Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:45 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite V5.07.00b0 - beta firmware

Page 7 of 13    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:08am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

Apologies for not having had an opportunity to check, but did one of the recent betas get the increased number of user functions/subs you suggested might be possible ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:11am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  I hope Peter will reconsider his decision not to put keyboard functionality and SERIAL CONSOLE into the firmware as is available on the other Mites:

Possibly this should be a separate thread, but presumably if you were so inclined two Pico's could be coupled with one implementing a Console for the other ... but would they need to somehow share ownership of the SPI display ?

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:33am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Apologies for not having had an opportunity to check, but did one of the recent betas get the increased number of user functions/subs you suggested might be possible ?

Current status is that all function slots are used and there are 2 free command slots. The CMM2 creates more function slots by changing things like MM.ERRNO to mm.info(errno) as it tokenises the program. You don't see this because you are always editing the disk image. I could do the same on the PicoMite but it would really change the user's program (like EXIT DO/EXIT). What is the reason for the question?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:38am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Apologies for not having had an opportunity to check, but did one of the recent betas get the increased number of user functions/subs you suggested might be possible ?

Current status is that all function slots are used and there are 2 free command slots. The CMM2 creates more function slots by changing things like MM.ERRNO to mm.info(errno) as it tokenises the program. You don't see this because you are always editing the disk image. I could do the same on the PicoMite but it would really change the user's program (like EXIT DO/EXIT). What is the reason for the question?

Thanks Peter, that wasn't my question - I'm not that brave

I was asking about USER functions/subs, currently 64, when I asked a couple of pages back you suggested there was a possibility of 128/256 ?

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:43am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I increased it to 256 by decreasing the maximum GOSUB to 64

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:44am 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I increased it to 256 by decreasing the maximum GOSUB to 64

Many thanks - wow, MMBasic has GOSUB, how quaint .

Best wishes,

Tom

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:01pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  Quote  I hope Peter will reconsider his decision not to put keyboard functionality and SERIAL CONSOLE into the firmware as is available on the other Mites:

Possibly this should be a separate thread, but presumably if you were so inclined two Pico's could be coupled with one implementing a Console for the other ... but would they need to somehow share ownership of the SPI display ?

Best wishes,

Tom

Actually the F4 would be better (and probably less expensive) than two Picos, and has more pins available, and more LCD options, but the Pico makes for such a tidy little package that I had hoped . . .

~
Edited 2021-07-30 22:02 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oi! I happen to like GOSUB. It's a reet proper command, not one of these new-fangled things. ;)
Useful for converting old programs.

Thanks for the update, Peter. The RESTORE <variable> has come in useful in a way that I didn't originally envisage. Now you can pass the label for a DATA block to a sub or function very neatly.
Edited 2021-07-30 22:18 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Oi! I happen to like GOSUB. It's a reet proper command, not one of these new-fangled things. ;)
Useful for converting old programs.

If only the firmware licensing terms allowed forks then we could have an "MMBasic (Northern)" version ... with a line-editor instead of a full-screen editor. Just kidding, I'm "Northern" myself and proud of it.

Best wishes,

Tom

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:55pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Tom

OPTION MODE NORTHERN

>e'dit

print "Eh up world!"

>RUN
Tha what? Is't tha jokin'?

(sorry, Peter - couldn't resist. :) )
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:02pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Peter,

Thanks for fixing the ADC !

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:42pm 30 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Small piece of demo code for the ADC and FFT in the pico. In the end this will become a mains power analyzer. Waveforms plot on ILI9341 LCD. Uses the PWM output as a signal generator for the ADC. With a 10k/10n low pass filter in between the square wave will be rounded.

' test ADC burst read and fft
' connect ADC input to PWM output using RC filter to create triangle-ish wave
' PWM = 400Hz
' ADC takes 512 samples for fft, sampling 10 cycles

pwm_freq = 400
samples = 511
adc_freq = pwm_freq*samples/10 '10 cycles
gain = MM.VRes/(3.3*2)         'waveform gain
'fftgn = MM.VRes/(3.3*samples) 'fft gain in linear mode

'reserve memory
Dim array!(samples),fftarr!(samples)

'open PWM(GP18) and ADC(GP26)
SetPin GP18,pwm1A
SetPin GP26,ain
ADC open adc_freq, 1, ready_int

'start PWM
PWM 1,pwm_freq,50   ' 50% = square wave
Pause 100

'start ADC
ADC start array!()

