Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:48 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite Alpha Firmware

Page 15 of 17    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:54pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  a13

PicomiteV5.07.00a13.zip

HUMID command working - tested (including DHT22 and DHT11 support), use additional parameter for DHT11  e.g. HUMID pin, temp!, humidity! ,1
TEMPR command and function working - tested

> option reset: flash erase all: var clear: UPDATE FIRMWARE
PicoMite MMBasic Version 5.07.00a13
Copyright 2011-2021 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2021 Peter Mather
> ?tempr(27)
> ?tempr(27)

All good with a13 . . .  but:

PicoMite MMBasic Version 5.07.00a25
Copyright 2011-2021 Geoff Graham
Copyright 2016-2021 Peter Mather

> ?tempr(27)
Error : Invalid configuration

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:28pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

My first Picomite bug(?)

Running a25 - I think - how can I find out for sure, e.g. get the Pico to print the Micromite copyright/banner ? I'm on Linux and as others have reported both PuTTY and GFXterm disconnect when the Pico is reset.

Starting with blank FAT-32 formatted SD card

> files
A:/
0 directories, 0 files
> edit
Print "Hello World"
[F1]
Saved 23 bytes
> list
Print "Hello World"
> save "hello.bas"
Error : A hard error occurred in the low level disk I/O layer
> files
        0  hello.bas
0 directories, 1 file
> list
Print "Hello World"
> save "hello.bas"
> files
       21  hello.bas
0 directories, 1 file
> save "hello.bas"
> files
        0  hello.bas
0 directories, 1 file
> save "hello.bas"
> save "hello.bas"
> save "hello.bas"
> files
       21  hello.bas
0 directories, 1 file

I've seen variations on this including corrupting the SD card filesystem entirely (or at least that bit that the "files" command queries).

I'm using a quality SanDisk SD card - assuming Amazon didn't send me a fake.

I'm using a Maker Pi Pico Rev 1.2 board (same as you I believe).

I'm using these options:
OPTION COLOURCODE ON
OPTION SDCARD GP15
OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,GP11,GP12

I haven't seen any problems reading from the SD Card.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:44pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe power-related?

John

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Maybe power-related?

John

It's being powered by a Pi3 on a good quality USB cable which has been a reliable power-source for my CMM2, so ignorant as I am on the subject I'm still going to put a check in the "unlikely" box.

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I suppose you'll know if you install a25, Tom. :)
I don't think there's an official way to read the alpha version apart from the sign-on message. :(

Grounding RUN will reset the Pico - but apparently will disconnect your USB. Likewise, grounding 3V3EN will also restart, but that's via power off.

Run Tera Term on Windows in a VM? :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:00pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Run Tera Term on Windows in a VM? :)

I'm not sure a 1 GB Pi is up to that ... and in an case a Pi is an ARM and not an x86 machine so I'm not certain how that would work anyway - same problem with running Wine. (Outside my area of expertise though.)

[Edit] Also should we perhaps acknowledge the absurdity of an expectation that users will be hosting their Pico's on Windows and using Tera Term and not, as presumably the Raspberry Pi Foundation would be hoping on Raspberry Pi's. Though the apparent lack of a decent serial terminal emulator is rather damning.    

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-06-13 01:03 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:04pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I suppose you'll know if you install a25, Tom. :)

That just tells me what I think I've installed, it doesn't tell me what is actually running .

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:30pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Run a proper operating system and a proper terminal program and you will see the copyright banner with the version. Note I develop under W10 and I test under W10. That is all I'm ever going to do. If you run Linux or even worse MacOS you are on your own.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:02pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Run a proper operating system ...

As constructive as discussions of the relative merits of the two leading toy operating systems are perhaps we should give it a miss this time

Can anyone confirm the bug I described with the latest alpha and suggest how I should investigate it further.

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:11pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try different CPU speeds. The firmware tries to optimize SD access to the speed. May be too aggressive for your card. Faster may be better than slower

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've had no problems whatsoever with SD card access on a25 under win 10, Tom. I'm afraid that's all the info I have. I'm using:
OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP2, GP3, GP0
OPTION SDCARD GP1
OPTION CPUSPEED 250000

I've had the same SD card running on my other Pico but I had to drop CPUSPEED tp 200000 as it locks up if it is asked to run faster.

It's not going to be possible to see the sign on message, I don't think. There's no TTL serial console on the Pico. I can only suggest loading a25 over whatever you have in now so that you *will* know what's running. Just use XMODEM if necessary to save anything important in flash first.
Mick

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:51pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  BTW, with the PicoMite - are the serial port buffers fixed, or can they be defined as in the other MMBASIC series of chips?  Output buffer is fixed at 255 bytes in all the other chips I think, so just the input buffer is all I care about adjusting.  If the input buffer is going to be fixed in the PicoMite, I can still live with that.

