Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:34 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 software library in one place

Page 2 of 7    
jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:50am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Plasmamac said  nice idea but i think we need a direct download also , so who can host the software ?

I don't think any central download site is needed. Why? You have GitHub, Google Drive, Microsoft One, Dropbox, Mega... Everybody likes something different and if you have this central index, could be enough, or?
Maybe I'm already too old, but times, when I needed to have every SW for my Commodore C64 are long away (and I had so many titles I didn't find any time to play with...). So I don't think everybody needs complete CMM2 library, now I'm simple try to find, what I need and suits me (and when is something missing, that's better, I can develop it   )
But it's just my point of view...
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 10:33am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
in the meantime I tried to find best model for future of this index site. So I'm putting here few points, when is something wrong, comment it:

1. I'm expecting, that when some SW (app, demo, game) was linked here, is prepared to be allowed to be linked also on CMM2.fun site. When somebody has problem with it, please write to info@cmm2.fun or here, I will remove the link...

2. I prepared DB, so right now I'm putting the data into static web and parallel to it into DB. For this DB I will prepare repository on GitHub, where I will be regularly put the backup

3. For every app I store following data in apps table:
  title
 subtitle
  version
  category (own table, can be extended in the future) right now one of:
   general (default), demo, game, music, tool, graphic, science, school (learn ?), communication, business, electronics
 author (own table)
   name (nick...),  contact (GitHub, webpage, email... or nothing)
 screenshot, max 50kB, size up to 400*300
 description, max 1000 characters
 link
 changed datestamp, to be able to listt recently updated...

4. for input I will prepare shadow table, where will be put NEW RECORD and UPDATE (or DELETE  ), later will be by moderators updated the apps table and remove from shadow. It will be limited daily count of changes in shadow table (50?, can be reset immediately by moderators) as protection against bots

When somebody here is good at web design, please help. I will prefer just very simple layout with one main page with categories to choose from and then reusable template for category list. I expect could be done with up to 10 html and css files, not the mess usually is product by any web app or CMS (like is it now  ). I don't know anything about using forms, but can help with php, sql, js... When ready, write to me or put some info here. (To disposal are MySQL up to 500 MB inclusive screenshots - that's why limit for size, PHP5+7)
Now it can be still in static, parallel to it I can "graft it" to existing app at least for tests.
Jiri

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 10:55am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please excuse me for a quick off-topic.

As Gauntlet in my internal base (not uploaded to GitHub yet) is very polished now, it can call some attention and open some problems with copyrights of the trademark name.

In the next release, it will be renamed to MAZES OF CHAOS and all the assets will be changed, which includes all voices, graphics, and other arts. The gameplay will remain exactly the same but with some enhancements. The game will now have a historical background linking with the past events of INTO THE DARKNESS.

And only for curiosity, the new characters will be Paladin, Amazon, Archer, and Lich (who is the main character from INTO THE DARKNESS 150 years after the history of the game).

jirsoft, soon as this update happens, I will communicate with you to change it on your site, ok?

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 11:12am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  Please excuse me for a quick off-topic.

As Gauntlet in my internal base (not uploaded to GitHub yet) is very polished now, it can call some attention and open some problems with copyrights of the trademark name.

In the next release, it will be renamed to MAZES OF CHAOS and all the assets will be changed, which includes all voices, graphics, and other arts. The gameplay will remain exactly the same but with some enhancements. The game will now have a historical background linking with the past events of INTO THE DARKNESS.

And only for curiosity, the new characters will be Paladin, Amazon, Archer, and Lich (who is the main character from INTO THE DARKNESS 150 years after the history of the game).

jirsoft, soon as this update happens, I will communicate with you to change it on your site, ok?

Hi Mauro,
of course and I'm sorry I already used your Gauntlet, should I remove it or hide it now until your next actions? (I couldn't resist, you works are insane )
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 11:59am 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Added Let's Encrypt certificate, so now is CMM2.fun accessible through https...
Jiri

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:32pm 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  Hi Mauro,
of course and I'm sorry I already used your Gauntlet, should I remove it or hide it now until your next actions? (I couldn't resist, your works are insane )

You are free to use my works as you wish, all of them are for the community and I'm happy to see them spread out.

You don't need to remove Gauntlet for now, only when MAZES OF CHAOS is released. I will send to you a message when it's done.

And thanks for appreciating my works, it's an honour receive an evaluation by a great developer, as all your software are very well done too.

elk1984

Posted: 07:03pm 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Very nice, but can I express concerns about the community using any system reliant on a single maintainer, TBS not withstanding.

Also, I don't know whether your site is static HTML, or using some sort of content manager, either way is the "source" something that you can upload to GitHub. That would be a good way to increase the truck number.

