Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:37 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: V5.07.00b1 - Mouse heaven

Page 1 of 5    
matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:21am 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please try the New Year beta V5.07.00b1

http://geoffg.net/Downloads/Maximite/CMM2_Beta.zip

This has major new functionality to make your programming easier including full mouse integration into the filemanager and editor.

First PS2 mice are now supported connected directly to the CMM2. Many current USB mice still support the PS2 protocol and the current Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse is fully tested and recommended.

To make the connection I use a PS2 connector breakout and USB/PS2 adapter. The mouse clock line is connected to pin 33 of the CMM2 and the mouse data to pin 32.

These lines must have pullups to 5V fitted. I've used 5K1 resistors as I have run out of 4K7 which are recommended

You can use exactly the same commands and functions to access and use a PS2 mouse as the Hobbytronic mouse except that the channel number for the PS2 mouse is zero

CONTROLLER MOUSE OPEN 0 [,[leftclickinterrupt] [,rightclickinterrupt] [,sensitivity]

Note the new optional sensitivity parameter. This allows you to tune the sensitivity of the Hobbytronic mice I/F by specifying a number between 0 and 10. 0 indicates that the default automaitic sensitivity should be used. Other values will explicitly set the sensitivity as per the Hobbytronic documentation.
For the PS2 mouse the sensitivity can be set between 0 and 8. Values of 1-4 set the resolution of the mouse to 1,2, 4 or 8 counts/mm. Values 5-8 do the same but in addition enable mouse scaling which gives a non-linear relationship between speed and count. See here for more details. NB: not all PS2 mice seem to implement these commands.

Attached below is my mouse test program modified for the PS2 mouse.

There is a new sub-function for all mice

MOUSE( D [,channel])

This allows you to detect a double click of the left mouse button and works for both the PS2 and Hobbytronic mice. The algorithm say the two clicks must occur between 100 and 500 milliseconds apart. The report via MOUSE(D) is then valid for 500mSec before it times out or until it is read.

In order to use a mouse in the filemanager and editor you need to tell the firmware to expect a mouse to be available:

OPTION MOUSE channel [,sensitivity]

This says that a mouse is connected to the specified channel (use channel 0 for a PS2 mouse) and the filemanager and editor will then expect and use the mouse. To disable the mouse in the editor and filemanager use:

OPTION MOUSE OFF

You can enquire the status of the mouse option using MM.INFO(OPTION MOUSE) - reports -1 is no mouse is specified.

The mouse works as you would expect in both applications:

In the filemanager you can:
Left click on a line to position the cursor.
You can use the wheel to scroll up and down the file list
Right click in the top half of the screen to page up
Right click in the bottom half of the screen to page down
Double click to open/run a file (same as typing CR)
If you open an image you can return to the filemanager by left clicking the mouse.

In the editor you can:
Left click to position the edit cursor.
Scroll wheel to move up and down
Left click and hold down then move cursor to a new position and release the left button. The enclosed area will be selected for cut and paste.
Within cut and paste mode you can use the cursor and wheel to change the selection
To exit cut and paste without doing anything right click
Right click in top area of screen to scroll up (except in select mode)
Right click in bottom of screen to scroll down (except in select mode)
Left click at far left to scroll horizontally one character if the screen is scrolled horizontally
Left click at far right to scroll horizontally one character if the line is too long for the display
Double left click at far left to scroll to beginning of line if the screen is scrolled horizontally
Double left click at far right scroll horizontally to the end of line if the line is too long for the display

There is more in V5.07.00b1 but this post is long enough so describing that can wait for another day.

Enjoy

const mousechan=0
mode 1
cls
gui cursor on
setpin 5,dout
controller mouse open mousechan,leftclick,rightclick
print "Mouse found is type ",mouse(t,mousechan)
pause 1000
cls
settick 20, myint
'
do
 pause 100
 print @(0,100)str$(mouse(s,mousechan),3)
loop
'
sub myint
 gui cursor mouse(x,mousechan),mouse(y,mousechan)
end sub
'
sub leftclick
 static integer m=0
 local integer i
 local integer x=mouse(x,mousechan),y=mouse(y,mousechan)
 gui cursor colour rgb(red)
 gui cursor x,y
 m=m+1
 print @(100,100)"left",m
 i=mouse(z,mousechan) 'zero the scroll count
end sub
'
sub rightclick
 static integer n=0
 local integer x=mouse(x,mousechan),y=mouse(y,mousechan)
 gui cursor colour rgb(green)
 gui cursor x,y
 n=n+1
 print @(200,100)"Right",n
 if n=10 then
   controller mouse close mousechan
   end
 endif
end sub

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 12:07pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great News ! Thx a lot Matherp !
Plasma

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 04:00pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks very much Peter,
I will try it.
In the meantime I was playing with exactly the same think (PS/2 mouse direct on CMM2) and tryied to communicate with MMBasic, but I was unsuccessful. Also my connection is similar, just swapped DATA and CLOCK...
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

yock1960

Posted: 06:47pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool! And we thought you were taking a well deserved holiday!

Steve

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 07:44pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Please try the New Year beta V5.07.00b1

In order to use a mouse in the filemanager and editor you need to tell the firmware to expect a mouse to be available:

OPTION MOUSE channel [,sensitivity]

This says that a mouse is connected to the specified channel (use channel 0 for a PS2 mouse) and the filemanager and editor will then expect and use the mouse. To disable the mouse in the editor and filemanager use:

OPTION MOUSE OFF

Is the setting for OPTION MOUSE saved between reboots?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:40pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is the setting for OPTION MOUSE saved between reboots?
Yes

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:44pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just went to Harvey Norman (big retailer for the overseas readers) and purchased a new 'Microsoft Basic Optical mouse'.
Normal price $18 but currently $10.

