Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:53 30 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HMI monitoring solar charging based on arduino

Page 2 of 2    
Davo99
Guru

Posted: 01:29pm 12 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mason said   if you have a recommendation for suitable solar panels can also give me a link, thank you!

At this stage your first post reads more like an introduction to a university Thesis. Pretty dam sure everyone knows how solar panels work, what a Uno  and a lithium battery is without having to provide links!  ARE you putting something together for school or Uni cause that's the impression this gives?

Your second post contains no information on what you are actually trying to accomplish other than monitoring presumably the charging of a Lipo battery.  

If you want feedback to help you, you will first need to help yourself by giving sufficient details so people know what you are trying to accomplish and what the end goal is.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:00pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's a link which includes a comparison of U.S. rooftop solar costs with Australian.

"Residential solar costs an average of $3.30/watt in the United States, more than twice as much as in other leading solar countries. In Australia, the cost is only $1.10/watt, and 29 percent of Australian homes have rooftop solar."

Panel costs are only part of the difference, but they are a significant part.

In a solar-appropriate location, I would happily pay $1.10 per watt for 4KWs worth of solar, plus the additional significant cost to have battery backup. But 3 times that amount--not so much.

~
Edited 2021-07-24 01:01 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 08:04am 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  

"Residential solar costs an average of $3.30/watt in the United States, more than twice as much as in other leading solar countries. In Australia, the cost is only $1.10/watt, and 29 percent of Australian homes have rooftop solar."

~

Not sure what your point is?
You have repeatedly said that you just want panels to experiment with. You have indicated you are after used panels so what has the cost of grid tied new installs got to do with the price of Haddock in Gdansk?

The figure of $1.10 is inaccurate anyway. Maybe they are averaging system prices but a decent mid range system is more like .50C/ watt here installed. I sell 5Kw of used panels  with a brand new 4 Kw inverter for $1300. People can recoup their investment in 2, maybe 3 billing quarters.  

There are cheap, used panels available in the states so I fail to see the relevance of the cost of new installs when you only want some panels to play around with. If you only want something for battery charging, just go buy a couple of used 250's  and an inverter and you will be able to power something useful.

Things are picking up here. Made 52 Kwh today and don't even have many panels up atm.
Next month will be about a 20% generation increase over this month.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:25pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  There are cheap, used panels available in the states so I fail to see the relevance of the cost of new installs when you only want some panels to play around with

So you said, but when asked for links to specific examples of cheap, used panels (or inexpensive, new panels) in the U.S. by the original poster and by me, no response.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:41pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like a very good deal, Dave99. A new Sungrow 4kW inverter (Chinese - not one of the greatest makes) is about 654.00UKP plus another 20% VAT here - the equivalent of 1464.00AUD. No panels of any sort in that price.

Our solar stuff isn't cheap - and you don't get a great return on it in the UK. There are very few s/h solar panels around - and only if you go to collect them yourself even if you find any at all.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 09:34pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  Davo99 said  There are cheap, used panels available in the states so I fail to see the relevance of the cost of new installs when you only want some panels to play around with

So you said, but when asked for links to specific examples of cheap, used panels (or inexpensive, new panels) in the U.S. by the original poster and by me, no response.

Firstly, The OP did NOT ask for links to Cheap panels in the US. That is a figment of your imagination. I suggest you read what he did write slowly and carefully, spelling each word out if necessary so you can hopefully comprehend what he did say which I did address.

Secondly, I am under no obligation to spend my time doing research for you or anyone else they can get of their backsides and do for themselves. Given your repeated indignant and abusive attitude towards others here and demonstrated delicate sensibilities, I certainly have no motivation or inclination to assist you either.

Thirdly, if you are incapable of performing a straightforward search on fleabay for items YOU want, then without doubt, you are also lacking sufficient skills and cognitive abilities for the wiring up and safe use of said panels without posing a danger to yourself or more importantly, others around you. I recommend you avoid such activities that are demonstrably beyond your skill level.