Best wishes,

Tom

I second that it's a great idea.  At the risk of getting meta, could the site source the list of links itself from github?

Or even, even better, allow a "publisher" to put a link to their GitHub repo which is then scraped by the site so the only registration is for a contributor rather than per contribution?

(They're all great features when I'm not the coder   )

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:52pm 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  At the risk of getting meta, could the site source the list of links itself from github?

One way this might be achievable:

GitHub appears to have a REST API so we agree:
- a repo naming convention, eg."cmm2_" prefix
- fixed locations and format within repo for metadata and screenshot

A script could then query GitHub and build the index auto-magically.

Then we just have to persuade/teach everyone how to use GitHub

Alternatively we each create a repo "user/cmm2-index" which just contains metadata for locating and describing one or more projects that might not themselves be hosted on GitHub. Once again the script scrapes these repos.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

elk1984

Posted: 08:51pm 04 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  elk1984 said  At the risk of getting meta, could the site source the list of links itself from github?

One way this might be achievable:

GitHub appears to have a REST API so we agree:
- a repo naming convention, eg."cmm2_" prefix
- fixed locations and format within repo for metadata and screenshot

A script could then query GitHub and build the index auto-magically.

Then we just have to persuade/teach everyone how to use GitHub

Alternatively we each create a repo "user/cmm2-index" which just contains metadata for locating and describing one or more projects that might not themselves be hosted on GitHub. Once again the script scrapes these repos.

Best wishes,

Tom

That's a cool idea!  Standard categorisation and inclusion of firmware version etc.
Edited 2021-02-05 07:24 by elk1984

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:02am 05 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
so already moved CMM2.fun from static web to php files with DB access. Source is here (be nice, I'm really very weak in PHP, HTML, CSS and SQL...)

Look is not so nice, but can be improved, now is missing the editing part (I can edit it in phpAdmin now), here I need more time and/or help.

What I'm proud of is, that after one hour discussion with friend who builds web apps, and who was trying to push me into some "robust, big, fancy, blah, blah" CMS (and when I told him I need small and fast responsive web without looking on loading progress bar, he told me is not possible today), I did it with 2 php files, 1 picture for banner and everything else is in MySQL.

So at least easy to maintain.

Enjoy!
Edited 2021-02-05 21:36 by jirsoft
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 05 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Btw I have added few apps and I found the biggest complications:

1. Screenshots. Here needs to be definitely  support from authors. I tried to do some, but is first for me too time consuming, second I don't know best moment for screenshot (when I don't know the app), third I have some problems to start the app at all (for example Z-MIM - paths to files are all absolutes)

2. Links. Again, really up to athors to have the links live. It really doesn't matter, where is the file(s), but it should be there...

3. Description. I think it's clear here

It would be nice, if at least some of them, who discussed in this thread and agreed on the central index idea, will be supported it with sending of the informations about their apps... (thanks Jay!)
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:26pm 05 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  It would be nice, if at least some of them, who discussed in this thread and agreed on the central index idea, will be supported it with sending of the informations about their apps... (thanks Jay!)

Sorry Jiri, I've got maybe 5 hours a week at the moment actually sat infront of the CMM2 and I'm trying to push a project of my own forward in that time. I'll see what I can do about a Z-MIM screenshot, and fixing the absolute path requirement (it was one of my earliest programs and is also designed to run on the CMM1 which has less flexible file handling commands.)

Good work on the site and thanks for backing it up to GitHub. Can I suggest you lose the wacky font for the body text (do what you like for titles) and switch to a standard sans-serif font that is easier on the eyes.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-02-05 22:32 by thwill

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 01:40pm 05 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No Tom,
I'm sorry, maybe my last sentence was cruel. Everybody has own life and when everything were normal, I will be still in the job until late evening. But I'm home with COVID, feeling finally better and so trying at least to put so much work in other activities (until now on the siding) as possible...
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:53pm 05 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Jiri,

The new font is much better.

I suggest:

1. Add link to https://geoffg.net/maximite.html
2. Add link to TBS
3. Add some introductory text about the CMM2 just in case someone stumbles upon your site first, just crib the first couple of paragraphs from https://geoffg.net/maximite.html

Best wishes,

Tom

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  I'm home with COVID, feeling finally better ....

Hi Jiri,
I didn't realise you were doing all this while at the same time battling COVID. Great to hear you're finally feeling better and best of luck with your convalescence.

My daughter, husband and two year-old are now in Ireland with her husband's family and they're scheduled to fly from Dublin to Melbourne in ten days time. They managed to keep safe for a year while working in England up to a couple of weeks ago but we're all very nervous about the airports/flights coming bhome. It doesn't help that she's also expecting their next child and they'll have to do another two week lockdown hotel quarantine here in Melbourne when (if) they manage to not get bumped from the flight.

