Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:21 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 software library in one place

Page 1 of 7    
jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 06:03pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
because I'm already tired to search again and again in this forum for apps, I thought it could be good to make some central "repository of links" for apps and demos for CMM2.

Something like Fruit of the shed  but with screenshots and sorted. It doesn't have to be complete list of ALL applications, but at least the more interesting/useful/appealing ones. Parallel to it needs to be uses some storage, here from my point of view can be the easiest GitHub (?).

I have prepared some draft on CMM2.fun, if you find this idea good, then simply put here your favourites with screenshot, description and link and I can add it to the list.
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

frnno967

Posted: 07:00pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is awesome. I'll email you info for Maxiterm.

Someone on the Facebook group had an idea that might have some merit too. The idea was a shell script that automatically downloads all the known projects from github to your SD card and can be used to update them as well. I don't know how to code such a script, but it would be a cool idea if we just provided a script that could give someone all the latest software at once. Kind of like the update script the MISTer uses but also for initial downloads.

Maybe I'll take a shot at seeing if I can adapt that script for the idea.

Thanks again!
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

mkopack73

Posted: 07:00pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm ALL for folks using GitHub to store their projects... This way, as the developer pushes up new updates, all we have to do as users is pop the card in our PC/Mac/Linux box, cd into the directory and type "Git pull" to grab any updates. It could even be automated in some way to go through your entire SD card and perform the pull on every program you have installed to update everything to the latest/greatest.

We simply need:

1) everyone to use Git (yeah, not easy, always going to be resistance)
2) an index of where to go to get the software so we can clone the repositories to our SD cards.

So, yeah, what you're putting together here is PERFECT.  Just need a way for folks to be able to add to the index when they put out something new...

mkopack73

Posted: 07:01pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

frnno967 said  This is awesome. I'll email you info for Maxiterm.

Someone on the Facebook group had an idea that might have some merit too. The idea was a shell script that automatically downloads all the known projects from github to your SD card and can be used to update them as well. I don't know how to code such a script, but it would be a cool idea if we just provided a script that could give someone all the latest software at once. Kind of like the update script the MISTer uses but also for initial downloads.

Maybe I'll take a shot at seeing if I can adapt that script for the idea.

Thanks again!

Yup, that was me :)

mkopack73

Posted: 07:12pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh and maybe a "Recently Added" list indexed by date, newest-oldest... that way if it's been a while since folks have  looked at the site, it's easy to see newly added software without having to dig into each category...

But this is a great start!

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:22pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very nice, but can I express concerns about the community using any system reliant on a single maintainer, TBS not withstanding.

Also, I don't know whether your site is static HTML, or using some sort of content manager, either way is the "source" something that you can upload to GitHub. That would be a good way to increase the truck number.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

RetroJoe

Posted: 07:50pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jiri, very attractive and compelling for a 1.0 effort. Thanks for raising the bar on CMM2 promotion and awareness!

I do share the various concerns around change control and maintainability, particular updates for new CMM2 firmware.

In my experience, most of the stuff on Fruit of the Shed no longer runs properly, which was largely the genesis of Tom's Welcome Tape i.e. a curated, regression-tested set of CMM2 stuff for newbies, "guaranteed" to run on the latest FW.

As Kurt Vonnegut said, "Everybody likes to build things, nobody likes to maintain things", so ideally GitHub enables a foolproof way to keep everything updated.
Edited 2021-02-04 05:59 by RetroJoe
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Very nice, but can I express concerns about the community using any system reliant on a single maintainer, TBS not withstanding.

Also, I don't know whether your site is static HTML, or using some sort of content manager, either way is the "source" something that you can upload to GitHub. That would be a good way to increase the truck number.

Best wishes,

Tom

Hi Tom,
yes, you are totally right in all points!
But my reason was, when I will make list for myself, I can put it on the web for wide use. It's simply static web now, because until now I didn't find too many apps/demos/games... maybe less than 100? And this can buy us some time until will be found some better way. And I'm really able to fill it at maximum with 100 or 200 items and then stop.

