thought I read that it is 115200--if it's 115200, the baud rate for the serial port will have to be set for that in the program.)

~
Edited 2020-10-16 12:33 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:11am 16 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Re XMODEM, I'm not sure it addresses your specific requirements with regard to rs232 testing (especially with RTS/CTS), but have you seen this?
  matherp said  Try the attached. You need to append 1 or 2 to the xmodem command and the serial port needs to be opened first.

open "com1:9600" as #1 'pick comport and baudrate as required
XMODEM S "myfile.txt",1
XMODEM R "newfile.txt",1

. . .
XMODEM receive and send now both support using COM1 or COM2 as well as the console (default)
. . .

When sending to a device mandating CTS be obeyed (chars being lost if not), you'd expect the XMODEM S to fail or require many retries.

However, the other posts in this thread about how to handle CTS should work.  The code for XMODEM is widely available so just needs converting to MMBasic syntax (and CTS/RTS etc handled as already noted).

John

JimDrew

Posted: 02:38am 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  According to the manual, the transmit buffer is fixed at 256 bytes. If CTS is to be implemented in software, this buffer is unusable. (CTS means 'clear to send'. The receiver asserts CTS when it is ready for data. Baudrate or amount of data has nothing to do with it.) If the transmit buffer were filled with, say, two bytes, software reading a CTS line would be unable to prevent the second byte from being transmitted if the receiver wasn't ready, thus loosing this second byte.

This is precisely the problem.  Your transmit buffer would have to be 1 character in size and your CMM2 BASIC code routine would have to monitor single byte sends and control CTS directly. This not only kills the through-put of data (due to the overhead of having to do this), but it also kills the performance of your BASIC program which now has to poll the CTS state during transmission phases, holding off the entire program execution.

JimDrew

Posted: 02:41am 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Turbo46 said  
  JimDrew said  it's cases where chunks of data are sent/received is where flow control is required. File transfers are an easy way to see this.

This implies that downloading large programs to the CMM2 using Xmodem at 115200 baud with no flow control should not work? But it does. Please explain.

Bill

115200 might work fine for downloading, but again I am talking about sending data from the CMM2 *TO* a real RS-232 device, *not* a CMM2 to CMM2 or some other non-RS-232 device.  That is what people seem to be missing here.  You have to adhere to the specs of an RS-232 device, which *requires* flow control to prevent overruns of data being sent to it.  If the other direction works, that's great... but even then you have to set the RTS line to the correct state or the RS-232 device will not send *any* data.

Again, the conversation I am having here involves RS-232 devices, nothing else!
Edited 2020-10-22 12:49 by JimDrew

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:29am 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JimDrew said  Your transmit buffer would have to be 1 character in size and your CMM2 BASIC code routine would have to monitor single byte sends and control CTS directly. This not only kills the through-put of data (due to the overhead of having to do this), but it also kills the performance of your BASIC program which now has to poll the CTS state during transmission phases, holding off the entire program execution.

Rubbish.

Yes, 1 byte for transmit, but you could do the sending all under interrupt so very low overhead.

No need at all to be "holding off the entire program execution".

John

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 06:42am 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must have worked with a lot of unreal RS232 devices - SCADA, protection relays, powerline carrier, reclosers, radio... various protocols.

Maybe I should just pull my head in and give up.

Bill

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've done much the same and so far JimDrew won't budge but for no good reason.

I see no actual or even difficult problem at all.

John

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 22 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JimDrew said   . . . also kills the performance of your BASIC program which now has to poll the CTS state during transmission phases, holding off the entire program execution.

No actual evidence of this happening shown so far, but if it proves to be the case, use an interrupt (as JohnS suggests).

JimDrew said  I am talking about sending data from the CMM2 *TO* a real RS-232 device, *not* a CMM2 to CMM2 or some other non-RS-232 device

Asked and answered.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Page 5 of 5    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024