Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:06 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Yellow River Kingdom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:34pm 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to present my port of "Yellow River Kingdom" to the Colour Maximite 2:

https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-kingdom/releases/latest

The original version of Yellow River Kingdom was an edutainment title included on the BBC Micro Welcome Tape/Disc and is a variant on the classic Hamurabi game.

It was (c) BBC Soft, 1981 and written by Tom Hartley, Jerry Temple-Fry and Richard G Warner.

I like to think that every British child in the 80's and early 90's would either have played this game or at least watched someone else play it on their school BBC Micro - often, at least early on, there was only one BBC Micro per school and it was wheeled from classroom to classroom on a special trolley along with its obligatory CUB Microtech monitor.

This implementation generates graphics on both the VGA and Serial Console. The best Serial Console display is obtained using Tera Term with the CMM2 font installed.

I think it's worth 10 minutes of anyone's time to give this classic title a spin, YMMV.

For those who can't be bothered here are some screen-shots (from Tera Term):

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-11 22:54 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:05pm 18 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now available on the PicoMite via the serial console:

https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-kingdom/blob/main/kingdom_pico.bas

This is transpiled from the same source (now with some annotations/directives) as the CMM2 version and demonstrates the high compatibility between the CMM2 and PicoMite versions of MMBasic - thank you Peter.

EDIT: It's probably possible to have a single source that runs on both CMM2 (with VGA support) and PicoMite without transpiling by using IF MM.INFO$(DEVICE). However since I needed to inline #INCLUDE statements anyway and I have other projects that are going to run closer to the PicoMite's memory limit it made more sense to go straight to transpilation.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-19 00:39 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024