Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:20 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Mark from 'Mark Fixes Stuff' has lost everything in a terrible fire

Page 2 of 3    
Davo99
Guru

Posted: 10:37pm 21 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Pooplicker said  

I am out of this Kindergarten-Thread, sorry for taking anything serious in here!

Davo99 said  

Lets see if she comes back to make a liar of himself an 8th time and get a prize?

Pooey said  

Being not back for tf, just for you Mick.

And we have a Winner!
Come on Down!
The showcase tonight contains everything a 6 Yo mental Giant could dream of including a fully equipped dolls house, Kindergarten social Skills majoring in decency, credibility and Maturity at the Dame Edna Everidge school of social Graces, a 12 months supply of Feminine Hygiene Products and for the grand prize, a full personality replacement and Sphincter relocation at Dr. Johns Hollywood surgery for the terminally insecure and socially undesirable, worth over $150K on it's own.
It's a big Job but we know how badly you need it!

Congratulations and Well Done young lady!
Please forget to come back in the very distant future when you have grown up and become a rational and normal human being to play again!!    

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:09am 22 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Settle down guys or I'll delete the thread.
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 03:34am 22 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Settle down guys or I'll delete the thread.

Good Idea, as it generally was generally ot and is tf.

And please do not sum me up with this guy as the difference in social quality is obvious.
Andre ... such a GURU?

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 05:57am 22 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is very simple, if you don't want to donate or contribute, is your right, don't do it.

If his history has touched your heart, and you feel that is a good idea to help, do it.

Our world is full of angry and pain, we don't need more of it. What we need is more kindness and love.

Feel free to like or dislike this situation, but do not be a hater, this is not good for you and for anyone.

Mark has helped the "RMC - The Cave" to fix and restore many of the computers and consoles that will be in the permanent RMC exhibition museum, preserving the memory of our loved old machines and their creators.

This was his last video on the RMC channel before the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL0Fv6anR5g

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 07:31am 22 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

LeoNicolas said  

Our world is full of angry and pain, we don't need more of it. What we need is more kindness and love.

Feel free to like or dislike this situation, but do not be a hater, this is not good for you and for anyone.

Well said.

Sorry to be a part of turning your thread into the opposite of the good will you intended but I could not help but take exception at the position of some and their mean spirited attitude. To grandstand on good peoples misfortune is the lowest of the low IMHO. If you don't sympathise or don't want to help, just shut the hell up and move on is the decent thing to do.

I feel deeply for anyone in his position and commend you on your generous and kind spirit to help the guy. It will mean a lot to him and be a great support well beyond the Financial side just knowing people out there want to help and are thinking of him. .

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 07:50am 22 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  I'm with @Poppy on this; sh1t happens in life and we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and move on....we don't make "woe is me" fecking videos about it.

I have lost a hell of a lot more than this guy but hey-ho, some kid just lost a parent in a motoring accident as I type this.

Tinine said it all in my opinion.

And this does not relate to making individual decisions about this issue as well.

So feel free to whatever, but stay democratic!

Devo!
You are simply a pimitive troll!
Andre ... such a GURU?

bobele

Posted: 11:03am 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow.... this escalated quickly.

I can very much feel the pain of Mark seeing the video of what he has lost. And I do think calling him a sissy totally inappropriate. But while I do not really know about Poppys background and if maybe he has reasons for his words, I at least can see something true in what he said.

To make myself clear: Helping out others always is a good thing, but I think there are some things out of perspective from where I come from today. I live in Euskirchen, a small town near Cologne, which was quite heavily affected by a flood some weeks ago (I do not know if this is something international press is reporting about). While around us there are thousands of people having lost their home completely, hundreds dead, me and my family call ourselves happy just to have flooded our appartement but the house still standing an everybody being save. After weeks of no electricity and not being able to use the water from water tap for it being suspected to be contaminated, after days and days of shoveling mud and what is left of your belongings to the street for excavators to take it away it is a bit hard to read something about "floods leave something", but thats abolutely my personal problem.

