Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:59 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Solar : 48volt flat packs

Page 2 of 5    
Revlac

Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 25 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have had plenty of FLA batteries over the years, would have been a few 1000Ah in 48v Telecom battery banks, want to get away from those things now, quite often a cell would drop out over time, keep them charged, add water etc.

With a properly managed lithium setup (still more improvements to be done in future) should be maintenance free, setup and forget.

A friend of mine (in his late 80's)wanted me to setup a large number of these 18650 cells and build it like mine, I said NO, I knew there was no way he could look after it, (end in smoke and tears) he would need something that would take care of it self.

Also, I can't imagine the next generation would even know what to do with FLA....except maybe burn fingers with the acid.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

nickskethisniks
Guru

Posted: 01:27pm 25 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The main reason for me would be state of charge, I don't need to charge my lithium to 100%. With lead acid you should do that quite often to balance and maximize the life. If you have enough solar power then that's not an issue. For me it is, I don't want to put on the generator to much.

I like the voltage curve of my lithium battery it's very flat, but also it sucks up every power it gets. In theory for example a 100Ah battery can be charged with 100A. With lead acid that's not the case.

Very low internal resistance, it will take the current untill almost charged.

The efficiency ah in/out is a lot higher with lithium, yeah you can add panels... but not me.

Disadvantages is more complex balancing, but not for me with a electronic hobby.

Price of course...

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:40pm 25 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Revlac said  
With a properly managed lithium setup (still more improvements to be done in future) should be maintenance free, setup and forget.

That is what I had hoped for.
However, several sudden catastrophic cell failures have made Lithium less attractive.
That is about $150.00 per year worth of dead cells, which would buy a lot of grid power.

Even if there were zero capacity degradation over time, battery storage looks like a financial loser.
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 02:16am 26 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it's a matter of horses for courses and what suits each persons prefrances and skill set.

I can see the charge rate and partial capacity holding of the Lipos being an advantage to some. Good to get some different insights into things and a better understanding of the  pros and cons.

Quote  However, several sudden catastrophic cell failures have made Lithium less attractive.
That is about $150.00 per year worth of dead cells, which would buy a lot of grid power.

I guess the question will be if that were just some Dud cells as a one off or the rest of your pack will continue to degrade at the same rate which would be most unfortunate.

My only experience with Lipos is built into other devices. I have never had any of them last what I would say was a reasonable expectation for home battery storage. Most of what I have had in various equipment, some well used, some lightly used is a noticeable degradation in 3 years and pretty much finished by 5 years.  My much loved and well travelled Tablet is falling into that very category now. Almost 4 years old and having charging problems and the thing has been well mollycoddled.  Daughter took it into electronics shop she works at to have someone look at it and verdict was just the way they go, get a new one. I don't want a new one, I like the one I have and the places it's been with me.  

I don't know what other peoples expectations are but I would be wanting something to last 10 years with still 80% Min capacity. Anything that's finished useable life in 5 years or less does not fit my requirements regardless of any other features.
If the things were at throw away prices, might be different but nothing is at that level at this time.  

Quote  Even if there were zero capacity degradation over time, battery storage looks like a financial loser.

In a previous question I was trying to ascertain if you had got into batteries as a money saver or for other reasons. I have never seen where they can be profitable except in advertising where the numbers are highly suspect if not demonstrable lies.
There is always the exception to the rule and a knowledgeable person like yourself would be the one to find and make the most of it.

From what I see, Batteries have to be way below the price they are to be worth while. If some are in a position to get them for next to nothing, that's great.  I have done it with panels, others may work with or have a source they get get them from new or used that makes them Viable. It's not wether they work or not, just the price one can obtain them for that's the make or break.

I sat down and had coffee with a Mate this morning whom owns a business that uses about $1400 worth of power a MONTH. He's asked me to do him a solar setup. He had a guy come round earlier in the week trying to sell him a solar Battery system.
Mate knows what I think of batteries so asked me to look at the figures. He'd already looked at them and thought they didn't add up and took me about 2 Min to show him they would cost him double over what he is paying now over their projected lifetime.

These sales people seem to work on the principle of baffle them with Bullsh*t to make their products sound worthwhile and show them being a money saver.

Looking at friends power bills, unusually they use much more power in summer than winter so this will be ideal for straight solar for him.

We were Pontificating if batteries would ever be Viable from a power Co/ Tax POV?
Taken to closer to the end game, If Most homes and small businesses had solar and power, what would be the position of the power co? Our bet was they would lobby for some sort of protection/ Tax on batteries and solar equipment to dissuade their use and and degradation of their profits. We find it highly unlikely they are going to sink all this investment into unreliables ( even if it is mainly gubbermint granted money) and then just let everyone have solar and batteries and virtually put them our of business.  These are all companies with an obligation to share holders to make a quid so they are not going to let their golden goose  wither away away without trying to throw road blocks in the way of that.