Do :Loop
End

'when all samples are measured we end up here.
Sub ready_int
 ADC close
 CLS

'plot input waveform
 For i=0 To samples-1
   'Print Str$(array!(i),2,2),
   x=i*MM.HRes/samples
   Line x,gain*array!(i),x+1,gain*array!(i+1),1,RGB(yellow)
 Next i

'DO FFT
 Math fft magnitude array!(),fftarr!()

'convert to log
 For i=0 To samples
   fftarr!(i)=20*Log(fftarr!(i))/Log(10)
 Next i
 fftgn = 2  'gain or displaying the fft in the plot window, roughly

'plot fft waveform
 For i=0 To samples/2
   Print Str$(fftarr!(i),2,2),
   x=i*2*MM.HRes/samples
   Line x,240-fftgn*fftarr!(i),x+1,240-fftgn*fftarr!(i+1),1,RGB(red)
 Next i

Print "ready"
 End
End Sub

PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:57pm 02 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ matherp

I know I've asked this before...
Would it be possible to read GP24? It's only a digital input on the chip
(AFAIK) but throws an error. It should read high when VBUS is present.
Mick

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:46pm 03 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Big release today. :)

The latest version of the PIO programming package. I think this is pretty functional now, but I should perhaps do more with the state machine registers. I'm considering a separate module to view and set values in them, returning hex values for each register.
PIO programming package 010.zip

The latest version of the PicoMite TINAM doc. This now includes the PIO doc, which I won't now be supporting as a separate entity unless it's decided to split it away from the manual.
PicoMite TINAM doc 0803.zip
Mick

paceman
Guru

Posted: 11:14am 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I received my first RPi Pico yesterday and loaded it up with Peter's "PicoMiteV5.07.00b9.uf2" firmware as per Mixtel90's TINAM manual on my Win7/64 system. All seemed to load well first time and the LED started doing it's  flashing 1s ON/1s OFF thing so I assumed it had loaded properly. I then disconnected the USB cable and a couple of minutes later reconnected it.
The flashing then automagically started nicely again so I fired up TeraTerm to use as the console. TeraTerm didn't auto-connect (not a surprise) but when I ran "Device Manager" and checked "Ports" to find the correct COM port to apply to it, no new COM ports had been installed.
I think I'm missing something obvious here, like should I install a special 2040 USB driver from somewhere (and at what baud rate), or am I just "doing it all wrong"

Greg

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:31am 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the PicoMite LED is flashing then the program is in and running.
With it plugged in:
Start Tera Term.
Go to Setup / Serial port. You should see a Com port listed. Don't do anything to it, just accept it.
You should get a blank screen. Press Enter and you should see the ">" prompt. You are in. :)

Tera Term *never* connects automatically from switch-on. It does auto-connect after a firmware update though.

I'm a little concerned that you are using a Win 7/64 system. I can't verify what's happening as I can't get that setup.
Mick

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:46am 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try here

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said   but when I ran "Device Manager" and checked "Ports" to find the correct COM port to apply to it, no new COM ports had been installed.
Greg

The pico doesn't like enumerating if there is other activity on the USB hub.
In my case, I have to put the pico on a separate hub to the CMM2 (or turn the CMM2 off) if I want to see the pico.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:11pm 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter - thanks for that, looks like there is another driver required with Win7, 8.1 and XP. Also a fair bit of modification of the .inf file too. I'll mull have another go tomorrow.

Jim - I don't have anything else running Jim but I tried another physical port on the notebook anyway - no go.

Mick - looks like TINAM might need extra explanation for people using Win7, 8.1 and XP. Check out Peter's link. BTW thanks a lot for your work on TINAM, it sure beats wading thru all the Pico development posts each time you're unsure.

Greg

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 02:28pm 04 Aug 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If people want info on running the PicoMite with other platforms I'm afraid they are going to have to provide me with tested methods of making it work. It's not something I can do myself now. I no longer have any hardware other than an ageing laptop, 2 low-powered fanless PCs, (all running Win 10) and a couple of RPis. None will be moving to Win 11 as none of them will meet the minimum spec. :)  I *might* be able to sort out another laptop, but that'll be reserved for linux if I can.

More news on the PIO software front:

PREDIT will be on its way soon...  The PIO Register Editor.  :)
At the moment it will edit EXECCTRL, SHIFTCTRL and PINCTRL registers for all four of the shift registers for a PIO and give you the hex values for each. All register fields are on screen at the same time, making it easy to see where you are. I want to add a few bells and whistles yet. At the moment this is a stand-alone program and you have to copy the output values to where you want them.

Also attempting to add labels to PASM. At the moment you can put destination labels in and PREVAS will show them in the listing, but you can't use them in instructions.
Mick

Page 7 of 13    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024