Whats hard to take is that while we here are fobbed off by our government (promising help and then making applications for financial support prohibitively complicated) and having no way of getting our loss reimbursed (and we are talking several tenth of thousands of Euros), if you are Youtuber making video about Retro Computers you just have to make a pitiful video and post your patreon to make the whole world throw money at you. Thats what I meant about things getting out of perspective. I would never have the idea posting pictures of my drowned stuff asking for money on the internet while there are people only some kilometers away who still do not even have a heating in their homes. Not to mention the fact that probably nobody would even care, as I am no Youtuber with thousands of followers.

So yes, I can understand what Poppy is saying, I would just not have mentioned it. And if I felt the urge to do so, I would have tried to find more compassionate words. So yes, it really hurts me to see Mark and his burned stuff and his suffering, but like Poppy I can hardly stand that shifted percetion the internet tends to generate when it comes to determine what really is important and what is not.

And to make this absolutely clear: Me and my drowned belongings are ABSOLUTELY NOT! But thanks for reading.

realbobele

Posted: 11:10am 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Huh? Okay, I do not know why I really have TWO accounts here, but no: I am not a troll who just has registered to comment on this. Must get rid of this bobele-User to avoid accidentally using it again.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:43am 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

realbobele said  Huh? Okay, I do not know why I really have TWO accounts here, but no: I am not a troll who just has registered to comment on this. Must get rid of this bobele-User to avoid accidentally using it again.

So "bobele" and you are the same?!

Acutally we both a direct neighbours, I just helped out in Erftstadt as much as I could before getting ill from it (f...ing Corona).

My drying machine and all other stuff are still in use there.

I also spent money as well, to the township and to the voluntary fire department there. And I bet more than others did here!

But now I have to take care about my own home ... still expensively trying to help some homeless around getting into the cold season (not flood related).

So I personally do not have the time to make some sissy videos about it, but I am not commercially headed like f... youtubers!

In my opinion this whole issue still is ridiculous IN GENERAL and I stand to my opinion!
("Fingerhoff" got my address via PM, I am still waiting for him to show up having guts offending me!)

At all:  Help others, do as good as you can and do it directly around you ... but without showing off!
Andre ... such a GURU?

Goksteroo

Posted: 12:59pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"sissy video" vs "forum rant with threats of violence" - hmmm, which one to support and which one to silence?

realbobele

Posted: 01:21pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  
So "bobele" and you are the same?!

Yes

Poppy said  
Acutally we both a direct neighbours, I just helped out in Erftstadt as much as I could before getting ill from it (f...ing Corona).

My drying machine and all other stuff are still in use there.

I also spent money as well, to the township and to the voluntary fire department there. And I bet more than others did here!

But now I have to take care about my own home ... still expensively trying to help some homeless around getting into the cold season (not flood related).

Take care and all the best

Poppy said  
In my opinion this whole issue still is ridiculous IN GENERAL and I stand to my opinion!
("Fingerhoff" got my address via PM, I am still waiting for him to show up having guts offending me!)

In a community like this one we should do better than that, don't you think? Threatening each other really feels inappropriate...

Davo99
Guru

Posted: 02:06pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bobele said   if you are Youtuber making video about Retro Computers you just have to make a pitiful video and post your patreon to make the whole world throw money at you.

I would never have the idea posting pictures of my drowned stuff asking for money on the internet

Sorry, I can't even be polite about a naieve and stupid Comment like that.

You clearly have NO idea nor have paid attention to what you are talking about.
Did you even watch the Vids?

I did AGAIN and NO Where do I see him ASKING for money. If I missed it, Please post a link with the time stamp to where he asks for donations and I'll most Humbly apologise.  If I am right, then YOU should apologise for your statements and position you have taken from your mistake.

Secondly, did you pay ANY attention to the Donation page or have the first clue about those either?
He Says in the vid description OTHER people set it up for him and that's apparent on the page. Far as I'm aware, some if not all of those crowdfunded things can NOT be set up by the recipient, they have to be set up by someone else.

