Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:22 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 software library in one place

Page 6 of 7    
Frank_Drebin

Posted: 11:08am 21 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry if that's been discussed already (the thread is getting quite long), but would you consider having the navbar use a little less height ?

Having a fixed size of 274px is fine for the main page, but once you select a category and browse the list of apps, it just takes too much screen real estate that would be better used listing apps.

May be a smaller version of the banner on those pages ?

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 05:55pm 21 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Frank_Drebin said  orry if that's been discussed already (the thread is getting quite long), but would you consider having the navbar use a little less height ?

Having a fixed size of 274px is fine for the main page, but once you select a category and browse the list of apps, it just takes too much screen real estate that would be better used listing apps.

Hi,
I will take look on it, but I was very happy it finally worked  
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 11:48am 27 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have created new category HARDWARE, where could be put some extensions, cases etc. As first I have added  Neimo's case.
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:09pm 27 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Frank_Drebin said  Sorry if that's been discussed already (the thread is getting quite long), but would you consider having the navbar use a little less height ?

I did try to make header small as possible.

Also some changes in titles  (items instead of prg because of new Hardware section) and better NEW ITEM page...
Jiri

Frank_Drebin

Posted: 08:41am 05 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jirsoft said  
I did try to make header small as possible.

Thanks for the change, much better on small screens.

Nelno

Posted: 10:24pm 09 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First off, thank you for doing this! I was considering the need for this and whether or not I should invest in it myself just around the time I saw your announcement, so I'm glad to see it happen!

I have one suggestion though -- the star ratings as they are are a bit confusing to me. It looks like it's just based on the number of "likes" a project has, but stars are generally associated with the quality of a thing (at least in the US and hotels). This means right now it looks (to me, at least) like we have a bunch of 1- and 2-star quality programs and projects available for CMM2.

I would suggest either a simple "like" counter (maybe just a thumbs up with a counter next to it) or the actual ability to rate something 1 to 5 stars and then the stars shown are the average of all ratings.

Personally I am not really keen on the idea of the average rating system because at this point I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason not to release their CMM2 projects for fear of getting a low rating. There's not a lot of software so anything we can do to encourage people to share is probably the better course.

Really, this is just a minor nitpick and I like what you have, but just found the visual representation of stars to be confusing.

Overall the site is great and thanks for taking this on!

-Jonathan

Swartz

Posted: 06:45am 10 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Couple of thoughts , and please excuse if my being so late to the party has made me miss some topics already covered.

For git usage - it is best to avoid large files because they will always be part of the repo history even if the file is deleted.

For another - and not to be a buzz kill. But anything on the web is subject to any kind malicious activity by malcontents. Any thoughts toward the appropriate level of security and mitigating for common hacks?

Swartz
Edited 2021-03-10 16:52 by Swartz

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 10 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nelno said  First off, thank you for doing this! I was considering the need for this and whether or not I should invest in it myself just around the time I saw your announcement, so I'm glad to see it happen!

I have one suggestion though -- the star ratings as they are are a bit confusing to me. It looks like it's just based on the number of "likes" a project has, but stars are generally associated with the quality of a thing (at least in the US and hotels). This means right now it looks (to me, at least) like we have a bunch of 1- and 2-star quality programs and projects available for CMM2.

I would suggest either a simple "like" counter (maybe just a thumbs up with a counter next to it) or the actual ability to rate something 1 to 5 stars and then the stars shown are the average of all ratings.

Personally I am not really keen on the idea of the average rating system because at this point I wouldn't want to give anyone a reason not to release their CMM2 projects for fear of getting a low rating. There's not a lot of software so anything we can do to encourage people to share is probably the better course.

Really, this is just a minor nitpick and I like what you have, but just found the visual representation of stars to be confusing.

Overall the site is great and thanks for taking this on!

-Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
first thanks, I'm glad it's not so bad...

I agree with you, I will think it over and change it for something more expressing visitors point of view...
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 09:53am 10 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Swartz said  Couple of thoughts , and please excuse if my being so late to the party has made me miss some topics already covered.

For git usage - it is best to avoid large files because they will always be part of the repo history even if the file is deleted.

For another - and not to be a buzz kill. But anything on the web is subject to any kind malicious activity by malcontents. Any thoughts toward the appropriate level of security and mitigating for common hacks?

Swartz

Hi Swartz,
the git it's used mainly as safety fuse when I die too early or something else will happen. Biggest files are just the pictures (screens), anything else is small (inclusive SQL dump).

