Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:11 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite V5.07.00b0 - beta firmware

Page 4 of 13    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 22 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  V5.07.00b5

Any hope for this: Since the fault in the ILI9488 MISO drive prevents BLIT READ, could we have a BLIT LOAD # to perform the work of LOAD IMAGE and BLIT READ?

BLIT LOAD # "file.bmp"
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:34am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

panky said  Hi All,

Beta 5 does not come up as a link for me - anyone else have this problem?

Doug.

Nope, same problem here. I was bust prifrodding th dok file though so I didn' botter much too about it.

:)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:54am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

V5.07.00b5

PicoMiteV5.07.00b5.zip

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:01am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A question for those who play with servos...
Rather than using PWM, could you use SETTICK to trigger the start of all servos then use PULSE for each servo pin that you want? The period of the SETTICK gives you the start of every "field" and the pulse length gives you the position. That way you can have a servo on every DOUT if you want, there's no limitation placed by the number of PWM ports. It seems a logical way to do things to me as AFAIK the servos aren't terribly bothered about frequency, it's the mark-space ratio.

EDIT: Just been playing...

Setpin GP25 dout
Settick 20, servo

k=90 'set the angle in degrees from 0-180
p=1+(k/180)

do
loop

sub servo
pulse gp25, p
end sub

It seems to work nicely. :)  I don't have a servo to play with though.
Something caught me out - if you use Input k in the loop it doesn't work because the Settick interrupt isn't called while Input is waiting. I'd forgotten that.

EDIT - formula fixed. Now gives 1ms-2ms at 20ms intervals, with 1.5ms at 90 degrees
Edited 2021-07-23 19:14 by Mixtel90
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:59am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mixtel

Your Tinam (this Is Not A Manual) document comes pretty close to becoming one.
I had problems opening the RTF on my old Linux machine, but converted it to PDF on windows, and then used the PDF.

Some remarks:
1/ CPU speed default is 125000, range is 48000 to 250000, anything above 133000 is overclocking the chip.
2/ If you put the OPTIONS also in a table that improves readability.
3/ There are 3 table entries for Setpin. Maybe move these together (relocate the ON KEY and VAR SAVE blocks).
4/ Bitbang has no explanation of n and transitions
5/ some more are missing all explanation...understood, this is WIP....

@Matherp

In reading though the list I noticed some commands differ from the MMBasic standard, as set by Geoff. i.e. you used Bitbang Humid, where Geoff uses Humid. Maybe these can be aligned so the picomite comes more in line with the MM2 and MM+ microcontrollers. Rather loose compatibility with flagships CMM2 and CMM2 gen2, then drift away from the de-facto microcontroller standard MX170.

I wish you all a good holiday,

Volhout
Edited 2021-07-23 19:59 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:12am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll have another look at it in a little while. :)

SETPIN does actually have slightly different functions, that in particular is why the assignment pit is separate. I was also stuck with an editor that doesn't seem to let you create new rows in an existing table.  :(

Most commands are either completely missing or have bits of explanation missing. This doesn't bother me for this particular document. :) I don't actually know how some of the commands work, never having used them and not having my CMM2 set up.
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:29am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Maybe these can be aligned so the picomite comes more in line with the MM2 and MM+ microcontrollers.

Which commands would you like me to drop to make space in the command table? ADC?  

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:25am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

NO, do not remove ADC, at least not until I have tested it properly...

Commands:

There are some duplicates:
Else If and ElseIF
End If and EndIf

Then there are some that may be combined
Exit
Exit Do
Exit For
Exit Sub
Exit Function
(I am sure the difference is what they pull from the stack, but maybe they can be combined).

And some things I have at home, but do not use, like "Cat"

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:30am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  There are some duplicates:
Else If and ElseIF
End If and EndIf

Are there? Why not try using both in the editor and then do a list

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:45am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Any hope for this: Since the fault in the ILI9488 MISO drive prevents BLIT READ, could we have a BLIT LOAD # to perform the work of LOAD IMAGE and BLIT READ?

I'm just too nice to you lot  

V5.07.00b6

PicoMiteV5.07.00b6.zip

BLIT LOAD [#]n, "filename" [,xstart] [,ystart] [,xlen] [,ylen]

This loads into blit buffer n the image from filename. The image must be a 24-bit bmp.
The optional parameters specify the start position in the image to load from and the width and height to load.

so:

BLIT LOAD #1,"image1", 50,50,100,100

will load an area of 100 pixels square with the top left had corner at 50,50 from the image image1.bmp

BLIT LOAD #1,"image2"

will load the entire file image2.bmp assuming there is enough memory available.
Edited 2021-07-23 21:51 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:50am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I'm just too nice to you lot  

This is true, which makes me even more self-conscious about asking what's the story about increasing the number of supported Subs/Functions ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:59am 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  what's the story about increasing the number of supported Subs/Functions ?