As to the note in the description on a vid, may not have been him put it there either. With YT you can allocate managers that have access and control of the content. Not at all uncommon especially with bigger pages. Looking at a cpouple of things there I get the impression this may be the situation. In any case, If people set this up for him and want to help, it would be rude not to put it up there and reject the offers of help people want to pass on.

Reading the comments, seems a lot of the donations financial and material are being donated because the people want to see him back making content again which they no doubt enjoyed and felt they benefited from. Nothing wrong with that from the Recipients or the contributors position.

I'm sure a lot of people have grown a Familiarity and sense of friendship with the guy seeing his Vids and feel heartbroken for him as many expressed in the comments. They probably want to help him and the only way they can do that is donate. May well make the people that do feel better.

I became good online friends with one of my viewers some years back. His home was burnt down in bushfires. I still remember talking to his wife and her account of her telling me they were driving through a wall of fire running into things they couldn't see, coughing and gasping for breath as they were bing cooked and said their goodbyes and I love You's to each other because they both though they were about to die and was no way they were getting out of it.
They survived by the skin of their teeth.  I donated my YT earnings that month to the fund raiser that was set up for him by the people on another forum we were on and he was a great contributor to.

Don't have to be on YT to have people set up fundraisers and want to help.

while there are people only some kilometres away who still do not even have a heating in their homes.

Franky, I'm astounded  by your attitude and others to even bring this sort of thing up.  I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes but no one was putting the computer guy in a Dick measuring contest of whom has had the toughest time or is worse off.  Millions of people experience all sorts of hardships and even though looking from the outside one Might say well it's not that bad, it's ALWAYS Bad when you are the one it happened to and have to endure the pain. I would have thought someone going through a significant loss and upheaval in their lives might have realised that but maybe they haven't been through enough yet to see the bigger picture.

Believe me, There are very few people in this world that come near what I have been though but I don't dismiss problems that I would love to have as the worst thing that happened to me as any less painful to the people going through them. It's all proportional and it's all painful.

People handle things in their own way like this guy did.
I the videos he pretty much shows what happened to his collection and workspace. He then says he thought he owed it to his viewers to let them wnow what happened.
I completely understand and com0pliment him on having the BALLS to do that rather than the pathetic notion he's a pussy.

It's also Clear that there is some misconceptions ( and I'd suggest personal hangups with some)  about what is involved in being a Tuber involves.  My Channel  is a little larger than the computer guy but still peanuts as far as channels go and I can get easy 50+ Comments a day and a LOT of questions from people wanting help with what I have shown.

I try to help people with sensible questions because it can mean a lot to people to be able to do what you show. Maybe there is something they don't understand and want clarification with. If they have followed you so far and can't get something to work, It would be very frustrating to have to throw it away because you didn't get one piece of the 100 Piece puzzle.

When I stopped posting on my channel I got many HUNDREDS of people messaging me for years, Mostly asking was everything OK, was I well and telling me they hoped to see me back.

As far as Sissys go, maybe I was one because I DIDN"T tell my ( very loyal as it turned out) viewers why I stopped posting. I would suggest this guy has bigger balls BY telling people what happened and explaining why he won't be doing vids for a while at least. Not much different to suddenly stop talking to a friend. In Hindsight maybe I should have just said I won't be doing anything for a while even if I didn't say why.  Kudos to this guy for having more Balls and appreciation for his fans than I did at the time.

I could well be called a sissy for Crying for days after my cat died last year. Hardly the end of the world but had someone called me sissy in the frame of mind I was at the time, I could have snapped their neck and not been the least concerned about it.  
Don't ever make the mistake of thinking someone weak because they are emotional under stress. Those same emotions give you power to kill that you never had any other time.
You obviously have no idea what a person is capable of under enough stress and the frightening power they can have at the same time.  Ask me how I know....

Quote  Not to mention the fact that probably nobody would even care, as I am no Youtuber with thousands of followers.

No, there is every chance they wouldn't care about you but why are you holding that against him?  What have you done for thousands of others? Have you entertained them, amused them, given them some contentment or a laugh? Helped them with their hobby or solved a problem with something they were interested in?
Probably not but that is no more a fault on your part than it is computer guys for people he has done these things for wanting to help him.

