Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:54 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Could this work with a H7?

Page 1 of 2    
lew247

Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I love the idea of the stm32H7 but the lack of higher resolutions/video output is offputting
Would this work?

hdmi interface for Arduino

if it works on arduino then shouldn't it be pretty easy to get working with the stm32's? or an I dreaming?

Schematic

github link

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:12pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would work but doesn't seem to exist and would be expensive. The HDMI chip alone  is GBP8.65 on Aliexpress

RetroJoe

Posted: 05:41pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm keeping my eye on this.

@Peter, don't know what your native 3D development plans are for MMBasic (if any), nor if the CMM2 has enough graphical "oomph" to pull this off, but a rotateX (x,y,w,h) and rotateY, a la this CSS 3D transformation would be an awesome tool in the game development toolbox.
Edited 2021-02-13 03:42 by RetroJoe
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:25pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To get you all hot and bothered, the BT81x Series EVE ICs need consideration - that's the chip family in the Gameduino 3 that RetroJoe linked to. Add an ADV7513 for HDMI output and ...
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:07pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  @Peter, don't know what your native 3D development plans are for MMBasic (if any), nor if the CMM2 has enough graphical "oomph" to pull this off, but a rotateX (x,y,w,h) and rotateY, a la this CSS 3D transformation would be an awesome tool in the game development toolbox.

Can you not do this already with two IMAGE WARP commands?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bearing in mind there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of new processors or ones not yet supported by MMBasic, I'm curious what the point is of these posts unless the poster is going to do the work?

John

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Bearing in mind there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of new processors or ones not yet supported by MMBasic, I'm curious what the point is of these posts unless the poster is going to do the work?

John

You mean let MMBasic become like the horrendous mess that is Linux?

RetroJoe

Posted: 08:51pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't say what "the" point is, but my point is to discuss the MCU-based SBC market with like-minded folks. "Man does not live by MMBasic alone". Well, maybe Geoff and Peter do :)

I don't know how TBS became the home of the MaxiMite community, but taking the name of this forum at face value, "Microcontrollers and PCs" seems like a pretty big tent. Is discussing devices other than the canonical MaxiMite family considered off-topic?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:44pm 12 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Is discussing devices other than the canonical MaxiMite family considered off-topic?

Definitely not - it's interesting and informative. What is close to off-topic is the implied suggestion in many posts that every new processor is a candidate for MMbasic with the equally implied suggestion that "someone else" should do the port as the new processor is just perfect for their needs if it only ran MMbasic.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:14am 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1

I love seeing posts about a new device, especially if the device actually does have something novel about it (the ESP8266/32, Pi Pico & the P2 for sure qualify and so do some of the peripheral devices e.g. for video conversion or grabbing).

(I'd also love it if someone decided a specific device would be a great host for MMBasic and wrote the code, as Geoff & Peter have so generously done.)

John

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So, just to be clear:

The MMBasic user exists due to the fact that they don't have the skills/training to write low-level MCU code.
However, if the user would like to see enhancements/improvements, they are expected to acquire the low-level skills to implement the features that would allow them to switch back to using an orders-of-magnitude slower interpreter.

Think I finally got it  

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  However, if the user would like to see enhancements/improvements, they are expected to acquire the low-level skills to implement the features that would allow them to switch back to using an orders-of-magnitude slower interpreter.

When you have implemented as many user request for enhancements as I have you may earn the right to make that comment but I doubt it!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:48pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  So, just to be clear:

The MMBasic user exists due to the fact that they don't have the skills/training to write low-level MCU code.
However, if the user would like to see enhancements/improvements, they are expected to acquire the low-level skills to implement the features that would allow them to switch back to using an orders-of-magnitude slower interpreter.

Think I finally got it  

Certainly an incorrect, and utterly ridiculous, view as far as I'm concerned.

John

RetroJoe

Posted: 12:49pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Tinine, thank you for a LOL moment, and for putting your finger on the source of my cognitive dissonance.

We love MMBasic and the CMM2 precisely because it empowers us to accomplish magical things without being card-carrying coding wizards. That seems very apropos, as it was roughly the idea behind the genesis of the BASIC language itself i.e. teaching programming skills to everyone on campus, not just engineering students.

Some studies have shown that the effective output of "great" coders can be 1000X higher than merely "competent" coders. Being firmly in the latter category, it would delusional for me to undertake porting of MMBasic to a new platform... but that doesn't stop me from being intrigued by the possibilities.