For future can be nice, when you just "add the app" with path to GitHub (or some other storage) and when in this path will be defined version, screenshot etc., it can be automatic updated...

Maybe somebody here with web orientation can help with it...
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:11pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jiri,

Quote  It's simply static web now,

That may be an advantage for now. Can I suggest keeping an up-to-date copy on github so that if you lose enthusiasm then someone else (not me) can pick up the baton.

I'll be happy to provide links/descriptions/images for my projects when I get screen capture working; the VGA to HDMI adapter I thought I had turned out to be HDMI to VGA  

Best Wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:55pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maxiterm added
Jiri

mkopack73

Posted: 10:23pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the key thing to remember is this is an INDEX, not a code repository. It's really just a list of where to go to get things. This is good because it allows us developers to continue to control our own code rather than having it hosted on some strange site where anyone can muck with it.

It's good for the end users because it'll help them find things. For us devs who do use GitHub it'll make it very easy for users to always be able to grab the latest and greatest versions of our programs.

Really the only thing we need added is a way for us developers to directly add entries for our programs to the list so jirsoft doesn't have to manually do it himself.

Kind of a win-win-win...

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I think the key thing to remember is this is an INDEX, not a code repository. It's really just a list of where to go to get things. This is good because it allows us developers to continue to control our own code rather than having it hosted on some strange site where anyone can muck with it.

It's good for the end users because it'll help them find things. For us devs who do use GitHub it'll make it very easy for users to always be able to grab the latest and greatest versions of our programs.

Exactly this way it was meant. And the file can be stored anywhere, on author personal web site, Google site, Dropbox... But the responsibility of live link is up to author.

Quote  Really the only thing we need added is a way for us developers to directly add entries for our programs to the list so jirsoft doesn't have to manually do it himself.

Kind of a win-win-win...

I'm trying to prepare simple DB with some PHP script to be able to add into/update DB. When it will work locally, I can put it on the web. But I think anyway should have control limited count of admins, maybe because of some strange jokers...

Right now I have paid very little for the domain for 2021 (and I have also cmm2.monster, when needed), hosting is just alias to existing one, so next thing is I don't want any commercial on this site (maybe with exception of some locals connected direct to CMM2 business, but it needs to be discussed).
Jiri

mkopack73

Posted: 10:59pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe just have a simple form for us to fill out with the program name, a link and maybe our email address and a captcha to submit the form. Submission sends the info to you so you can then manually add it to the list... That would probably styme about 90% of the malicious bot nonsense.

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 11:26pm 03 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hi Jiri,

I'll be happy to provide links/descriptions/images for my projects when I get screen capture working; the VGA to HDMI adapter I thought I had turned out to be HDMI to VGA  

Best Wishes,

Tom

Simply put inside proper place of your project temporary line with

SAVE IMAGE "SCREEN.BMP"

and the capture is done...
Jiri

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:09am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is a great idea Jiri.

I would like to put a link to it on my CMM2 home page.  Any objections?

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:35am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice site. One niggle: "scrapped" is "discarded", "turned into reusable parts".

"Scraped" is probably what you mean. (Wish my Czech was as good as your English.)
Edited 2021-02-04 10:36 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Plasmamac

Guru

Posted: 06:21am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nice idea but i think we need a direct download also , so who can host the software ?
Plasma

frnno967

Posted: 06:31am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Plasmamac said  nice idea but i think we need a direct download also , so who can host the software ?

I'm working on customizing a version of the download script that the MISTer uses so that people can host their projects on GitHub and the script will download them for you all at once. I'll be sure to post it for comments when it's close to ready.
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:40am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  That is a great idea Jiri.

I would like to put a link to it on my CMM2 home page.  Any objections?

Geoff

Hi Greg,
of course no objections, link to your site is also there without polite asking (sorry   )
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:43am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Nice site. One niggle: "scrapped" is "discarded", "turned into reusable parts".

"Scraped" is probably what you mean. (Wish my Czech was as good as your English.)

Thanks,
I did change it a little bit, I hope is better now...
(I'm using too much German last years and too little other languages, this is the result...   )
Jiri

Page 1 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024