So yes, I can understand what Poppy is saying, I would just not have mentioned it. And if I felt the urge to do so, I would have tried to find more compassionate words.

Well it seems your attitude is as at fault for the flawed reasons you base it on as is what comes across as jealousy.

Quote  So yes, it really hurts me to see Mark and his burned stuff and his suffering, but like Poppy I can hardly stand that shifted percetion the internet tends to generate when it comes to determine what really is important and what is not.

From what you have said, you lost your house and possessions and he lost his. How is that any different? Seems as Important to you both, sure as hell would be importand and devastating to me.  Nothing to do with any determination made by the net. Loosing your home IS a big deal to anyone.

Seems to me your aggravation and that of others is jealousy because you are not getting the some ( deserved) outpouring of help someone else is.
Understandable but a Mis direction of your grief and frustrations.

Put it this way, would you feel the same way if Utubers started a fund for you and your situation?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:34pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Goksteroo said  "sissy video" vs "forum rant with threats of violence" - hmmm, which one to support and which one to silence?

I do not get your point?
In a democracy there should never be a versus, just pluralism as long as it is elaborated and therefore confirmed with respect!
Your rhetoric just seems inappropriate appearing just primitively provocative.

realbobele said  

Take care and all the best

Thanks and as well for you.
But I am not complaining, I just had big luck, so I am just trying to give something back to others who did not and do not have my "lucky life".
There always is someone having bad luck right next to us, nobody needs a "Virtual Mark", except his own neighbours!
Everybody ask yourself when you really helped someone else trying to support him changing his life for good or just a little better than before?
I for myself even cannot say that I have done enough yet to say that honestly to myself!

realbobele said  
  Poppy said  

In a community like this one we should do better than that, don't you think? Threatening each other really feels inappropriate...

I am not sure what you (both) mean with "threatening" (sim.: to menace)?

In the meaning of this word I am aware of, it is nothing I am coming up with.

There are just 2 trolls primitively offending someone else within this community (the one more than the other) and I am just marking them being cowards! (Q.E.D.)
I think nobody should say anything he or she will not do anytime and anywhere else the same way as well, only trolls hide in the anonymity of a forum!
I am just standing upright and everybody can find out himself and my very own experience is that nobody really does!

So no matter who, just get an appointment with me and come around ... and we can discuss it all face to face! But actually I am not interested in meeting people without integrity and this is already obvious in the sense of their writings before.

That is all about this issue.

OT is just OT!
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:39pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Davo99 said  

Q.E.D.!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Goksteroo

Posted: 11:53pm 25 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  In a democracy there should never be a versus, just pluralism as long as it is elaborated and therefore confirmed with respect!

Threats of violence, and/or implied threats of violence, are not respectful.

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 06:45am 26 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Goksteroo said  
  Poppy said  In a democracy there should never be a versus, just pluralism as long as it is elaborated and therefore confirmed with respect!

Threats of violence, and/or implied threats of violence, are not respectful.

Of course they are not, so what do you want to tell us.

Please elaborate.
Andre ... such a GURU?

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 07:19am 26 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am very sad about the fact that now also in this forum such tones are struck. I have held back so far because I could not really contribute anything meaningful. It would be better if certain people in this forum would think about it once whether it would not simply also better to be silent if they can not really contribute something positive or want - if you have nothing to say - just shut up!

Just my two cents - Over and out...

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:33am 26 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:34am 26 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Agreed.

And lets not beat around the bush at this point: the problem is POPPY.

Poppy STARTED this by making a post that struck a nerve with MORE then just Davo99.
At that point, he should have felt the vibe if he had any tact, but he has the audacity to claim it is everyone else's problem....

I will be emailing Glenn(Gizmo) about this.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 07:53am 26 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your opinion!
Sorry guys if there is no constructive elaboration there is no respect from my side, you are just j+++ing-off as much as others do!

Poor day for this forum!

Gizmo really should delete it all, and please keep your 2 cents the next time I am asking something, I am fed up by guys like you!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Page 2 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024