Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:24 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Just playing...

Page 2 of 2    
RetroJoe

Posted: 08:52am 26 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very nice!!

I hope the PicoMite and/or a Color PicoMite (with HDMI??) is in our future. Given the general buzz and momentum around the Pico, even in its first generation, it could become a very popular "cheap and cheerful" platform for MMBasic.

This is just conjecture on my part, as my personal MM experience begins and ends with the CMM2 (and my abortive attempt to get an F4 running...), but it sounds like some of the "Mitey veterans" are also intrigued,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been blown away by the quality & quantity of the support & tooling for the Pico in such a short time - it's like the Pico ecosystem was born "all grown up" on Day One.

Peter, do my impressions match your experience in the real world i.e. how hard has been it to port MMBasic to the Pico vis-a-vis other platforms?
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:18am 28 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My GUESS would be it was easier, as the PICO is just the plain ARM processor albeit with some bootloader code in it, so it PROBABLY is easier to port to this, then in any of the other PI's, where you HAVE to use Raspbian OS in order to get access to things like HDMI output and SD card control etc - all hidden behind the binary-blob and the NDA between the foundation and Broadcom for those chips and those setups.

As the PICO does not have any of those kinds of restrictions and no HDMI license to worry about etc, it's just like porting to any other processor family.

I THINK.  

I would also love to hear if it was a mission to port or not.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024