For the security: here are my knowledge very limited, maybe you can help. When I have made the web, I had just few basic rules:

1. not to use any library to make web slow or big for git. Maybe wrong choice from point of security or fancy things, but I'm looking on words "Loading..." on too many webs already...
First I have asked one friend (who does web development) for it, but he propose exact that I didn't want to: some 1 MB framework, rock solid, safe.... So finally I wrote myself.

2. use POST method for adding of new items (I have thought it's safe enough?)

3. parse parameter in GET method (listApp.php), I have just two of them, sort and this is compared to 1 (=sorted by date) or 2 (=sorted by rating), not directly used in SQL, and limit which is added to finish LIMIT part of the SQL...

4. DB is accessible just from inside of hosting through PHP, so password can't be used from outside. And when somebody breaks into hosting, he can change anything anyway (and I can later replace it from git or backup)

As I have said, if you can help with it without using any external library.
Jiri

Swartz

Posted: 02:09pm 10 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  A s I have said, if you can help with it without using any external library.

Let me doing some digging through my documents and records and relevant links and such. Will round back soon.

Happy to help
Swartz
Edited 2021-03-11 00:13 by Swartz

Swartz

Posted: 02:06am 11 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a good primer

Go to here:
https://owasp.org/

Check out "top ten" for the most common types of exploits.

Also , you may check out their zed tool. This is an interesting program. Some years back I used its API to write a pretty exhaustive programmable site vulnerability scanner.

Will add to this post more later as I think I know of another tool you can use and I need to track that down.

Hope this helps.
Swartz

PS You may want to PM for some details related to your site's architecture as that may a bit more than should be done on a public forum.

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 11 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Swartz,
thanks for the link, I went through top 10 and it looks like nothing from it is direct problem for our site. I can do some small readjustments, but in general is OK.

The one reason is not using of those external frameworks, the are most common source for potential attack, second we are not useing authentisation (and I think we dont't need it).

When you can then later check the site for potential weakness, it will be big help for me.

For the PM - I have not problem with it, but whole project is anyway on the GitHub...
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 02:57pm 11 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I have one suggestion though -- the star ratings as they are are a bit confusing to me. It looks like it's just based on the number of "likes" a project has, but stars are generally associated with the quality of a thing (at least in the US and hotels). This means right now it looks (to me, at least) like we have a bunch of 1- and 2-star quality programs and projects available for CMM2.

I tried to change it a little...
Jiri

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:31pm 17 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jiri,

For existing entries, two screenshots and updated descriptions for your consideration.

"Original game with simple graphics. Notable for its outstanding original mp3 soundtrack by the author TweakerRay on its title screen."

"Rough conversion (by Capsikin) of a version of Space Invaders written for the original Maximite (by Fabrice Muller). The zip file contains multiple versions and it is in need of some TLC."

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-03-18 00:31 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 07:24pm 17 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Hi Jiri,

For existing entries, two screenshots and updated descriptions for your consideration.

Thanks Tom,
updated...
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:54pm 04 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,
CMM2.fun library was updated with possibility to look on items from specific author. On main page just select AUTHORS

You will get list of authors

and with pushing of the name you get the items

Enjoy!
Jiri

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:06pm 04 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Smooth, indeed. Very nice-looking site now, and a great resource.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:58pm 04 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jiri,

I would like to add the Graphics Programming for the CMM2 but the pdf file is 2.2MB in size - too big to upload. Is there another way I can get the file to you?

Regards,
Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Doug,
CMM2.fun is just index, so you should upload just cover photo and link to your book (and of course other informations), PDF should be stored somewhere else.

But I have direct on the server (almost) unlimited space, so if you want, you can send the pdf to me -mail is under JirSoft logo on main CMM2.fun page, add the item without PDF and I will upload it and link it.

I will try to prepare some space for bigger documents with automatic upload possibility...
Jiri

Right now I saw you attached it into forum, just ADD ITEM and the LINK will be link to the forum...
Edited 2021-04-05 22:33 by jirsoft
Jiri

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 08:32am 19 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Added 3 new entries into CMM2.fun, thanks Steven!
M~Berto 0.8 by yock1960 (GAME, updated 19-04-2021 10:17:35)
4 State Linear Automata 1 by yock1960 (GRAPHICS/SCIENCE, updated 19-04-2021 10:15:51)
ThatDiceGame 1 by yock1960 (GAME, updated 19-04-2021 10:15:45)
Jiri

Page 6 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024