The specs and packaging only refer to USB but as soon as I opened the box, I saw the USB-PS2 adapter so I knew we were onto a winner.

This new mouse is the same as my 4 year old one. the base mentions PS2 but I have seen images of some supposedly the same mouse which don't mention PS/2 so I wouldn't like to guarantee that ALL will work.

With 2 4.7k resistors and a USB socket wired to pins 32 and 33, I have a nice working mouse at the right price.
The Clock line (pin 33) goes to D+ and data (pin 32) goes to D-
If you get it wrong, no smoke is released.
If you are cutting a USB cable to use, the green wire is probably D+, white D- red +5V and black for ground.
I have seen cables that don't follow that convention.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:52pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TassyJim I guess this makes your Arduino Nano based solution a technological dead end now? Shame, for all my procrastination I was enjoying myself doing a bit of hardware trying to get it working. I guess I'll have to find something else to do with my new Nanos (x5).

Well done Peter,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  @TassyJim I guess this makes your Arduino Nano based solution a technological dead end now? Shame, for all my procrastination I was enjoying myself doing a bit of hardware trying to get it working. I guess I'll have to find something else to do with my new Nanos (x5).

Well done Peter,

Tom

Not totally obsolete.
There will be some PS/2 mice that don't play fair. Using my code as a starter, it will be relatively easy to make changes to get the most obscure device talking.

I will clean up the mouse code and remover the joystick sections form it before posting a final submission.

I will then repurpose it as a joystick to wii classic controller.
Joysticks need lots of inputs so we need an external device if we want multiple joysticks.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 10:05pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  I just went to Harvey Norman (big retailer for the overseas readers) and purchased a new 'Microsoft Basic Optical mouse'.

Could you tell us the model number, etc?

@ Peter Mather:
Does the wheel click work?
Can the firmware recognize button UP events?

Awesome work!
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:54pm 02 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  
  TassyJim said  I just went to Harvey Norman (big retailer for the overseas readers) and purchased a new 'Microsoft Basic Optical mouse'.

Could you tell us the model number, etc?

@ Peter Mather:
Does the wheel click work?
Can the firmware recognize button UP events?

Awesome work!

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V2.0
Model 1113

These do state USB/PS2 compatible but I have seen images of the same V2.0 mouse without PS2 mentioned so 'buyer beware'

Wheel click does work.
No interrupt for button up but you can always test for it as required.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:52am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 03:48am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim
  Quote  Not totally obsolete.
There will be some PS/2 mice that don't play fair. Using my code as a starter, it will be relatively easy to make changes to get the most obscure device talking.

That is good news as I put a lot of sweat equity into that thing but I am also very thankful that Matherp is making this so much easier for so many others and the integration into the editor and file manager is a game-changer.  Your work on this was inspired and very appreciated and I will keep my first project around for future use.  Thanks to you and Matherp very much.

One question though is there any performance differences between the two options, ie. Native PS/2 mouse and HT mouse?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:22am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  
One question though is there any performance differences between the two options, ie. Native PS/2 mouse and HT mouse?

Not sure about the differences between to two mice methods but there is a very small cost of having the mouse running.

Quote  Without mouse  Performance:    17332 grains @ 15:12:58.598

With mouse     Performance:    17221 grains @ 15:16:20.127

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 04:26am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

Errr... Jim, how does that work? I obviously don't understand D+ and D- transmission.
I think I see a 4K7 and a 2K2 pullup. Is that combination important or is the 2K2 there because your toolbox ran out of 4K7's.

Greg

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:31am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi.  two things I found with the new mouse functionality.  

1. If you have to mouse working in file explorer if you hit control S for sort you lose the mouse and its curser.

2. the mouse wheel is inverted.  If you roll up the text scrolls down and up when I roll down.  I am using Jim's PS/2 HT USB emulator and it works. That seems counter intuitive to other mouse behavior.  When I am on this web page I roll forward to go up and back to go down.

Jim your wonderful test program still works with the resolution I2C command REMed out and the OPTION MOUSE OFF.  With OPTION MOUSE ON 2,X it will not run crashing on I2C2 not open.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:43am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

This one kind of confuses me.  If you are using a USB mouse don't you need the HT USB host or am I missing somthing?

Jim, You make the best wiring diagrams but can you give one with the proper connections to the PS/2 female port.  Thanks.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:57am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PS/2 connector.

"Some" USB mice work as PS/2 with an adapter.
Peters photo shows one connected.
Because I will be using this type of mouse, I can dispense with the adapter and plug directly into the USB socket. When I want to use a PS/2 mouse, I need to use an adapter which is the reverse of the adapter that Peter used. (It is also the one I originally used.) I made an adapter out of a couple of suitable cables.

Some USB mice are happy as PS/2 but only some.
If your mouse is happy as PS/2, there is no need for the HobbyTronics chip.
The Microsoft mouse I mentioned earlier is one such currently available mouse.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 07:10am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  If you are using a USB mouse, there is no need for the adapter.

Jim

Is the resistor on the right 100 Ohms (Yellow, Purple, Orange)? What about the one on the left? I can't really tell the colors from the photo.
Edited 2021-01-03 17:11 by toml_12953

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:18am 03 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Both resistors should be 4K7 but the value is nor critical

Quote  One question though is there any performance differences between the two options, ie. Native PS/2 mouse and HT mouse?

The Hobbytronic mouse is polled every 16mSec. The PS2 mouse is completely interrupt driven. So if you don't move a PS2 mouse it has no overhead but when it is moving the overhead may be slightly more as each clock causes an interrupt
Edited 2021-01-03 18:25 by matherp

Page 1 of 5    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024