Like anything else, they probably won't do anything except try to cash in on the  market until they see it start eating into their bottom line they they will cry hard done by and unfair and try to stop the downward spiral they are already concerned about.

The solar industry has all sorts of crap rules and regulations to protect it's own self interest and nest feathering, I cannot see the power industry not doing everything it can to stop it's profits and corporate greed being eroded.

At very least they will be like the water companies that insist if the water main runs past your place you have to pay " access" fees.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 26 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  In a previous question I was trying to ascertain if you had got into batteries as a money saver or for other reasons.

I am doing this mainly for fun and as a retirement project.

I figured that if my $3.5K battery bank lasted ten years I would probably just about break even, and have the advantage of having some power when the grid goes down.
We have had a lot of power outages here, typically three or four a year that last several hours.

I like the Lithiums, they charge easily and quickly at a high rate, very little loss of power and self discharge, and no topping up, gassing or or maintenance. But 10% cell failure rate over three years is a bit of a disappointment.

I cannot see that I am doing anything wrong in their treatment, I may have simply been unlucky with a bad batch. Running without a battery right now, still trying to decide what to do.

If I can pick up a couple of 48v fork lift lead acid batteries at a reasonable cost, I might give that a try.
Cheers,  Tony.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 04:35am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  

If I can pick up a couple of 48v fork lift lead acid batteries at a reasonable cost, I might give that a try.

The highest voltage battery pack I've seen for a electric forklift is 36 volts and when I was able to get forklift batteries I setup a retired farmer with 4 off of those 36 volt 1000AH packs so he could make up a dual 48 volt 1000AH array. He had some beefy powerjack inverters and once we had it all setup both his house and the huge shed was running off the grid and he took my advice to keep the grid on for mission critical things like fridges and freezers.

He put 10Kw of PV on the roof of his shed and he was saying by lunchtime both banks were fully charged and after overnight use they only dropped to 52 volts.

Bang for buck forklift batteries are the way to go for offgrid use as the chemistry in the battery adapts to off grid use. They are designed for a heavy current output for 8 hours then a re-charge overnight.

Now for off grid use with a constant charge coming in via PV while supply 100's of amps to the inverter they will soak up just about any input power.

It is simple procedure to check the state of charge by taking a Sg sample where 1024 is the fully charged Sg reading. Now when the battery is fully charged while supplying current the Sg will rise over time and show 1028 or higher so as one can for offgrid use these batteries are just built for the purpose.

Pricing for a new battery pack also gives the option for a matched charger for the battery and these chargers are solid state and just plain work. I was given a broken 36 volt 1000AH charger and all I did was disable the electronics and let the transformer give some raw power to my 24 volt 735AH pack powered by my 16hp listeroid engine with a 5Kw generator head.

It only took 4 hours to get my bank upto 1024 so I left it going as I was running the 16HP on vege oil and when I shut it down the battery pack was sitting on 1026 so I had a good weekend welding up the new ovens for this 150 year old stove I'm rebuilding.

I can still run my welders off my Kipoint 3Kw inverter I bought in '05 when I imported it customs didn't have a listing for inverters. Now my machineshop runs nicely off it too both lathes and the bridgeport mill where I use VFD's with a 3 wire interface for full control. When machining if any chatter starts by simply changing the hertz stops the chatter in it's tracks.

Now the 181 Viper mig I bought I do need to keep the volts down and don't go above 80 amps current and that will run off the inverter. Currently running the mig on gasless wire and soon I will try 309 SS wire and make enough dragon flies out of cutlery so I can buy a argon/co2 bottle so when I want to mig SS I can use my argon bottle to purge the vessel so I get a weld on both sides.

I have been living off the grid since '03 and I built my system to just plain work and since I switched to forklift batteries when I want to weld for a day aslong as the battery is charged I can do it.

Try that with a lithium pack and see how you go......

Cheers Bryan
Edited 2020-11-27 14:43 by Bryan1

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 04:56am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok just had frugle on 48 volt forklift batteries and yes it was as I thought 2 off 24 volt packs are combined to make a 48 volt pack. Now I did try and ring that link I got off frugle and one would think on Friday at 3.19pm they would answer but just got a meesage ring between 9 and 5 Monday to Friday.
Next week I will try and get price for 24 volt packs as I am looking at upgrading the farmhouse to a 48 volt system but for buying the charger to suit either one would have to split the pack or just take out the electronics and let the raw current do the job.

I do think 2 off 735AH packs should come under 10K new but just have a think for a minute. Lets say as few of us were going this method so if we did whats called a group buy I reckon atleast a grand could be taken off the price.