At present, with a25, it appears that you have to use SETPIN again if you have closed the com port. The top of the program had: SetPin 1,uart0tx:SetPin 2,uart0rx

Opening COM for ESP-01
Reopening COM for ESP-01 as #9 for html simulation
[176] Open "com0:115200,4096" As #9
Error : Pins not set for UART0
> Open "com0:115200" As #9
> SetPin 1,uart0tx:SetPin 2,uart0rx
> close 9
> Open "com0:115200,4096" As #9
> SetPin 1,uart0tx:SetPin 2,uart0rx
> Open "com0:115200,4096" As #9

PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After a number of cycles with "AUTOSAVE", I got "not enough memory". I power-cycled and did AUTOSAVE with the same program, and it worked. Perhaps a memory leak with some actions--easily enough overcome  with the power cycle.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I setup my Pico on my Win10 machine and now I have moved to my Linux machine in my workshop. All works ok but I can't load new firmware, the Pico shows up but I cant mount and open it. Can someone run me through how it is done.
Edit. I'm no Linux expert, rather new to it.
Edited 2021-06-13 08:19 by palcal
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:36pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  I setup my Pico on my Win10 machine and now I have moved to my Linux machine in my workshop. All works ok but I can't load new firmware, the Pico shows up but I cant mount and open it. Can someone run me through how it is done.
Edit. I'm no Linux expert, rather new to it.

On Raspbian (which is a Linux) you hold down the bootloader button and plug in the USB. The Pico mounts as a flash drive and the file explorer opens up. You drop in the new firmware and the Pico unmounts and restarts. I'm guessing you are seeing none of that? What flavor of Linux are you running?

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:50pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Try different CPU speeds. The firmware tries to optimize SD access to the speed. May be too aggressive for your card. Faster may be better than slower

A brief test shows it seems to work at 250 MHz, thanks. Given that this can apparently screw the whole filesystem if "wrong" it may need more attention.

Oh, and I was running a25, I have a Win10 machine in my study/office but I don't like to use it for my hobbying as that is too much like real work.

Best wishes,

Tom

palcal

Guru

Posted: 12:04am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,  Thanks I thought that is what I did the first time. Tried again and all is OK.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:14am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

An HTML Server on the PicoMite

This htmlserver.bas was first written for the 64-pin MM+ in 2017. The biggest thing that has changed since in the MMBasic used is the syntax for longstrings. On the MM+ they were implemented by Peter Mather using CSUBs. When he incorporated them into the MMX & subsequent (Armmite, CMM2), he changed to more informative command names.

I spent the day today converting it. The surprising thing to me is that everything worked except for reading a DS18B20 (which I'm sure will work again when Peter gets back and figures out what he did between a13, when TEMPR worked, and a25, when it doesn't).

The program is 990 lines long, 33,548 characters. This is a pretty good workout for the PicoMite, and a tribute to Peter for the work he has done bringing it to this point. I did find some instances where the Picomite couldn't handle long lines with which the MM+ had no problem.

The web connection is using an ESP-01 in AT mode with SDK version 2.0. The original HTML server framework was first published by Peter Mather here (MM2: webserver with AT mode ESP8266).

This instance of the program is a work in progress. I don't remember all that I was doing in 2017, and some things don't work as I supposed they should. Nonetheless it does show what can be done in this line. The program has no guts--that is, it doesn't have the code to actually control a geothermal heating and cooling system based on the inputs. It's original intention was to provide a way to input simulated sensor readings in order to exercise the actual control code.

Code and the needed HTML template file are in the attached zip.

htmlserver.zip

Output of MEMORY:

> memory
Program:
 30K (30%) Program (989 lines)
 50K (70%) Free

RAM:
 41K (36%) 175 Variables
  3K ( 2%) General
 68K (62%) Free
>

~
Edited 2021-06-13 11:35 by lizby

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 07:43pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Run a proper operating system and a proper terminal program and you will see the copyright banner with the version. Note I develop under W10 and I test under W10. That is all I'm ever going to do. If you run Linux or even worse MacOS you are on your own.

Geez ....  
my site

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:59pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It might sound a bit like Linus Torvolds, but it's fair enough. :) In this particular case the problem isn't with the Pico or MMBasic - you'd have the same problem with anything that boots via serial USB.

Once PEEK() is working we might be able to find out where the header text is stored.
Mick

Page 15 of 17    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024