Greg
Edited 2021-02-06 22:59 by paceman

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 07:50pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Hey Jiri,

The new font is much better.

I suggest:

1. Add link to https://geoffg.net/maximite.html
2. Add link to TBS
3. Add some introductory text about the CMM2 just in case someone stumbles upon your site first, just crib the first couple of paragraphs from https://geoffg.net/maximite.html

Best wishes,

Tom

Hi Tom,
good idea, I tried to prepare something in such way...
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:12pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
I have did few changes on the CMM2.fun site:
1. I have already prepared quick&dirty form for adding of new application into list, you will find the button in left bottom part of banner right to HOME. It's really simple, just fill:
Title, mandatory, name of the app
Version, any string
Subtitle, the row under title in the list, something like short description
Description, long text (up to 2000 characters)
Screenshot, image to show in the list. Here I changed the system, so the limit for image file size is 512kB, image should be 4:3 format something in 800x600 pixel limit (but can be higher). It could be combination of more pictures, when clicked, it will open full sized in separate window
Download at, this is link to the app, without proper working one will be not approved
Category, selected from pop-up, when more categories needed, just let me know
Author, either select one already in DB or NEW AUTHOR and then fill name and contact (on existing not needed)

Press Upload. Both data and screenshot are uploaded into separate area, so needs to be moved manually into current table. When are already 20+ records waiting for the approval, you need wait or let me know...

2. Design changes
Added some info text, links to TBS and Geoff's site, button for LAST 5 applications added...

Enkjoy!
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:18pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said  
  jirsoft said  I'm home with COVID, feeling finally better ....

Hi Jiri,
I didn't realise you were doing all this while at the same time battling COVID. Great to hear you're finally feeling better and best of luck with your convalescence.

My daughter, husband and two year-old are now in Ireland with her husband's family and they're scheduled to fly from Dublin to Melbourne in ten days time. They managed to keep safe for a year while working in England up to a couple of weeks ago but we're all very nervous about the airports/flights coming bhome. It doesn't help that she's also expecting their next child and they'll have to do another two week lockdown hotel quarantine here in Melbourne when (if) they manage to not get bumped from the flight.

Greg

Thanks Greg,
after about one week I feel much better (anyway it was not so bad for me, big back-pain but everything else similar like flu, so I'm happy). I hope your relatives will be also OK, here in Czech are young people usually almost without symptoms and children are mostly just spread the virus...
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 07 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  good idea, I tried to prepare something in such way...

Hi Jiri,

Sorry to hear about your CV-19, I'm glad to hear you are getting better. My family have managed to dodge it so far, but I imagine it is only a matter of time. At least my parents have had their vaccinations now.

I noticed the changes before you posted your update, looks good, "onward and upward".

If you want to push the latest updates to github then I will comment on some of the grammar and spelling if you like.

Other suggestions:

1. IMO Geoff is the CMM2's "grandfather" (sorry Geoff, I'm sure you're not that old) and if it can be said to have a single "father" then it is Peter.

2. Where currently you show "App(s)" and "Author(s)" why not just count the number of matching rows and show the plural or not as appropriate.

3. Provide an appropriate <title> element in the <head>

4. Provide a "favicon.ico"

5. Your mileage may vary, but I would consider keeping the screenshots as files alongside instead of actually in the database. One significant advantage is that they would then be visible as images in github and it would open up the possibility that the github cognoscenti could send you pull requests to update their images, or even add new items to the index.

6. I was going to suggest changing the risque image you were using for Napoleon Commander, but I see that you beat me to it.

I haven't forgotten about Z-MIM, it's just that when scaled to 400x300 a naive screenshot of its console interface is pretty dreadful, I may need to "fake" it.

Best wishes,

Tom

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 01:46pm 07 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,
here few comments:
  Quote  2. Where currently you show "App(s)" and "Author(s)" why not just count the number of matching rows and show the plural or not as appropriate.

I have probleme here, because our (czech) grammar is here total different and I don't know, how is it exactly in english and if isn't too complicated too. So I have chosen easiest way...

Quote  3. Provide an appropriate <title> element in the <head>

I will fix it.

Quote  4. Provide a "favicon.ico"

I need to create something...

Quote  5. Your mileage may vary, but I would consider keeping the screenshots as files alongside instead of actually in the database. One significant advantage is that they would then be visible as images in github and it would open up the possibility that the github cognoscenti could send you pull requests to update their images, or even add new items to the index.

It's already done and in the DB are just paths. That's the reason why I push the limit from 50kB to 500kB for screenshot

Now I'm just waiting if somebody will put first app into DB  
Jiri

Page 2 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024