Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:46 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Not a Maximite but...

Page 1 of 2    
elk1984

Posted: 06:20pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is incredibly well done for a custom case....
Raspberry Pi 400

With some very drool inspiring alternate renders
Edited 2020-11-03 04:42 by elk1984

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 06:51pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  This is incredibly well done for a custom case....
Raspberry Pi 400

I was just about to post this...
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:36pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All it needs is MMBasic.  :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 09:07pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a complete system with a custom-built MB PI4, not a custom case, and as another thread has pointed out The PIcromite(is that what it's called???) is no longer being developed and it is getting almost impossible to run it except on old builds of PIOS(Rasbian).

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 09:21pm 02 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It will handily run this .... ( 3 B+ does anyways )
  Mixtel90 said  All it needs is MMBasic.  :)

my site

ChrisJournoud

Posted: 07:14am 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  It is a complete system with a custom-built MB PI4, not a custom case, and as another thread has pointed out The PIcromite(is that what it's called???) is no longer being developed and it is getting almost impossible to run it except on old builds of PIOS(Rasbian).

Yes. It is why it needs Mmbasic bare metal  

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:53am 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Definitely, Chris.  
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  This is incredibly well done for a custom case....
Raspberry Pi 400

With some very drool inspiring alternate renders

Especially the renders....

ME LIKE !!
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ChrisJournoud said  
  mclout999 said  It is a complete system with a custom-built MB PI4, not a custom case, and as another thread has pointed out The PIcromite(is that what it's called???) is no longer being developed and it is getting almost impossible to run it except on old builds of PIOS(Rasbian).

Yes. It is why it needs Mmbasic bare metal  
Yes it would be nice but as I said is not being developed anymore and unless you can persuade them to start updating it again that is not a long term option. I am not even sure the PI4 can run any of the versions well out in the wild.  This is after all a custom PI4 system.  Has anyone gotten a good install of it on a PI4?  The last thread on this subject had a fellow not even being able to find a version that was fully functional and I sent him every version I had.  I wonder if he ever had any success. I love the 400 and will get one the moment I can and I would like to have an SD card all set up with PICROMITE.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 04:14pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the advantage of MMBasic .....

Over this ?....

Or this ?....
my site

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:32pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware2 said  What is the advantage of MMBasic .....

Over this ?....

Or this ?....

I didn't dig too deeply into the links, but for one it would be interfacing and controlling hardware that is a big advantage.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

led-bloon

Posted: 09:09pm 03 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a look at gambas for a full blown basic with GUI & GPIO.
Excellent IDE written in gambas. Raspberry Pi 4B and Rpi 400 - no worries.
Example for GPIO (not tried it yet)
Gambas Basic
led
Miss you George

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:04am 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hitsware2 said  What is the advantage of MMBasic .....

Over this ?....

Or this ?....

About the programming language, probably is a question of what you want or what you need.

- Do you want a full OS behind you as a normal PC, and want to make calls for this OS and enjoy the GUI? Ok, then these BASIC "flavors" are for you.

- Do you want a system with an instantaneous boot presenting to you immediately a BASIC language to start to work on it, without any preemptive OS competing with your tasks? Ok, then MMBASIC in a CMM2 or other compatible microcontroller can be what you need.

All these BASIC implementations have your reasons to exist, it's only a question of what you want to do or what type of experience you want to have, nothing more.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A CMM2 in a nice keyboard case would be ideal, in my estimation, but it works out much more expensive to implement and still requires a VGA monitor rather than HDMI. Luckily most TVs seem to be still supporting a VGA input, but that won't last now that most computers and games don't use it.

I've always been doubtful about the aim of the Pi to teach "coding" to kids. IMHO any OS gets in the way and the 70's home home computer was actually far better for this purpose. The Micromite series are pretty much ideal, keeping straightforward programming and hardware interfacing.

A "hard iron" implementation of MMBasic on the RPi series might not be possible simply because Broadcom are so protective of their chips and their capabilities. That's a pity because the current OSs mess up the timing of applications running on them (although there may be ways round that). That means that any version of MMBasic for the Pi would have to be reliant on the OS - and stick rigidly to the API to maintain compatibility with future versions of it. I can well understand why MMBasic developers wouldn't want to follow this path. It involves getting into another field of support.

Another alternative BASIC for the Pi is RTB - it's rather good if you like things to be slightly quirky. :)
Mick

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:58pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  A "hard iron" implementation of MMBasic on the RPi series might not be possible simply because Broadcom are so protective of their chips and their capabilities.