That being said, I have to concur with Peter's sentiment, even though most people succumb to this sort of wishful thinking from time to time.
Edited 2021-02-13 22:57 by RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Posted: 02:03pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said   Can you not do this already with two IMAGE WARP commands?

Not exactly - compressing the image toward an axis is not the same visual effect as rotating around an axis. If you have a few seconds, please try out the various CSS animations linked in my earlier post (just click on each line of example code and it will animate the Firefox "fox" image). You'll notice the effect is that the top of the image tilting toward you while the bottom tilts away from you.

But, at 90 degree rotation around the X axis, the effect is indeed that of a straight horizontal line (like looking edge-on at a photograph...), which is why the IMAGE WARP width parameters can probably approximate this, with some additional coding to accommodate the view plane rotating "around" the axis and reversing the image direction. I'm assuming the width parameters in the WARP commands cannot be negative, but that could be a neat, if semantically awkward, way to specify this. But, a dedicated IMAGE ROTATE command would be even better :)

The other problem I found is that the IMAGE WARP commands produce fairly pixelated results, even in high resolution display modes. I know this is a result of trade-offs between interpolation speed and quality, but if the goal is smooth, life-like animation (e.g. flipping a playing card, or animating a turning page in a book), then the IMAGE WARP algorithms need a way to choose interpolated quality over speed. I can't be sure, but it feels like the IMAGE WARP commands are actually in "FAST" mode, like you've done elsewhere in MMBasic.

Another guess is you are already pretty close to the limit of how much can be accomplished with algorithmic  "pixel banging" on the CMM2 without the benefit of a GPU, so I will continue experimenting with IMAGE WARP.

P.S. I am almost certain the IMAGE WARP documentation is incorrect: the x2,y2 parameters appear to specify the lower left coordinate of the target area, not the top right as stated in the doc.
Edited 2021-02-14 00:03 by RetroJoe

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:29pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At the rate that Pete churns out ever-more powerful platforms, I had the impression that he was on a quest to create the ultimate MMBasic MCU which is why I brought up the P2. I only covered a smattering of its capabilities.

To suggest that I was attempting to coerce the porting of MMBasic for my own needs is ludicrous. I wouldn't have used the forum for that, there would have been direct contact and if there had been any interest, I would expect to be quoted a cost.

I am working with a community member on a multi-processor MX170 board and in one of my early emails, I stated that the one thing that I was uncomfortable with was using a no-cost interpreter.
I exchanged a couple of emails with Geoff to see if there was some way I could pay for my MMBasic. Not a rebranding and I'm not interested in the source.

Geoff flatly refused to accept payment.

I'm not out to take advantage of the hard work of others.  

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 05:04pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  
  JohnS said  Bearing in mind there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of new processors or ones not yet supported by MMBasic, I'm curious what the point is of these posts unless the poster is going to do the work?

John

You mean let MMBasic become like the horrendous mess that is Linux?

So horrible it's running vast amounts of the internet's infrastructure and of course is what got google where they are.

And it's what Android is built from.

Pretty successful for a mess.

John

RetroJoe

Posted: 05:31pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think it's a worthwhile thought experiment to explore the counterfactual "What if Linux was never invented"?

IMHO, life with Linux is infinitely better than without, and has been on the same order of magnitude as Moore's Law in driving down the cost of computing.

No Linux would mean that the "Wintel" cabal would still have a strategic stranglehold and dribble out new feature at any pace they wanted  and  set whatever price points they felt like, and Apple would be even more arrogant (if that is possible) without Android devices to keep them in check.

The only downsides of Linux is that it is indeed nearly impossible to make it viable on the desktop given the massive fragmentation, and we will likely never see another mainstream OS in our lifetimes. Not sure if the latter is a good or bad thing for innovation, though.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:46pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When a free product still plays 2nd fiddle to a paid-for product, I don't call that "successful"

I am by no means a fan of MS but I can be productive with Windows and that pays the bills.

How does Android factor in to the mish-mash of Linux versions?

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:37pm 13 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just because something is common and all over the place doesn't mean it is good.
Compare Covid and UNIX: both are small and simple, making them very portable.

Windows and Unix have similarities too: both are/were available for free with systems/for certain users, resulting in a large number of addicted users.

And Linux is arguably another flavour of Unix.

The UNIX HATERS Handbook, by Garfinkel, Weise, and Strassmann is an entertaining read.

=========
With careful development, MMBasic could become a new operating system - MMBOS. It doesn't matter too much that it is interpreted. So is Python and Java Script. Computers are getting fast enough to allow it.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024