Something to ponder

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 05:36am 27 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Definitely 48v batteries available:

Quote  All indoor forklifts use electric motors operating on 12, 24, 36, or 48 VDC batteries. They usually utilize lead acid batteries of 10-75KWh capacity for traction, steering and lifting power.

https://www.solidliftparts.com/part/forklift-electric-motors
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 04:31am 28 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1 said  

It only took 4 hours to get my bank upto 1024 so I left it going as I was running the 16HP on vege oil and when I shut it down the battery pack was sitting on 1026

Currently running the mig on gasless wire

Geez you sound like my double!

Listers, Veg oil, gasless wire....

Had a lister over 10 years now ( just a 6 Hp roid) and been running veg oil in everything I can for 20. Just built a new Veg oil processor/ drier this week using an improved design I came up with. Ran a 200L batch Thursday and it worked perfect as expected. had the Kubota Mower and tractor running on it off and on for a while. Now I have a new processor they can get a much better diet of it and far less of the evil Dinosaur Juice.... :0) I don't mind the smell of Diesel but I miss that aroma of veg when it's absent.

Used gasless wire for as long as I can remember as well and although so many people rubbish it, I have never had a problem with it.  Bought my father a New Viper MIG a few months ago but for whatever reason, he couldn't get the hang of the gasless wire  although worked fine with me so back to the gas for him.

There are definitely ready made 48V forklift packs about and no shortage of them. Most companies will either reconfigure or show you how to reconfigure a pack to any voltage you like.

48V battery pack

Look through that sellers listings, they have a range of packs in size and age and pricing. You should be able to get some very good and fresh pack of the configuration you want for under $10K. I have to say I have reservations about your Group buy discount theory.  Far as I can see they have no trouble selling these things, they don't have to discount them to move them. That said, I'd certainly put the screws on them to give you a better deal on 2 Packs. Even free delivery might be a worthwhile saving.

Batteries are not furniture and I would tend to think the markup was relatively thin but if you don't ask you certainly aren't going to be offered.
An upside to LA/ forklift packs is their end of life value. I looked this up some months back and figured that the dead packs are worth 1/4 to 1/3rd the price of a comparable used pack. I think that makes for some  cheap storage when taken into account.

They seem quite happy to sell packs for solar use and why wouldn't they be? I'm sure stationary solar setups are infinitely less stressed than forklift application and would cause much less problems.  

You are certainly going for plenty of Reserve power.  Is this to cater to your welding / engineering use? With that much battery, it may not be a bad thing to double your solar input.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 05:08am 28 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sitting here inside as being 42 oC it's a bit warm to do much outside. Went out for a while after lunch but the things I wanted to move are too damn hot to touch and the tractor seat is burning my backside every time I get back on it.

It's great having the big AC going keeping the house a Cool 24o ( not that cool but certainly feels nice in comparison!) but there is always the thought in the back of ones mind if the power will go out any time it gets hot.

The AC being 3 phase is about the only thing I'm not set up to power off the genny but when this one craps out, I'll definitely be going for a single phase AC or a couple of them.

It would be nice to have the reassurance of a battery and total disregard for the weather or the possibility of the grid going down when you want it most.
That said, I can remember one outage since being here 3.5 years Which was a winter storm at night)and I think we had 3-4 in the 24 years at the last place.  Makes batteries an expensive proposition.

I am of the opinion however that the mandate the Gubbermints have both state and Federal for Unreliables to power the grid will make outages more frequent. I predicted that last summer and they seemed minimal although I think the bushfires had a lot to do with reducing the load through taking so many areas out through that.

It will be interesting to see how Grids around the  place hold up this summer if it turns out to be a hot one. I'm sure if the outages increase or start increasing as I think they will, Batteries and generators will become a hot property.

What is frustrating to me is the fact that even with the air going full tilt and the afternoon becoming quite Hazy, I'm still making more than enough power to double what I'm using and still be pushing back to the grid.  If the grid falls over, then I'm buggered. I spose I should get serious about looking into a phase converter where I can run a 3 Phase machine off a single phase input.

For those that are leaning that way, might pay to get in early with a battery pack before the rush hits.... when it does. I don't think it's an if question but a when.
May not be for a few years, having the Crystal ball and knowing when to jump would be the great trick.

This time last year we were all concerned about Bushfires, seem pretty minor compared to where we are this year.

Revlac

Guru

Posted: 10:41am 28 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Before now, most of the forklift batteries talked about here, were used batteries and lithium batteries were mostly bought new for offgrid setups.

Thinking about this, the occasionally bad cell in any of these battery packs, if out of warranty would have to be considered. the price to replace a 2v 750ah cell is similar to a set of 4 200AH lifep04, NOT Trying to make a price comparison as there is a huge difference in prices and quality from different suppliers
The price was based on the first one I found on ErkBay.