I suggest you invest the time to learn how to use ebait yourself as it would be a basic skill set that once mastered, will serve you well in many other areas of life. Fleabay have many online tutorials so perhaps there is one there that will show you how to look for items.
On Reflection, that too is likely beyond your abilities so maybe you could just pay a local 8-10 Yo kid to teach you in exchange for some pocket money I am sure they would be glad of.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99, I don't see where lizby said what you claim but more importantly I don't see why you are so nasty!!

lizby seems to me to be a helpful & useful forum member with a good track record...

John
Edited 2021-07-26 07:44 by JohnS

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 11:44pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Sounds like a very good deal, Dave99. A new Sungrow 4kW inverter (Chinese - not one of the greatest makes) is about 654.00UKP plus another 20% VAT here - the equivalent of 1464.00AUD. No panels of any sort in that price.

That is not out of line with what one would normally pay here.
The inverters I have are a Lot of new old stock that were imported but then fell off the approval list. Nothing wrong with them, the list is rotated every month and once  posed as a safety approvals list, I think they ran out of stupid excuses to terminate approvals so now everything far as I know is given a 2 year approval and that's it... after " certification" is paid for of course.  

These inverters, JFY branded, were installed by the thousand as Original Equipment till the approvals were pulled when my supplier had just landed 2 Containers of the things. I think he thought it was Christmas when I came along and started buying them 5 at a time when he hadn't sold any in months.

I have been using a couple of them for about 18 Months and while not one of the greatest or most fully featured inverters, I have had Zero trouble and think they work quite well. The bottom line for me is for the price, they repay themselves quickly and would give good life beyond that.  From what I have read on them, some people say they only got 3 years out of one, some say they have had theirs 8 and still going fine.

It's hard to get precise Details but I believe location plays a big part in longevity. My neighbour for instance has his inverters on the wall that cops all the sun. I have looked at his system and the inverters were literally too hot to hold your hand on.  OTOH, Friends of mine that have recently had systems installed at my suggestion had them installed in a Garage where they are shaded and almost always in a cooler environment than that outside.

I put the one in my fathers place in the machinery shed where it is shaded and gets good air flow besides the fan I installed and my own is outside, under cover and shaded.  I run a cooling fan that is solar powered over the thing so it is well cooled beyond the capabilities of the passive heatsink which I think is inadequate especially in summer here. Keeping any electronics cool is a big factor in longevity  so I am expecting a good life time out of all my inverters.

If someone wants something with WIFI and all the be bells and whistles, these units  would not be suitable but for a basic DIY install, I think they fit the bill. I think they can do wired monitoring and settings can be changed through the RSJ port but they function just fine for me as is.

It is not Kosher to do ones own solar setup here with all our self serving industry rules and regs nor use used panels so the fact the inverters are now non approved is of little consequence.  I sell them for " Off grid" Grid applications but what people do with them when out of my control is up to them. The feed back I have got is everyone is very satisfied so far and I have a couple of referred customers as well which is always a good sign. The only thing wrong with these units is they are not on some list now.

Quote  Our solar stuff isn't cheap - and you don't get a great return on it in the UK. There are very few s/h solar panels around - and only if you go to collect them yourself even if you find any at all.

Never been to the UK but from what I have seen and heard from the many married in Poms in the family, ( and how easily they have got sun stroke here) I can see that there would be differences in the viability thereof.

I think it's like anything, one has to make the most of the resources available to them in their location. I would love a property with a Micro Hydro setup as I see so many examples of in parts of the US and Canada and also in the UK and Scotland but being the Driest Country on earth,  Suitable locations are not that prevalent.
Much easier here to knock over some trees and put up panels! :0)

I did find a place last year that had a 6M waterfall and a suitable location for a home very close by. I loved it but for some reason, the mrs wasn't keen on going and living in a tent for a year or so while we got something built in the literal middle of no where.  I even promised to teach her how to Drive the Bulldozer we would need to cut a road into the place and do other clearing but she seemed more interested in having hot and cold running water and a flush toilet.

Good woman but has her funny little quirks like that.....

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 11:50pm 25 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Davo99, I don't see where lizby said what you claim but more importantly I don't see why you are so nasty!!

That's Ok, I know others will understand. I am just a terrible nasty person so it's par for the course.  

Quote  lizby seems to me to be a helpful & useful forum member with a good track record...

John

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.  Clearly you haven't seen all his past posts though and the way he has berated other members.

