Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:03 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite 1.28" round display ideas challenge

Page 2 of 2    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 24 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Lance,

lizby said  Approximately. I thought the "3 lives" meant the game was over when the apple was eaten 3 times, but it apparently continues, but at some point the number of lives is reduced. I guess what I should have asked is "What constitutes a 'life'?"

The player loses a life every time the "snake" hits the perimeter or eats its own tail - which isn't always obvious when a slip of the fingers occurs near the boundary, perhaps I should make the boundary flash when this happens? When the player has lost all 3 lives the game is over. The player's score is the number of "apples" eaten.

Is it possible you are not familiar with the phenomenon which is Snake? I thought it was ubiquitous due to its inclusion on generations of Nokia mobile phones.

lizby said  And shouldn't the snake be eating mice--what's an apple got to do with it? In the snake and apple story I'm familiar with, it's the humans who eat the apple, not the snake.

It's a fruitarian snake.

lizby said  Sorry, unmitigated pedantry.)

I wouldn't worry I'm sure I'll have opportunity to pay you back .

Merry Christmas,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-25 07:38 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:49pm 24 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think I had heard of a "snake" game, but never played it, though I did have a couple of Nokia phones. As a person approaching 30 (and a mainframe programmer) when I first read about these "personal computer" things in 1975 (I think in Byte), and said to myself, "I need to have one of these", I missed many of the things which occupied people on PCs while in their teens.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 24 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  As a person approaching 30 (and a mainframe programmer) when I first read about these "personal computer" things in 1975 (I think in Byte), and said to myself, "I need to have one of these", I missed many of the things which occupied people on PCs while in their teens.

I wish I'd been a few years older and on the other side of the Atlantic at that time; I've read a lot about the start of the "micro computer" industry (wasn't "personal computer" a later term introduced by Big Blue ?) and find back-copies of Byte to be a fascinating read.

Merry Christmas,

Tom

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:29pm 24 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  on the other side of the Atlantic at that time

It was an exciting time. Everything was hard. It took me (with zero electronics experience and not much to go on in the way of guidance/information and not very much money to spend) over a year to build a suitable power supply with +/- 5V and +/- 12V for the S100 bus. Not the Silicon Valley degree of ferment, but there was a very active microcomputer club in the Washington, D.C. area.

But then when I took my finished product (in a wooden box that I made--portable: it had a handle) in to my place of employment, one of the more tech-savvy networking managers said, "What would anyone ever do with a toy like that?". Now we know.

I had said a decade earlier when I was in grad school, "I don't want to go to the library, I want the library to come to me". Now it does.

Merry Christmas.

~
Edited 2021-12-25 10:31 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 30 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For anyone interested the code is now up on GitHub:

https://github.com/thwill1000/mmbasic-polar-snake

I'll probably do another revision and (poor) video when I get the correct display.

Best wishes,

Tom

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:50pm 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter, Lewis,

The display arrived, thank you, I didn't realise quite how small it was, very cute.

Additional thanks to Peter for the PicoMite VGA PCB, it will (after a flurry of eBay activity and a wait for packages from the mysterious Orient) be displacing my CMM1 from its case - alas I think the latter's day have gone.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-01-15 02:21 by thwill

Batteryman

Posted: 04:27pm 07 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not sure if anyone can help me?

I recently purchased the RP2040 LCD 1.28 display with Raspberry build in (no switches). When initially powered up using USB C cable to computer, it came to life and it displayed the sensor information continuously.

I downloaded the MMBASIC version 5.07.07 from http://geoffg.net/picomite.html.

I managed to upload the .uf2 (PicoMiteV5.07.07.uf2) to the device all ok.

Using the OPTION setup commands posted above:-

OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,GP11,GP28
OPTION LCDPANEL GC9A01, LANDSCAPE,GP8,GP12,GP9,GP13

Then using LCDPANEL TEST command, all good! I put a program to display the time from an example in the manual which works fine, however, the display's backlight is going on/off once every second. The backlight started doing this as soon as the PicoMiteV5.07.07.uf2 file was dragged to the device folder and automatically reset.

Have I used the incorrect .uf2 file?

Many thanks

Peter

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:50pm 07 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds like your display is using GP15 as the backlight pin.

try

OPTION LCDPANEL DISABLE
OPTION HEARTBEAT OFF
OPTION LCDPANEL GC9A01, LANDSCAPE,GP8,GP12,GP9,GP15

Then set BACKLIGHT 50 until you know if 100 is full bright or off
Edited 2023-10-08 02:51 by matherp

Batteryman

Posted: 12:42pm 08 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Matherp for your message, I tried your suggestion, but now it remains off all the time. This happened as soon as the command option heartbeat off was executed. I then tried to set backlight to 50 and then 100, but it remains off.

I assume the OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,GP11,GP28 is correct?

I have tried it on the arduino ide and it works all ok. I however prefer to use mmbasic!

If I could only find a schematic to see what pins have been used on this particular waveshare LCD device, that would solve it.

Many thanks

Peter

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:07pm 08 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try going back to your original settings

OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,GP11,GP28
OPTION LCDPANEL GC9A01, LANDSCAPE,GP8,GP12,GP9,GP13

but set heartbeat off

Then try

SETPIN GP25,dout
PIN(gp25)=1 or pin(GP25)=0

Batteryman

Posted: 05:45pm 09 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The device has died! It no longer responds to the computer (no com port).

I tried to press the boot button to get the drive letter back so I could drag the firmware over, but this also does not work. I guess the static has done it!

Thank you for your suggestions on this, much appreciated.

I shall come back to this project again in the future.

Regards

Pete

phil99

Guru

Posted: 07:19am 10 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a last ditch effort, try connecting the RUN / Reset pin to 3.3V via a 1k resistor.
The internal pullup has quite a high value so leakage current or static could be holding it low.
Might not work but costs little to try.

Batteryman

Posted: 04:44pm 10 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Still the same, thank you for the suggestion.

I looked in the setup code which worked good on the arduino and this is the pin config

#define LCD_DC_PIN 8
#define LCD_CS_PIN 9
#define LCD_CLK_PIN 10
#define LCD_MISO_PIN 12 (SPI reset I believe in Picomite MMBasic)
#define LCD_MOSI_PIN 11
#define LCD_RST_PIN 12  (LCD Reset)
#define LCD_BL_PIN 25

MMbasic did not like that I was using gp12 for option lcdpanel command after the option system spi command also using pin 12 for spi reset.

when I get the new display, I'll let you know and hopefully we can bit bang it again..!

Pete

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:49pm 10 Oct 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Given the above you want

OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,gp11,gp28
OPTION LCDPANEL GC9A01, LANDSCAPE,GP8,GP12,GP9,GP25

Unless your display is now faulty that should definitely work. Do check with BACKLIGHT 50 until you are sure which way it is wired
Edited 2023-10-11 02:53 by matherp

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024