Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:01 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Chip-leg straighteners...Am I the last to know that they even exist?

Page 1 of 2    
Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:47pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just built 5 MuP V2s and I put the female headers on both sides but dammit....getting the MX170 pins lined up
was a biatch  . Definitely not my idea of table-ending  

Took a wild stab in the dark and sure-enough, they exist. Am I the last to know this?

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

nope. I Printed one a few years back. Bright orange so I can find it in my tray of little used tools.

Loads on thingiverse ... the top left one looks like the one I did.

I used one loads 40 years ago when I was employed in hardware design&Build and it was all discrete DRAM chips and 74LSxx stuff (lovely) but lost it... then I went a different way and rarely touched the hardware. In the last 12 years I have revisited my first love semi-professionally and a few years ago I was squeezing a chip against the desk and I suddenly remembered that gadget, quick search on thingiV and behold... two hours diversion later and I have one. It doesn't get a lot of use as most stuff is SMD now but still nice to have around.

It sounds like you don't have one (confused coz the picture looks like a MuP next to one) - PM me if you don't have access to a 3D printer and would like me to make one up for you
Edited 2021-03-08 00:23 by CaptainBoing

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 02:36pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I finally got tired of bending the pins on the table and bought one for myself. Handy to have around.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 04:26pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Me Three !
my site

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 05:02pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  

Took a wild stab in the dark and sure-enough, they exist. Am I the last to know this?

I just learned it from you so you weren't the very last person! Thanks for enlightening me!

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  

It sounds like you don't have one (confused coz the picture looks like a MuP next to one) - PM me if you don't have access to a 3D printer and would like me to make one up for you

Many thanks for the kind offer, Cap'n but that is mine in the photo. I only did two of the five the hard way and waited for the straightener to arrive for the other three chips. Just as the reviewers commented, plop, plop, plop, right in the sockets.
I'm not even going to admit how long it took to do it the hard way  

retepsnikrep

Posted: 06:47pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use pliers or the table..
Gen1 Honda Insights.

circuit

Posted: 07:00pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  

Seems that you might be... and to add to your knowledge the version that I have is similar to yours but connects to earth via one meg. to deal with static discharge.  The chip straightener sits on my antistatic mat; A3 in size and also with a protective earth connection; a connection shared with my static discharge wristband.  

Looking at your picture, I suspect that the screw at the corner is for the static discharge connection.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:12pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

circuit said    

Looking at your picture, I suspect that the screw at the corner is for the static discharge connection.

Ah, thanks  
I was wondering about that screw. It clearly has nothing to do with holding the device together.

rogerdw
Guru

Posted: 10:45pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, I bought one many years ago from Jaycar or somewhere like that and half expected that it would be another of those useless bits of gear that looked like a good idea at the time but ends up with all the other useless gadgets  ...  but I value it highly. Makes such a difference fitting new ICs to sockets etc.

I shifted and misplaced it and was really pleased to find it after some months. Very useful tool to have.

I had no idea it should be attached to my antistatic mat, but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers,  Roger

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 11:01pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good morning all,
If anyone comes across a sensibly priced source can you please let this thread know?
The Jaycar one appears to be discontinued, a good used ebay one has gone, and the RS ones (No 631-3497) are $17.72 incl GST.

Until then the bench will suffice.

Cheers,

Andrew

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:14pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Now that is a blast from the past... I used to use them all the time in the 80s but I would have no idea where to look for mine now..

I usually just hold the chip (by the ends) against the bench top and rotate till they are square then flip the chip over and do it again..  

It is actually quite easy after you have done about 3 million 256 thousand 4 hundred and 52 of them.

Maybe that is why my fingers have calluses...

Regards MICK
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:35pm 07 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have always used the benchtop, sometimes with the antistatic mat but other times, I live dangerously.

Circumstances make  using the correct tool a better choice now.
I have reluctantly ordered one.

I have even started using a resistor leg-bender after 50 years without the need.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:06am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Hi All,

Now that is a blast from the past... I used to use them all the time in the 80s but I would have no idea where to look for mine now..

I usually just hold the chip (by the ends) against the bench top and rotate till they are square then flip the chip over and do it again..  

It is actually quite easy after you have done about 3 million 256 thousand 4 hundred and 52 of them.

Maybe that is why my fingers have calluses...

Regards MICK

Hey man, can't thank you enough for the MuP boards...what a cool little design.
Hey, the new development is headed in a slightly new direction...I was so hell bent on the sexy enclosures but...drove me nuts with the upcoming requirements.
Let me breadboard a bit more and we should be off to the races  

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:19am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Andrew_G said  Good morning all,
If anyone comes across a sensibly priced source can you please let this thread know?
a good used ebay one has gone,
Cheers,

Andrew

You have to get up early to beat me...
Purchased at 7:24 this morning.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

palcal

Guru

Posted: 04:27am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Why aren't they straight when you buy them ???
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 04:45am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
Well done.

That would be the one from Hobart?
I saw it at 03:00 (don't ask) on my iPad and set out to buy it via my PC at 08:00 (I don't like doing eBay on the iPad).

I was wondering why you didn't say where you bought it. You should have it in a day or two (unless it comes on a slow truck).

Cheers,

Andrew

paceman
Guru

Posted: 04:51am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've always wondered about that too Paul. Maybe a 'planned obsolescence' thing - try to straighten it on the desk, stuff it up, try to straighten it, stuff that up too, buy another one!
I've had the same one as in Tinine's photo above for at least ten years. Have used it quite a few times but I confess I mostly use BigMik's naughty method - you do have to be very creful. I reckon if I was making a living out of electronics I'd quickly change my mind and use it all the time.

Greg

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 05:12am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  Why aren't they straight when you buy them ???

I always thought the legs on new dips were bent outward so they would fit snugly into to a dip insertion tool.  Everyone has several different size sets of those... Right?  

I haven't used one of these in years, but they were handy for filling memory cards for IBM XTs and ATs.

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:25am 08 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, got the insertion tool, haven't used it in years. I straighten the pins on the bench as well, seems to be the way to go. Never worn a wrist strap either, I work bare feet on a concrete floor and never had a problem. But there's always next time.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024