I stand by what I said.

bob.steel

Posted: 08:26am 26 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mason said  

2. STONE serial touch screen

3. Arduino UNO

4. Lithium battery charging board

5. Lithium battery

Don't understand why in this day people can't link directly to the item they mean .?

bob.steel

Posted: 08:35am 26 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Look around on ebay,aliexpress ,craigslist or gumtree , some of the ones I know here.
Second hand is the way to go for learning . Lots of cheap 250 watt panels coming off roofs to be replaced with 380 watt panels so they are cheap and you get the hardware too usually. I have not seen a bad panel yet of this ilk.

I used the charger board link and got
AliExpressElectronic...Active...Integrated..."battery charger board" (4950 Results)
Edited 2021-07-26 18:36 by bob.steel

Mason

Posted: 06:31am 26 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the advice, I still know too little about solar energy, and while my idea looks good, I may have to learn the basics first.

Another idea I had in this area was about PV inverters, which I've been hearing about all the time lately.

I think I need to learn a little bit about solar and light energy before I start this project.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:49am 26 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just in case you didn't realise, there's a lot of activity on solar here on TBS.

John
Edited 2021-08-26 16:49 by JohnS

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:42am 26 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mason said  

I think I need to learn a little bit about solar and light energy before I start this project.

Still got no idea what the project is or what you were actually trying to do or accomplish with it?

Solar is not at all hard and there is endless info about it on the web. I got into it about 5-6 years ago and am pretty comfortable with it now. It's very straightforward really.  I learned a lot from the web and a Hell of a lot more by getting my hands dirty, playing with it and seeing what was true and what was BS.... and there is a lot of Puristic BS on the net but you can learn to walk before you run with it and then sort it out.

Lot of people seem to have a thing for learning themselves and doing anything hands on these days as if it was too much trouble when they are the ones that want to know.  Seen that before in many interests I have had. They just want all the answers given to them on a plate and can't even be bothered to write questions and pertinent information correctly so anyone can help them.

My suggestion would be get some ( Decent) panels, a charge controller, an old car battery, something for a load and go from there. My first setup was with bunch of 175 Panels, a 30A PWM charge Controller ( which is still going well charging batteries up the back off a shattered 400W panel) A 2KW  24V inverter which I powered a Fridge and a hot water urn from.  I later added in a UPS for fun I powered off the panels and batteries.

Having loads like that teaches you a lot about consumption and generation and what it takes to keep things running.  I had a PWM controller on the Urn to limit the power and used to turn it down to about 50W output. That gave enough power to keep the water on the boil and when I wanted a coffee through the day I went out and cranked it up a bit and in about 15 sec, was on a rolling boil and made my Coffee... with milk from the fridge it was sitting on.

Even my wife used to tell people how we ran the fridge over 6 months of the year totally off solar power.

Very cheap and simple thing but was a great boost to the learning curve and taught me a lot.  From there was easy to start putting panels on the house and wiring up GTI's.
Did that as soon as we moved here and the bill has always been a fraction of what anyone elses around is even though we use a LOT of power being all electric.

I have also played a lot with powering things off panels direct which is also very interesting and knowledgeable people here  have given me a lot of insight into that as well.

Solar is fun as there is so much you can do and learn with it if you are so inclined.
There is a lot I have learned with it but a lot I also don't bother with because I make so much power to offset my grid use it's just easier to go with that.
I am learning and working towards going off grid though as I have grave reservations about our power supply here and predict mass shortages in the next 5 years.

I intend to be ready to go self sufficient at very short notice when it becomes necessary. Thinking I might throw $500 or so at a Hybrid type inverter so I can learn more about those and also have that figured out and ready. Then all I'd need is a battery pack and I'm good to go it alone.

If that was ones intention, would not take long to learn how to do it from a standing start if that was what one wanted to do and spent some time on the net reading and learning.  So much info on the net and so many people able to help on sites like this.

Mason

Posted: 06:16am 30 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, you are really very friendly people, helping me with such patience.
I am now starting to feel confused about the project I want to do. I started out with the intention of monitoring the change in power level when solar charging and displaying it on the LCD. Then use the buttons on the LCD to terminate charging or some other function.
But now I think it's too easy. What you said about keeping the water boiling made me very interested.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024