Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:33 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite updates digest

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:08pm 10 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Return of the text file! :)

PicoMite Update Digest 10 october.zip
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:28am 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankx

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:01pm 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick. I have only just started to pay attention to the Picomite since I took the "it's a dog" to heart...

Starting to look pretty awesome.

One thing that I haven't seen quoted is maximum baud. Any idea?

I have 3 units sitting on my desk but haven't been there since they arrived.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:26pm 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   have only just started to pay attention to the Picomite since I took the "it's a dog" to heart..

It still is compared to the ESP32 but the history is this -

I did a port to the ESP32 up to and including full Basic support with SDcard and wifi but no other I/O. I wanted to then make the user I/F available through a browser via wifi rather than a serial terminal. This isn't an area I know anything about and don't have the inclination to learn so I proposed off-line a joint effort with someone who would be able to do it with me to do the remaining I/O. They weren't able to commit the time (day jobs are a nasty business).
So I was left with a RAM-based port that had quite a lot of work in it.
As the RP2040 architecture is similar and I was bored one day I got a RP2040 development environment up and running and copied the ESP32 code into it. It worked OK and given the low cost of the Pico and increasingly availability of Pico peripherals it seemed sensible to put a bit more work in.

The alpha got quite a lot of interest here so I pursued the effort with Mick's help on early docs and the PIO support. Of course this was done with Geoff's knowledge and agreement to create a full manual and so here we are....

The difference between this and my preferred ESP port is that the ESP gives a reason for the second processor running the wifi and IP stack whereas on the Pico I don't even turn the second processor on as it really gives no advantage to MMBasic
Edited 2021-10-12 00:27 by matherp

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmm, I haven't been there in a while but I wonder if there's something over at the B4R (BASIC for Arduino) camp that could help with the remote programming.

They support the ESP devices.

First thing I found appears to be OTA firmware update:

link

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 03:36pm 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Then again, the Pico is so hyper-cute, cuddly and stupidly cheap (a quid or two cheaper than a 28-pin PIC32MX170), it has to be a great platform even if it hasn't got wi-fi.  
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 05:23pm 11 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  I did a port to the ESP32 up to and including full Basic support with SDcard and wifi but no other I/O. I wanted to then make the user I/F available through a browser via wifi rather than a serial terminal. This isn't an area I know anything about and don't have the inclination to learn so I proposed off-line a joint effort with someone who would be able to do it with me to do the remaining I/O.

Interesting. How did you see this "user I/F available through a browser via wifi" happening/looking?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:06am 12 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@lizby

"Interesting"
No kidding...ESP32 would be freaking awesome. We have enough smart cookies in this community to help make this happen.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024