Obviously most people would get a replacement battery from the supplier they bought the forklift battery from and most likely a better price, they don't advertise the price of a single cell (would have to contact them to find out) or I would have chosen that price to go with.

Also with the large 2v FLA, if one cell gives up You can jump the bugger and keep the system up and running, would have to change the charge control settings and keep going.

For me, any more than 300Ah isnt worth getting (if at new price) as its mostly sunny and don't need any than 2 days of storage its no big deal to run the geny with a big charger for 45 minuets or so once in a while.

There is a lot of variables in this and needs are all different.
The same with running a workshop, during the day I only need the batteries to handle surges up to 200A at 48v, I don't need a lot of Battery Ah for that, But I agree Definitely Add more solar panels, I use a lot more power during the day now than I ever did while on grid, run aircons now never did before.

Started out as a hobby and just built it up a bit at a time.

A new 48V forklift battery of 750Ah, I think I would need it to last 20 years for me just to break even.

Looked up some forklift batteries, must have got a little sidetracked, saw a forklift mob using/advertising lithium batteries for there forklifts.
Cheers Aaron
Off The Grid

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:22pm 28 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone know of a similar source of fork lift batteries in Vic ?
Cheers,  Tony.

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:25am 29 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  

It would be nice to have the reassurance of a battery and total disregard for the weather or the possibility of the grid going down when you want it most.

It will be interesting to see how Grids around the  place hold up this summer if it turns out to be a hot one.

Well that didn't take long.
First couple of hot days and many thousands of people are left without power and for many hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE3wI76DhbA

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 06:56am 29 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warpspeed said  Anyone know of a similar source of fork lift batteries in Vic ?

https://www.ceilpower.com.au/used-forklift-batteries/

http://batterytechnologies.com.au/product-category/batteries/

Probably a matter of contacting the fork dealers and seeing what they have as well.

I would also keep an eye on the Auctions  ( grays/ Manheim etc) to see what a full forklift could be had for.  Might be able to take the batteries and sell the rest as parts to make the deal cheaper or use the parts to make an EV even for just round the yard.

I was in bunnings yesterday and had to wait for a guy to pass with one of those electric wheelie stacker things. I was surprised to see it had a 1.5Ton capacity.
Quite substantial for what it was.

Probably have a decent enough capacity pack on it.

I worked in a place years ago that had an electric fork. I'm not sure what the DOD capacity on those things is but they used to run it down till the thing wouldn't go anymore.  had a guy out a couple of times who said it was fine, just wasn't up to the workload they put on it. Too stingy to lease a bigger one of course.
Don't know how long the batteries would have lasted in that poor thing.

Haxby

Guru

Posted: 08:32am 30 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gray's online has some bAtteries for auction finishing tomorrow!!

Built in 2016 but in as-is status, alas they are in Queensland.

auction

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:12pm 30 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guys, I have printed out your posts.

I have just spent $3K on a new vertical milling machine, received my new toy yesterday.
Will definitely be looking at fork lift batteries but not for a little while
Cheers,  Tony.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 06:47am 01 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pic's tony or it didn't happen

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:17am 01 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan1 said  Pic's tony or it didn't happen

Tomorrow.....
The damned enormous thing weighs 450Kg, spent most of today wrestling it off my trailer and unpacking it, putting it together, wiping off the packing grease.
I am totally knackered, a hot bath and then bed right now.

Its something I have always wanted, and being 70 years old, If I did not get it now, I probably never would.
Cheers,  Tony.

Murphy's friend

Guru

Posted: 10:31am 01 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[ said  QUOTE=Warpspeed
Tomorrow.....
The damned enormous thing weighs 450Kg, spent most of today wrestling it off my trailer and unpacking it, putting it together, wiping off the packing grease.
I am totally knackered, a hot bath and then bed right now.

Its something I have always wanted, and being 70 years old, If I did not get it now, I probably never would.

That sounds a bit like the 400kg lathe I sbought myself for a retirement present but this was 14 years ago - could not move that monster now  but it was the best present I ever got.

What are you going to  mill with that machine?

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:41pm 01 Dec 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't want to hijack the thread, but for you machinery voyeurs here is a peep at my new toy.

Its fairly unique among the Chinese mills, because it has a six speed gearbox, with real gears. Most only give you direct drive and a motor speed controller.

The gearbox multiplies torque on the lower speeds, a motor controller does not, so heaps of grunt with only 1Hp.  Its also very solidly put together, pretty happy with it.

Back on topic...

Here are my three deceased 60Ah Winston cells.  Note the slight swelling.

Cheers,  Tony.

Page 2 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024