I'm getting very tight on memory without reducing the program and variable sizes but I'll see what I can do - 256 enough?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:03pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  what's the story about increasing the number of supported Subs/Functions ?

I'm getting very tight on memory without reducing the program and variable sizes but I'll see what I can do - 256 enough?

256 would be wonderful and I'd still be happy if I only got 128 and needed to work within that limitation.

64 is just too tight for portability between the CMM2 and the PicoMite, though I managed it with the original Z-MIM on the CMM1 which has the same limitation - which came as a nasty shock and needed a considerable rewrite when I first found out about it.

Thank you,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-23 22:13 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Volhout

I'm sticking with my decision on SETPIN in this doc. What will happen in the eventual manual I don't know as it's unlikely to be my decision. :)

SETPIN pin, cfg [,option]
Setting up the pin mode

SETPIN pin, cfg, target [, option]
Setting up an interrupt for a pin

SETPIN pin, device
Allocating the pin to an on-chip device

are sufficiently different to keep them apart, I think.

I've fixed CPUspeed and put the Options in a table.

If people want to know about Bitbang I'm afraid they are going to have to read a manual. ;)  I only included it because Humid became Bitbang Humid. That's a decision I'm happy to support as it is a bitbang device. All the other platforms are wrong. :)

Note that this doc isn't compiled from any of the original manual files - I'm doing it from scratch and (mostly) only putting in stuff that has appeared during PicoMite development. e.g. the fonts are listed because Peter announced that it now had the same 7 fonts as the CMM2.

I've no idea what Memory Copy and Memory Set do. I've no idea if Autorun On does anything on the PicoMite either.
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:19pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  There are some duplicates:
Else If and ElseIF
End If and EndIf

Are there? Why not try using both in the editor and then do a list

I just looked at "list commands" and noticed the duplicates in the 129 commands supported. Was afraid they would eat up precious command slots in the parser. The editor uses the 2 word version i.e. "End If".

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  I've no idea what Memory Copy and Memory Set do ...

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12998&PID=158397#158397

They were also missing from the initial 5.07 CMM2 manual, but Geoff may have fixed that since.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-23 22:23 by thwill

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   I've no idea if Autorun On does anything on the PicoMite either.

Yes you do  
https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=13849&P=3

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  @Volhout

If people want to know about Bitbang I'm afraid they are going to have to read a manual. ;)  I only included it because Humid became Bitbang Humid. That's a decision I'm happy to support as it is a bitbang device. All the other platforms are wrong. :)

Hi Mixtel90,

I immensely appreciate the effort you took to create some form of guide to use the picomite. And it is your work. I will not criticize it, not the slightest.

Just want to explain where my concern with HUMID comes from.
Look at the SD card as example. It has controlled using SPI, then this proved not to be reliable, and Peter reverted to bitbanging the SD card. The SPI and bitbanging are just software implementations to communicate with the SD card. We are not changing the SD card commands to "bitbang files", "bitbang load "example.bas"". Why is HUMID changed into BITBANG HUMID ? Maybe in the low level drivers Peter uses bitbang, but in essence we read humidity. Same for WS2812. I do understand the existence of the generic "bitbang xx.xx.xx" command to send bitstreams. It has to have a name, why not use bitbang.

But under all this there may be a good reason to do it this way. Maybe the WS2812 and HUMID are special configurations of the generic BITBANG command. Similar there is the OneWire function, and the TEMPR(), a special config of the OneWire read.

Anyway, it is up to Peter to decide what to do with them. Het has better knowledge of all the MMBasic platforms, and how to maintain compatibility between them. And compatibility is great, in example my Backpack Tracer program only needed an addition of a F4 and Pico configuration, and is running accross MX170, F4, PicoMite without any changes. (appart from the use of ADC as a variable).

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:49pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  But under all this there may be a good reason to do it this way.

By making HUMID a sub-command of BITBANG Peter is able to multiplex one of the command slots. It's the same with all the MATH commands, they only take up one slot instead of 10 (?) Until/unless the underlying MMBasic architecture is rewritten to remove the 128 command + 128 function limitation (which would no doubt break a lot of existing code) Peter has to compromise with tricks like this.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-23 22:50 by thwill

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:53pm 23 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I'm just too nice to you lot  

Ever grateful.  
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Page 4 of 13    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024