Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:26 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : What has happened to the CMM2 on this board.

Page 1 of 3    
mclout999
Guru

Posted: 01:42pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Has the PicoMite ended all activities on the CMM2? Initially, I found this forum one of the most compelling reasons to get the CMM2.  I was encouraged to see such robust support and development.  Is this a normal progression on new devices here?  I have no frame of referance, as the CMM2 was the first project I followed here. Gen 2 came out and soon after I got mine it dwindled down to its present state of activity.  I was just wondering.  I still love the CMM2 but it seems sad that it has dropped off so much already.

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 02:23pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said   Is this a normal progression on new devices here?

Yes!
It was the same with the Maximite when the Micromite ousted him. The name for this is "evolution" (Survival of the Fittest).
And Indeed, it is worrying!

Michael
Edited 2021-11-02 00:25 by twofingers

electricat

Posted: 02:39pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hmmm should`nt we write programs for cmm2 then :)
Edited 2021-11-02 00:39 by electricat

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:44pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The CMM2 firmware is robust and fully documented. If bugs are found then they will be fixed see https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=14194

The lack of posts about the CMM2 is presumably down to no-one posting about what they are doing with it (or not)

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:54pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

don't really see why it should be worrying, the platform is mature and has just settled into a maintenance phase where major new posts concerning the firmware are bugfixes and occasional enhancements. You should not measure the success of a platform by them.

As electricat points out, with the heavy lift of dev and initial surge of production pretty much over, perhaps it is time for the community to step up to the plate.

I do stuff with loads of MicroMite Mk2 - tons of them but there are very few posts here on that platform for the same reasons. It has just settled down to doing what it is supposed to do - just like the CMM2.

Chill-out, write stuff, publish it  - or don't.
Edited 2021-11-02 00:55 by CaptainBoing

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dear mclout999,

I have the same feeling as you have. We are both "late adopters". I bough one of the later gen1's and you bought one of the first gen2's.
There was a lot of energy in this forum for the CMM2 when it was in development, and early stages of maternity. Now the curiosity of many has dwindled, and some jumped onto another ship. Others may still be playing with it, but are not posting much.

For those who saw an active CMM2 forum crumble to almost no activity on this product it is demotivating. I agree.

There was a "1 page programming challenge" on the CMM2 half a year back (or was it one year back ?) that brought a revival of the CMM2 activity. And I think it is up to the forum (meaning US, not them...) to put some energy back into the CMM2. It is a marvelous and fast machine, waiting for a new challenge.

But someone has to start the activity. May it be us (you and me). Just post a challenge, and people will join, as happens when you post a question. One thing we have to keep in mind when setting the challenge though, is that it should be do-able. With the CMM2 (especially gen2) it is easy to put the bar too high. And not all of us have the time and skills to come up with entries that satisfy. But they may want to join, if the challenge is suitable.
If I look at myself it already took 1 week all evenings to write this sokoban clone. And I think that should be the amount of effort you could expect people to spend for a challenge entry.

Just look at the programs that have been created for the CMM2, much of it is a re-write, and enhancement, or a expansion of previous work. And just a few of us are capable of really creating a commercial grade product, if time permits.

Maybe this is the time to start a challenge for the best christmas screensaver for the CMM2. Or something like that...

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. it is the same for all club's I am member of. It only lives when people put initiative in them. My model airplane club is full of energy when we put otu challenges and BBQ's and stuff. When we don't ... the club fades away...
Edited 2021-11-02 02:07 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:13pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+2 to what Volhout said.

You generate interest and content by posting interesting things and content .

> There was a "1 page programming challenge" on the CMM2 half a year back (or was it one year back ?)

February/March 2021 - https://youtu.be/09I0LDv7SiM

My intent is that at the beginning of 2022 I will poll to see if there is sufficient interest (5+ people who can honestly say they will enter) and then organise a 2022 Challenge (hopefully with my collaborators from this year), I will again produce a results video as community outreach. I also intend to allow entry to PicoMite projects using the common 2.8" (?) SPI display module.

This shouldn't discourage anyone else from organising something in the meantime .

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-11-02 02:36 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 01 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

From my side, I'm having some life challenges and I will not able to complete my CMM2 projects for while.

I'm missing to play with it, but for now I have other family priorities.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:02pm 02 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One other thing to note--other than Mauro (whose ability astounds), almost all major contributors to CMM2 applications were new to this forum after the introduction of the CMM2: VegiPete, LeoNichols, Jirsoft, PeteCotton, Thwill, Epsilon, TweakerRay, Martin Scragg, John "Jay" Crutti (frnno967), Geoff Camp (Goksteroo), William Leue, bar1010 (apologies to any omitted).

Interest in controller-type devices like the Picomite may just be reversion to the mean with the old regulars.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:10pm 02 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  ... Thwill ...