[RANT=on]

this is something that is repeated on this forum again and again, causing me quite some upset because it is COMPLETELY FALSE.

broadcom provides a 'binary blob' that is used with the raspberry pi to enable communications with the processor hardware. this particular blob is customized to the price that the raspberry pi foundation PAYS FOR THE CHIPS. you, the consumer, in turn pays the raspberry pi foundation for those chips when you buy a raspberry pi computer.

the binary blob exposes access to a limited set of hardware features. other features are not exposed - BECAUSE NO ONE HAS PAID FOR THEM. broadcom produces one design of chip in a given family that sells for a number of VERY DIFFERENT prices depending on what features are enabled. the same happens when you buy an intel processor, most modern digital oscilloscopes, or a tesla electric automobile.

ANYONE CAN USE THE BINARY BLOB, the interface to it is WELL DOCUMENTED through the source code of the linux drivers that talk to it. all you need to do is LOOK AT THE LINUX SOURCE CODE.

given a suitable level of effort consummate to the task, anyone can:

1. strip down the existing RPi linux to the point that the operating system essentially does not get in the way of real-time operation. the whole GUI can be removed, features like networking, most of the USB stack, and whatever else that a CMM2 does not itself have can go. you will be left with an HDMI video output showing a text-mode display drawn on a graphical frame buffer, and a single USB port that can talk to just a keyboard. from here you can then build up whatever you want.

2. or even go so far as to throw out RPi linux completely, and develop something else that talks to the binary blob directly. it might not be easy, but it is certainly NOT impossible.

none of this will be EASY, but that is not broadcom's fault. the excuses of 'licensing restrictions' on the binary blob are fallacious. the claims of no documentation being available are fallacious - the linux source code is OPEN SOURCE! what IS true is that building a software product such as mmbasic to run reliably on the RPi is hard work that YOU, the developer, will have to put in. there are no 'shortcuts'.

please, everyone, stop complaining that life is too hard, and that this is someone else's fault. if you want the software, build it!

[RANT=off]

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2020-11-04 22:59 by robert.rozee

ChrisJournoud

Posted: 01:23pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  
this is something that is repeated on this forum again and again, causing me quite some upset because it is COMPLETELY FALSE.

I think you are right. As i know by riding the WWW, there is ISHIGOJAM BASIC ( https://ichigojam.github.io/RPi/ ), a bare metal C64 emulator ( https://accentual.com/bmc64/ ), a bare metal NES emulator ( https://github.com/Bztvuy/Frankenstein ), a bare metal CP/M emulator (http://duinorasp.hansotten.com/cpm-on-the-pi-ultibo-baremetal-app/ ), and much others.

Of course, like i said elsewhere, i have not the knowledge nor skills to work on those kinds of projects but it does not prevent me to think of some doable things to arrive.

By the way, i am still waiting with patience for my CMM2 to arrive in France from maximite.org  

IanT

Posted: 01:24pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  
  Mixtel90 said  A "hard iron" implementation of MMBasic on the RPi series might not be possible simply because Broadcom are so protective of their chips and their capabilities.

the binary blob exposes access to a limited set of hardware features. other features are not exposed - BECAUSE NO ONE HAS PAID FOR THEM. broadcom produces one design of chip in a given family that sells for a number of VERY DIFFERENT prices depending on what features are enabled. the same happens when you buy an intel processor, most modern digital oscilloscopes, or a tesla electric automobile.

rob   :-)

I had to smile at this Rob, because it is nothing new. It was "rumoured" that a certain company used to sell a mini-computer (remember them?) family that had a range of CPU speeds - there being thousands of dollars difference in the price, dependent upon model. However, one or two customers discovered that the only physical difference was a jumper setting on the CPU's clock board.

Strangely, a bottle of whiskey (slipped discretely to their Service Engineer) often resulted in considerable performance improvements on some customer sites!

Stay safe everyone..

IanT

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:43pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is no such thing as a true "bare-metal" implementation on the Raspberry Pi. The raspberry Pi H/W cannot run without a SD card with has specific files on it (start.elf, bootcode.bin) that configure the GPU. Only when the GPU has booted is control passed to the main processor

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:28pm 04 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good rant, rob, but who implied this was easy? :)

Good point too, Peter, the GPU has to start everything up.

Apparently, the way to do it is to put your own correctly named binary file onto the SD card and the GPU will run it automatically on boot. You can make calls to the GPU to do things like initialising a graphics frame buffer.
Raspberry Pi ARM based bare metal examples
Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:37am 05 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  There is no such thing as a true "bare-metal" implementation on the Raspberry Pi. The raspberry Pi H/W cannot run without a SD card with has specific files on it (start.elf, bootcode.bin) that configure the GPU. Only when the GPU has booted is control passed to the main processor

That's an interesting way to do it.  I would have expected it the other way around.
IE: The main processor boots, and it then configures the GPU.  But then, I know nothing about programming the PI, I just use pre-built images.

On the Rob rant, yes, that is exactly the case with things like OpenELEC media-player for the PI(which is my main media-player).  It is NOT running Raspbian Linux underneath, it is running its own dedicated OS(which is still Linux, but just not Raspbian), that just interfaces with the binary-blob on the PI.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024