Actually I've been here longer. I was a late CMM1 adopter and was working towards a uM based handheld console with a 16x16 RED LED matrix when Geoff, Peter and the gang dropped the CMM2 bombshell ... I'm slowly heading back in that direction (by way of MMB4L), though now it will probably be PicoMite based. There will also be a handheld text adventure machine with LCD display and that dreadful I2C keyboard.

https://youtu.be/iwy1vCu-SLg
https://youtu.be/bI9LFztEO0c

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-11-02 23:17 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

frnno967

Posted: 09:05pm 02 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Work on Maxiterm has slowed down because I haven't obtained a Gen 2 yet and didn't want to spend more time until the program could be updated to take full advantage of the capability of both generations. And with the Mega65 available for pre-order, my attention has been diverted to the latest shiny object :)

But still here following the forum waiting for the Xmas coding competition!
Jay Crutti: Ham Radio Operator, K5JCJ. Computer Enthusiast. Musician. Engineer.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:31pm 02 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I agree with the other posts, and do feel I need to say that few to no CMM2 posts on the forum now DOES NOT mean people here are no longer interested, just that pretty much all but perhaps a really obscure bug have been found and squished, so the firmware is pretty much stable at this point, so you don't really see CMM2 bug-type posts anymore, as 99% of them have been found and squished.

I am a seller of the CMM2 and the G2, but the global silicon chip shortage has pretty much stopped me selling any more units till we can get our hands on more ARM chips.  I have been able to source a handful of genuine ARM chips, but I have to fit them myself, which is time consuming vs JLCPCB who normally build the boards for all us sellers.  

I'm still in awe of the capabilities of the CMM2, especially the G2 with more RAM and higher resolution graphics + mouse support etc, but as I run my own ship(business), I have very little time to tinker with things like this, as I am running around doing other day-to-day business things, which is why I personally don't post much about the CMM2.  If I had plenty of time....   Perhaps I will have a good play around during Christmas with one(I kept one unit here for myself) and come up with a plethora of threads.  

Generally speaking, once something has had its development and debug cycle on the forums - which results in lots and lots of posts, things on THAT project settle down, and it's on with the next project.  That is the PicoMite port right now, and it's first stable beta has just been released, so post on issues with it will probably also slow down, as once again - all bugs are found, reported and squished.

I think it is safe for me to speak for all members of the forum, that everyone here is still very much interested in the CMM2, and certainly do read any new posts about anything to do with it, from bug reports to new programs etc, so please do continue to post any questions or new programs you might have created - plenty of members will love to read your posts.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 02:37am 03 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been around here since original Colour Maximite times, enjoying both the devices and the people here. I ordered a CMM2 pretty much the day I saw it advertised here. It was an awesome companion while house bound because of Covid. I've recently been let out of the house and started a new job which has significantly reduced my available time for hobby programming but I am definately still having fun with all the various 'mites in my collection. And more CMM2 efforts are coming...
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

LeoNicolas

Guru

Posted: 03:22am 03 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@vegipete I really miss the CMM2 challenges  

It is not for the challenge itself, but for the online friends I made on that challenges

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:50am 03 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The thread starter has not responded yet to my invitation to issue a new challenge, so maybe (s)he is not interested ?
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 03 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  The thread starter has not responded yet to my invitation to issue a new challenge, so maybe (s)he is not interested ?

Sorry Having a bit of a health issue right now and can't even deal right now.  Eye infection that is not responding to Meds so throbbing pain in my eye is kind of limiting my willingness to do anything right now.  Will try to remember to get back to this.  Thanks. I thought your suggestion was for everyone as well.  Anyway, solder on in my absence all.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:07am 04 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Take good care of yourself....    
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 12:22pm 04 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the past, I always had accessed this forum every day, but currently, I see if there is something new weekly. It's notorious that the software development for the CMM2 was slowed down severely.

For me, the last trimester is very hard in the industry that I work in, and the sales grow a lot.

I like a lot to develop in my beloved CMM2, but currently, it's a question of sanity. For a while, I need to rest in my so rare free time to not be burnout in this highest sales season.

Soon as possible I will return to continue my projects and develop some demoscenes (Demo X2?).

Best wishes to all.

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 12:45pm 04 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have it similar as Mauro, too much work in daily job, too little free time...

And I started few (mini)programs for CMM2 in parallel, so now I have the problem finish at least one of them  

But hopefully Christmas time will be nicer to us  
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

epsilon

Posted: 03:18pm 04 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This thread feels like I'm back in school explaining why I didn't do my homework ('I was busy making demos!').
Anyway, my excuse is that my CMM2 died. It must have noticed my mood because I burned out on it a little after putting together xDragon. Then I fell into a black hole called FPGA, and Covid lockdown ended.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024